F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How often are you guys rotating your tires? I'm sure everyone is different as tires wear different, but I have the stock Pirelli tires on the 20s

·
Registered
269 Posts
Don't the tires "rotate" as you drive? :p Unless you drive lots of hard corners and see significant shoulder wear on the front tires, just have them rotated with each oil change / service. At my dealer it's included and their price is competitive.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
I don't think the computer cares if the tires are rotated. On my wife's Infiniti, I believe they are "polled" each drive cycle and the computer knows which sensor is where because her display shows true psi for each tire. What's unclear is if the F-150 does this, since the individual tire psi is not a displayed value.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
Every oil change

·
Registered
32 Posts
The truck knows where each tire is because the sensors are trained to specific corners of the truck. What it does with this information is a mystery though. :)

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
You don't have to retrain your tire pressure monitors sensors after a tire rotation
Found out the sensors are trained to their position. Rotating won't hurt them but your fronts that are now your rears will tell the computer they are fronts and when one of your rears goes low the light will come on but it will tell you a front is a rear or a rear is a front and you will actually have to use a tire pressure gauge or, heaven forbid, LOOK at your tires to see which one is going flat! Just be careful you don't change the wrong tire on the side of the road only to find out your mistake or worse yet, think you have another flat!

Had a rep for the company that makes the TPMS sensor programmer demo that for me. He also reassigned mine after rotating.

BTW, every 15,000 miles for me.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just put mine in the opposite position when i switch winter tires in/out.

I use ez sensors in the snow tire rims, which i programmed with the same codes as my summer tires, so i don't have to retrain when i switch.

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
You don't have to retrain your tire pressure monitors sensors after a tire rotation
Exactly correct. In fact, I put a set of snow tires mounted on separate rims WITHOUT the TPMS. If I drive for more than 25 miles, the warning will come on (because I have no TPMS). BUT, when I return home, the tires are stored in my garage (about 10 feet from where I park) and the sensor light goes out ... everything is back to normal.

And as long as I do not drive to far (less than 25 miles) in a day, the sensor is not triggered. Luckily, I live in a small town and during the winter I stay mostly in town. So, if the sensor does not care when I don't even have the tires on my truck ... and turns off if I do drive a far distance and return home ... the sensor will not care if you rotate your tires.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I too thought it was due to mileage when the light came on but it's not.
It's actually based on time driven.
I also have no tpms sensors in my winter wheels and for the first few days the light never came on.
I was only driving 20km(exactly) back and forth to work in good traffic conditions, approx 20mins.
Then one morning traffic sucked and it took me 25-30 mins to get to work and, bing my tpms light came on.
The system must monitor every 25mins or so(sounds like a nice round number) just to set position and check for radio signal.
I'm sure if the sensors where actually there and a tire went low it would be noted on the dash much quicker.
Vehicles differ by manufacture in the way they monitor position.
Some need to be set and do not consistantly check for sensor position or radio signal after so many miles or mins.
Others due check and set at different times or distance driven depending on manufacture.

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
I too thought it was due to mileage when the light came on but it's not.
It's actually based on time driven.
I also have no tpms sensors in my winter wheels and for the first few days the light never came on.
I was only driving 20km(exactly) back and forth to work in good traffic conditions, approx 20mins.
Then one morning traffic sucked and it took me 25-30 mins to get to work and, bing my tpms light came on.
The system must monitor every 25mins or so(sounds like a nice round number) just to set position and check for radio signal.
I'm sure if the sensors where actually there and a tire went low it would be noted on the dash much quicker.
Vehicles differ by manufacture in the way they monitor position.
Some need to be set and do not consistantly check for sensor position or radio signal after so many miles or mins.
Others due check and set at different times or distance driven depending on manufacture.
I never thought about the "time condition" but you could be absolutely correct. Most of my driving is "In-Town" and it's not a big town, so the time condition would never be hit either. The only time was when I was going for a drive "out-of-town" and that is all highway speed ... so the time would match the distance I travelled.

Next time I am driving around town (not too far but maybe in some traffic), I'll see if it comes on.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Ford's TPMS system meets the bare minimum regulation for tire pressure low notification. Even though calibration is performed so the PCM can identify each individual wheel, it does not provide this information to the driver. GM's on the other hand will provide the actual pressure of any tire, and if a TPMS event occurs, which tire location is affected (LF, RF, LR, RR). Ford can and should do better in this area.

I'm rotating around every 10k miles.

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
Ford's TPMS system meets the bare minimum regulation for tire pressure low notification. Even though calibration is performed so the PCM can identify each individual wheel, it does not provide this information to the driver. GM's on the other hand will provide the actual pressure of any tire, and if a TPMS event occurs, which tire location is affected (LF, RF, LR, RR). Ford can and should do better in this area.

I'm rotating around every 10k miles.
Just don't be lazy and check your tire pressure regularly.

Yes just rotated mine. Actually took the back right made it the back left and front right became front left, front left became right rear. Only did this due to the tread depth. Didn't hurt my alignment none.

And figured id have to train the sensors after all the crap I've heard about people putting new wheels etc on. But nope.

Manual states only for vehicles with different front and rear psi requirements.

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
Just don't be lazy and check your tire pressure regularly.

Yes just rotated mine. Actually took the back right made it the back left and front right became front left, front left became right rear. Only did this due to the tread depth. Didn't hurt my alignment none.

And figured id have to train the sensors after all the crap I've heard about people putting new wheels etc on. But nope.

Manual states only for vehicles with different front and rear psi requirements.
I find these things to be a piece of nanny state annoyance. Waste of money. They fail to often. Yup.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts