F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck is in the body shop (don't ask). In the accident, one wheel and tire was damaged, and that best thing about the crash is I get new tires.
I bought this truck with newer model 20" wheels installed, so i am a little limited on tire selection. I use 275/55/R20.
It has Pirelli Scorpion ATR tires, and they are the worst tires I have ever owned. My truck sits for several days in a row, and those tires flat spot bad, sitting on dirt. They have no traction on wet pavement, and snow.. forget it.
I tow a 26' 7000 lb RV during the camping season.
I want to get rid of the P rated Pirellis for many reasons, but the biggest is they are squirmy as hell when towing.
After a good deal of research, I am seriously looking at the Cooper AT3 series, and would love to find somebody that uses the AT3 4S series, which have the newer 'XL' load rating. They are load rated at 2,833 lbs @ 50psi, over 400 lbs over the Pirellis. More than enough to handle my RV.
I know the truck will suffer major gas mileage loss if I put heavy E rated LT tires on it, like the AT3 XLT, which are 11 pounds heavier than the 4S, and 13 pounds heavier than the Pirellis.
Has anyone used an XL rated tire when towing? I figure a 1200-1300 lb payload. Any thoughts are welcome.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I've got the stock size XL rated tires in the same OEM 20" size. I don't have those exact brand tires (mine are Pathfinder A/T from Discount Tire now), but the ratings are the same and they are much better towing then the P rated tires it came with.. Mine had the Bridgestone Revo OEM tires on it from new and they sucked... I ditched them with only about 20k miles on them and they had so much tread left, the tire shop gave me $20/tire for them when I got the new XL ones at that time (not Discount Tire, as I am on my second set of XL tires now.. 86k miles on the truck now) I would have just given them to them, but they made the offer...

Anyway.... The XL's have the extra load and don't weigh as much as LT rated tires, so that's why I went with them. I pump them up to #50 when towing and they are very solid compared to the P rated tires.

Good luck!

Mitch

·
Registered
15 Posts
Those tires should do great. I have Cooper ATP that are SL rated @ 2756 lbs. 265/70/18. I put them up to their max 44 psi when towing and they ride solid. I have 33ft overall length TT usually around 7500 lbs loaded and 1100 lbs on the hitch. Those tires you’re putting on might be my next tires. They’ll at least be a top contender. With 50 psi available they should handle any load an f150 can handle just fine.

I think many forget that all terrains are a much heavier duty tire than what comes on our trucks stock and think we need a load E tire to fix this. The factory tires are going to be for the best economy. They come with the lightest flimsy tires you can put on a truck usually. Probably another CAFE number shaver. Basically any heavier duty tire we switch to should provide much better stability towing than the fake stock truck tires.

Even with the SL rating my tires have, I ended up with 400lbs more per tire of load rating than the stockers. Like you noticed we don’t have to get a load E tire with 12 more lbs a piece of performance robbing weight. The real deal is checking and comparing all the specs of the tires to what it’s replacing. The GT350R doesn’t have 15 lbs Rims at 5 grand a piece because weight doesn’t matter. XL load rated all terrains are pretty much our best all around performance choice for a 150. My opinion of course.

Anyways, my picky self would rock those tires in a heart beat. I’d Check the personal reviews first as well since those tires have been out long enough now to have some good feed back. I haven’t tire shopped recently. There should be some people just like us who gave them a go. Look for reviews with any 150 or 1500 truck that does some towing. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
You might consider checking 275/60R20 as well. Its only slighty taller and will fit the stock suspension. It may just open up some more options.

I run 275/60R20 duratracs and so no noticeable reduction in mpg’s.

·
Registered
58 Posts
My truck is in the body shop (don't ask). In the accident, one wheel and tire was damaged, and that best thing about the crash is I get new tires.
I bought this truck with newer model 20" wheels installed, so i am a little limited on tire selection. I use 275/55/R20.
It has Pirelli Scorpion ATR tires, and they are the worst tires I have ever owned. My truck sits for several days in a row, and those tires flat spot bad, sitting on dirt. They have no traction on wet pavement, and snow.. forget it.
I tow a 26' 7000 lb RV during the camping season.
I want to get rid of the P rated Pirellis for many reasons, but the biggest is they are squirmy as hell when towing.
After a good deal of research, I am seriously looking at the Cooper AT3 series, and would love to find somebody that uses the AT3 4S series, which have the newer 'XL' load rating. They are load rated at 2,833 lbs @ 50psi, over 400 lbs over the Pirellis. More than enough to handle my RV.
I know the truck will suffer major gas mileage loss if I put heavy E rated LT tires on it, like the AT3 XLT, which are 11 pounds heavier than the 4S, and 13 pounds heavier than the Pirellis.
Has anyone used an XL rated tire when towing? I figure a 1200-1300 lb payload. Any thoughts are welcome.
Im running Falken in an e rated tire in my 2018. Much better planted over the stock tires. I pull about 7500 lbs loaded travel trailer and this makes the ride much more stable. Falken Wildpeak AT3w come in your tire size in an XL rated tire if thats what your looking for. These tires have great handling characteristics in mud and snow, as well as rain and highway. Minimal road nose over my OEM Michelin’s. Price point is very reasonable.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My wife and I are full time RVers with our F150 and a similar sized travel trailer as you with the 20" rims. I had on the stock Goodyears which were fine. The additional side wall and the kevlar did its job and made it a tough tire. The wet performance and the cost of them was terrible compared to other alternatives. Originally, I tried the Michelin Defender LTX MS which is a top rated tire. They were great without a trailer but incredibly soft when the trailer was attached. It flattened those tires out more than I would like to admit and the bounce was crazy.
I had to return them to Discount Tire and they tried to sell me on LT tires which I did not want. The extra weight and the stiffness would be terrible on the truck that size.
After much exhausted research, I settled on the Continental TerrainContact HT XL. These things are a newer tire (I think came out last year) and they perform like champions. Their weight in on par with the Goodyears. They come in stock size. They are a true highway tire with a tad more aggressive tread for slight mud. They have performed wonderfully. I have been running them at 50 psi loaded and unloaded and I am more than impressed. They handle extremely well.
I have not been in snow with them yet but expect decent results. Wet surfaced have been good though. Best of all they do not kick up rocks and dirt like the Goodyears and the Michelins did. And they may have increased MPG slightly.

·
Premium Member
5,665 Posts
Welcome @kfly!

Good to have a full-timer in the group.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did settle on the Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S. So far, I am very pleased. Being winter in Minnesota, I'm not hauling my RV, but I am pulling around an enclosed snowmobile trailer, probably about 3000-3500 pounds, not much tongue weight. I did notice that the truck in general is much more stable. The first 100 miles or so, there was a distinct whine from the tires, but it has subsided, and they are quiet.
The truck tracks true when trailering, and I am pleased with the ride.
I got a chance to use them in the snow, and there is amazing difference in traction, compared to the Pirellis.
This tire is a big improvement over the Pirelli tire.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts