F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2011 F150 Lariat Supercrew
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, sort of convinced myself that I should look for an older truck in good shape, < 100k miles, with the max tow so I can actually have that warm fuzzy feeling while towing my TT again. Any tips for coaxing one of the used car search engines into producing a list w/max tow? auto trader used to allow you to add custom search words. I don't see that option anymore. :(

I had been thinking of getting a late model '15+, but between what I'm reading about the low mileage rattles, propensity to leak fluids at low mileage, plastic oil pan (what bean counter in their right mind said, "HEY! PLASTIC LASTS A REALLY LONG TIME IN THE ELEMENTS WITHOUT DEGRADING!!!!"?), I'm leaning more and more towards either a) screw that - get an older 11-14 (devil I know) but with the max tow, or b) you know, there are some dealerships out there that will do custom orders for you at 3% below invoice? Thinking about ordering a F-250 w/6.2l and not looking back. Certainly wouldn't ever worry about payload again. I have no plans to tow a behemoth of a trailer. 15k towing capacity would be a-ok....

·
Registered
2018 F-150 XLT SCAB 4x4 3.55:1
208 Posts
I don't know about coaxing information out of the online listings but the 2014 Max Payload/Tow I looked at had Load Range E tires and 7 bolt hubs. Should be able to see 7 lug nuts per wheel in the photos.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Figured out a quicker way to do a first pass discrimination - look for tow mirrors. I know it's not 100% reliable, but did make it a lot easier for me to quickly sort through and cast off anything definitely wouldn't meet my needs.

·
Registered
7,736 Posts
Yeah the tow mirrors mean there is an very good chance its a max tow for 11-14 since that was the only way you could get them from the factory. Then you can just quickly scroll through the pictures and find the ones with mirrors.

The 2014's and I believe the 2013's have the Superduty mirrors like these and they look different than the 11-12 mirrors:

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Sky

For 2015 to 2017 the max tow package was a lot less important. It did not increase the GVWR or the RAWR. Basically, all 2015+ truck have the payload capacity of a 11-14 max tow truck.

In 2018, the max tow package did start to add some capacity in the form of a higher RAWR, but GVWR stayed the same. 2018 max tow also got a larger radiator than the 2015 to 2017 trucks.

Why no 7.3L F250? Or the GM 6.6L gasser. I literally just talked to a guy this weekend who had a new Silverado 2500 with the 6.6L gas engine. He said he had been towing his toy hauler with an F250 6.2L and said he had been getting 6-8 mpg. Said his new GM 6.6L was pulling the same trailer getting 10-12mpg.

Reactions: Arkansas Eco

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
F250: Finding a used one right now is well nigh impossible. A new one, though. I was shocked. I priced that out. A decently appointed (value package) lariat gasser comes out at about same price as F150 w/Ecoboost XLT. F150 Lariat - F250 beats pricing. There's some dealers out there advertising taking custom orders for 3% MSRP below invoice. That puts what I want to get into the mid-to-high $50k. Only reason I haven't pulled the trigger (I mean really, at this point, where am I going to go with the TT this year? Kids are in school. Campgrounds in New England are going to be shutting down pretty soon) is I'm still struggling with paying... $50k! .... for a truck. Only reason I priced out the Lariat is wife really REALLY needs the power adjustable seat to get comfortable.

GMC: Does GMC use the same cabin for their 2500/3500 trucks as for the 1500? If so GMC won't work. We tried sitting in a late model crew cab GMC 1500 last month. Didn't even take it for a test drive. I'm 6'3". My wife is 5'10" I put my seat ALL the way back. Our kids are tall - about 5'10" each and growing. When we set up the GMC to where I was comfortable in the front it was obvious there wasn't going to be enough leg room in the back. I even went back online later after checking the published #s to make SURE we were sitting in a crew cab. No joy. :(

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are you willing to fly out and drive back to find a better deal on a rust free vehicle?
I have my limits, but yeah. Not flying out to California, that's for sure.

TX: I can see my wife snagging that trip and going to see her aunt in the old folks home before driving back in the truck. We missed last year for obvious reasons, haven't gotten there yet this year either. She's slipping mentally so we don't have a whole lot of time left to make another visit while she can still appreciate it.

·
Registered
7,736 Posts
F250: Finding a used one right now is well nigh impossible. A new one, though. I was shocked. I priced that out. A decently appointed (value package) lariat gasser comes out at about same price as F150 w/Ecoboost XLT. F150 Lariat - F250 beats pricing. There's some dealers out there advertising taking custom orders for 3% MSRP below invoice. That puts what I want to get into the mid-to-high $50k. Only reason I haven't pulled the trigger (I mean really, at this point, where am I going to go with the TT this year? Kids are in school. Campgrounds in New England are going to be shutting down pretty soon) is I'm still struggling with paying... $50k! .... for a truck. Only reason I priced out the Lariat is wife really REALLY needs the power adjustable seat to get comfortable.

GMC: Does GMC use the same cabin for their 2500/3500 trucks as for the 1500? If so GMC won't work. We tried sitting in a late model crew cab GMC 1500 last month. Didn't even take it for a test drive. I'm 6'3". My wife is 5'10" I put my seat ALL the way back. Our kids are tall - about 5'10" each and growing. When we set up the GMC to where I was comfortable in the front it was obvious there wasn't going to be enough leg room in the back. I even went back online later after checking the published #s to make SURE we were sitting in a crew cab. No joy. :(
That seems very weird on the GM cab. The new cab(2019+) is larger than the previous gen by a good amount. I've sat in the back of a previous gen GMC Denali crew cab for 3 days riding aroudn with my coworker in Baton Rouge and had plenty of room at 6' tall and him being a little over 6' in the front. I actually think it was a lot more comfortable than the plywood sheet that Ford puts in the back of their crew cabs. The rear seats in my truck and my other coworkers 2018 Platinum F150 are NOT comfortable.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That seems very weird on the GM cab. The new cab(2019+) is larger than the previous gen by a good amount. I've sat in the back of a previous gen GMC Denali crew cab for 3 days riding aroudn with my coworker in Baton Rouge and had plenty of room at 6' tall and him being a little over 6' in the front. I actually think it was a lot more comfortable than the plywood sheet that Ford puts in the back of their crew cabs. The rear seats in my truck and my other coworkers 2018 Platinum F150 are NOT comfortable.
I guess I'll take another look. I could have sworn we sat in a '19. For sure the rear seat was COMFORTABLE. Just the legroom was MEH. That's the huge gripe we have about the F150 - rear seats suck. We replaced our dying Expedition with it. At the time I would have preferred to grab another Expy but I was up against a wall to find one quick (or just not camp that year). It was old, not worth throwing another transmission in given the state of the rest of the vehicle.

When we go camping, we're generally dragging the camper far. Nova Scotia at least once a year (wife is from there, man is she homesick at this point). Went to PA and VA 2 years ago. Would like to head out and see my sister at some point in ND and do stops along the way. The rear seat just isn't that comfortable other than rear leg room.

·
Registered
662 Posts
2015s and 2016s have metal oil pans in the 3.5 eco. Only the 2.7 has a plastic pan those years.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have my limits, but yeah. Not flying out to California, that's for sure.

TX: I can see my wife snagging that trip and going to see her aunt in the old folks home before driving back in the truck. We missed last year for obvious reasons, haven't gotten there yet this year either. She's slipping mentally so we don't have a whole lot of time left to make another visit while she can still appreciate it.
I'm originally from Maine so I know all about the rust, a 100k mile vehicle out west is cleaner than a 50-60k vehicle in the northeast.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts