F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The dark grey truck is my personal vehicle. Im not a fan of all the chrome, so I was thinking about switching my tires and wheels with those of a company truck we have. Mine are the pirellis (which ive heard bad things about) 275/55 R20. The other truck has 275/65 R18. Will the difference in width cause any issues with the trucks computer calibration etc?

how do you think my truck would look with the other rims?

IMG_1309.jpg

IMG_1707.jpg

Will the trucks need to be balanced at a shop afterward?

Thanks for your opinions and advice!

·
Registered
943 Posts
I insisted that the dealer make this same switch before I bought my truck. The 18's are actually one tenth of and inch larger in diameter than the 20's. It will make your MPG read slightly lower and your speedomter/odometer will read a little slow. I have driven mine for over 17,000 miles with no problems.

·
Registered
269 Posts
The 18" rims look better to me. You can check the Pirelli and Wrangler websites to get the exact circumference of tire. That should allow recalibration of your speedometer / odometer should you wish to do so. I'm sure the dealer can do it for you. The Wranglers will likely feel softer with the higher sidewall.

Tires are rarely balanced "on the car" anymore. So, assuming they are in balance now, swapping them should not require rebalancing. I've had the 22" Pirelli Scorpions since 2007 and love them but my truck is a recreational truck, not so much a work truck.

·
Registered
943 Posts
20's do 632 revolutions per mile they are 31.9" diameter

18's do 628 they 32"

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
You can also calculate the size with this formula....(first #)\25.4=width in inches, then (width in inches)xaspect ratio (second #)=height of one sidewall, then take the height of the side wall x 2 + rim size. It will look like this for my tire.

275 x 65 - 18

275 \ 25.4= 10.8, which is the width of the tire.

10.8 x .65= 7.02, which is the height of one sidewall.

7.02 x 2 + 18= 32.04, which is the height of the tire!

Yours is 275 x 55 -20

275 \ 25.4 = 10.8

10.8 x .55 = 5.95

5.95 x 2 + 20 = 31.91 inches tall. The 18" tire is a bit more than a quarter inch taller, or .30" taller.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for the opinions and info! Sub elect that was very informative, thanks for sharing! So I guess I could probably have the dealer make the small adjustment for me, next time i take it in... Do you think it would look good having an aluminum wheel with all the chrome-accenting that is on the truck? bumpers, nerf bars, door handles etc

·
Registered
269 Posts
Do you think it would look good having an aluminum wheel with all the chrome-accenting that is on the truck? bumpers, nerf bars, door handles etc
Just my $.02 but the 18's in aluminum may look dull with those chrome bumpers. Sorry.

·
Registered
18 Posts
IMO, I would keep the rims you have on. My friend did the same thing and it didn't look good, so he ended up switching back again.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I insisted that the dealer make this same switch before I bought my truck. The 18's are actually one tenth of and inch larger in diameter than the 20's. It will make your MPG read slightly lower and your speedomter/odometer will read a little slow. I have driven mine for over 17,000 miles with no problems.
So you paid for Chrome 20's, but left with 18"s on it? Wow you taught them!

Hahaha

·
Registered
943 Posts
So you paid for Chrome 20's, but left with 18"s on it? Wow you taught them!

Hahaha
No, they took the price of the 20" option off the price of the truck. This wasn't my first rodeo.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
ya thats a good point... it definitely wouldnt match as well...
You could just match the bumpers to the paint and it would be ok! Or use some black or dark grey plasti-dip. The grey in the center of the wheels will come very close to matching the paint on your truck.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Mind you the 20" chrome wheels include an important descriptive term "clad". With the F150 clad gets you a wheel covered with a plastic chrome wheel cover. Are the wheels under the plastic cover plain old steel?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts