F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have to empty my can once every 2 weeks, pretty tired of doing that. Thinking of going old school and welding a bung in my mak downpipe before I install it and using the exhaust flow for the vacuum source. I know this wouldn't be for everyone but for us who is more "performance based" and don't care how it smells like raw fuel with no cats, maybe going this route? Discuss/opinions

Reactions: Lowes48

·
Registered
82 Posts
I like this idea but is it possible to get vaccum some other way to draw it out other then getting a bung in the exhaust?

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I thought about replacing valve that's on mine with a electric solenoid valve and wiring a switch in the cab that way you could remotely drain it w/o popping the hood every time.

Just a thought going through my mind for a while cause like you it gets old after awhile of popping the hood. ;)

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Electric drain switch would be the tits! That's like some batmobile **** haha. Leave an oil slick behind you for whoever is chasing you haha.
LOL never thought of that. For a smoke screen I'd say a upper induction cleaning(Seafoam). :)

·
Vendor
1,173 Posts
LOL for econoob!!! That would be awesome!! Tauber, your using your homemade unit, correct? The RX Monster can after it has been on a few thousand miles or so the amount caught should gradually reduce as the PCV evacuation has been corrected so less will accumulate to begin with, and the Monster holds over 20 oz's. Most cans hold 1.5-2 oz's. Summer there will be less as long as temps stay above 45* F.

If you wanted to evacuate from the can into the exhaust, it could only be a NON catalytic converter equipped vehicle as the gunk will destroy a cat, and could only work with no mufflers and a header collector evac kit or you will have back-pressure pulses that will force the gunk backwards. We have tried for years to come with a "self emptying" procedure that will meet emissions rules, but have not come up with anything yet.

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
pretty much would have to have an open exhaust like a race car wouldn't ya?

I mean even without cats, wouldn't the sludge collect in mufflers, resonator, etc..?

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
What makes you think that there is going to be vacuum in your exhaust? What happens when you drill a hole in your exhaust? Does it pull in or leak out?
Exhaust pulses have been used for MANY years in race header collectors to evacuate high crank case pressures in high compression race engines. It works.

Reactions: taubr unit

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea, people have been using this method forever it seems like. As for cats, I'll have none, or I'm thinking how about in the resonator delete pipe?, or is that too far away from the exhaust manifold?

·
Vendor
1,173 Posts
pretty much would have to have an open exhaust like a race car wouldn't ya?

I mean even without cats, wouldn't the sludge collect in mufflers, resonator, etc..?
Correct. Any piping or muffler restriction will blow out the diaphragm in the venturi evac system and allow back flow pulses.

The venturi effect is used as a "economy" evacuation for open headers. The flow past the open tube actually creates a good amount of suction:

Moroso 25900 Moroso Crankcase Evacuation System - Free Shipping on All Orders @ JEGS

But there can be no restrictions down stream of one to work. In the exhaust manifold wont work, only pressure there.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Out of curiosity. What would happen if after I drained my can I forgot to close the drain valve and then drove my truck. Anything bad happen or would it just slowly drip out while I'm driving?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Out of curiosity. What would happen if after I drained my can I forgot to close the drain valve and then drove my truck. Anything bad happen or would it just slowly drip out while I'm driving?
you would have a vacuum leak and create a high idle, around 1500 rpm or so.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Correct. Any piping or muffler restriction will blow out the diaphragm in the venturi evac system and allow back flow pulses.

The venturi effect is used as a "economy" evacuation for open headers. The flow past the open tube actually creates a good amount of suction:

Moroso 25900 Moroso Crankcase Evacuation System - Free Shipping on All Orders @ JEGS

But there can be no restrictions down stream of one to work. In the exhaust manifold wont work, only pressure there.
I get the back pressure effect, but being a straight through muffler and all 3" (assuming you replaced the mid pipe to 3") then would it really have much back pressure? More specifically my truck, itll have mak catless DP, removed resonator and a 3" mid pipe to stock muffler then stock tail pipe. Not sure if your familiar with FMF, but they, as well as others, make a "power bomb exhaust" which is a larger pipe on the header making it pull the exhaust out of the engine for more power. WELL how about making one of those for our truck and put a 4" piece of pipe in place of the resonator to help pull the exhaust out of the engine, lol. Now im just talking crazy nonsense!

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I get the back pressure effect, but being a straight through muffler and all 3" (assuming you replaced the mid pipe to 3") then would it really have much back pressure? More specifically my truck, itll have mak catless DP, removed resonator and a 3" mid pipe to stock muffler then stock tail pipe. Not sure if your familiar with FMF, but they, as well as others, make a "power bomb exhaust" which is a larger pipe on the header making it pull the exhaust out of the engine for more power. WELL how about making one of those for our truck and put a 4" piece of pipe in place of the resonator to help pull the exhaust out of the engine, lol. Now im just talking crazy nonsense!
FMF...had one of those exhaust system on a Honda 400EX quad back in the day. Liked it! :)

·
Registered
868 Posts
ok so up front im no rocket scientist but this isnt rocket science, you guys are over complicating the whole drain thing.

i like the dumping it off into the exhaust concept because it would blow out there and disperse but even if you didnt want to do that why couldnt you hook up an electric solenoid valve to open off of the starter relay.
then every time you started the truck the valve would purge for 2-3 seconds while the starter was engaged and it would do it every single time you started the engine.

i dont have a catch can so i dont know how quickly it drains but an open valve for a couple sec every time you start would drain a bunch off in theory.

next question is do you think your buddies would care if you purged off a little oil on his newly resealed driveway ?

i would be like OOOPs sorry man its like a baby, it spits up a little every now and then.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
ok so up front im no rocket scientist but this isnt rocket science, you guys are over complicating the whole drain thing.

i like the dumping it off into the exhaust concept because it would blow out there and disperse but even if you didnt want to do that why couldnt you hook up an electric solenoid valve to open off of the starter relay.
then every time you started the truck the valve would purge for 2-3 seconds while the starter was engaged and it would do it every single time you started the engine.

i dont have a catch can so i dont know how quickly it drains but an open valve for a couple sec every time you start would drain a bunch off in theory.

next question is do you think your buddies would care if you purged off a little oil on his newly resealed driveway ?

i would be like OOOPs sorry man its like a baby, it spits up a little every now and then.
Remind me to never invite you to my house.....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts