F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many post with all the mods,are most of you doing tunes after truck is out of warranty?does a guy dare tune a brand new truck? Resale,would the next guy like or dislike a used truck that's been tuned? The tunes sure sound like they work,but has anyone had problems after a tune getting work done under warranty after the tune? Just ordered a king ranch Eco 3:31, 6.5', thanks for any info.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Well I can't speek for everyone but i tuned my truck with only 3,200 miles on it (right after my first oil change). I'm now at roughly 8,500 miles and have loved every minute of it being tuned and have had no problems other then wearing my tires down quicker then expected :cool:. As far as warranty goes, i've herd both ways, some dealers don't care and other do....

·
Registered
495 Posts
The thing about a tune is that you CAN REMOVE IT before taking it in to your dealer, and put it back on after you leave the dealer... It does not impact your warranty.

What does impact your warranty is things like wrapping it up to eight grand before you shift, etc. ABUSE kinds of things, they will negate your warranty.

·
Registered
589 Posts
+3 Almost every tuner out there keeps your stock tune and can be switch back within minutes. As for warranty like everyone has said it is hit or miss.
I have checked with my dealership whom I had service my last heavily mod out truck and they have no issues about the tuner or intakes or exhaust (Cat back) as they sell the products at the parts department. Like I did on the last truck I had it installed and checked by their techs. But again not every dealership is going to be like this.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Traciintexas,I see the tuners can do that,and also heard the dealerships computer can diagnose the truck computer if it has been played with or not,just trying to figure it out, I really like what I see the tuners can do, just a little Leary,I am just looking at 87,89 , 91 perform,with 87 tow, tuner, I will not ever hit 6-7 k rpms,I don't race around anymore,but do like a little giddy up and go,my 2011 chev 5.3 does not cut it trying to pull Evan a lite load 2-3 k

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
don't ask don't tell, mine had tune at 2,000 miles and like everybody above I think it is worth the chance for a pile of available torque when you want or need it.

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
I tuned mine as well.. Livernois is an EXCELLENT tune if you're looking at options. You can return the vehicle to stock with nearly all options. I've heard that Ford can diagnose that someone's accessed your OBD port. A simple resolution is that you had a trouble code and had autozone access your OBD to run your trouble code..

This is only from secondhand experience. I don't know if that's really how the operate. It's a risk that I was willing to take...

·
Registered
152 Posts
It is a chance to take for sure. Like most of the comments above I'm a huge fan of the tune! Can't wait to get mine done next time home!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input,I am looking at livernois tuners,should get my first ever ford in about 6-8 weeks,then tune after first oil change.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Ok, so we have Mustangs (plural) and the argument IS... "If I bought your item, and it is made to be driven, why would you object to my tuning it to the way I drive and my environment?!"

Dear Hubby clarified with Ford, prior to installing a Short-Shifter and a tune on his 2004 Mach1 -- just for that reason.

I used a SCT tuner and had a custom tune installed for "Little Old Lady" driving... Granted my car was outta warranty by then, but you'll LOVE a custom tune to your altitude and weather!

Verify with your shop, and try it!

I just passed 5,000 miles, and will be doing a CAI and SCT as soon as I can swing it!

·
Registered
191 Posts
I vote NO Tune. With my luck if I tuned it I would put a rod through the block and it would end up costing me about 10 grand. I am currently not needing to spend an additional 10 grand on a 52 grand truck. 365 HP and 420 torque is enough for me.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I vote NO Tune. With my luck if I tuned it I would put a rod through the block and it would end up costing me about 10 grand. I am currently not needing to spend an additional 10 grand on a 52 grand truck. 365 HP and 420 torque is enough for me.
Why would you throw a rod if you tuned it? I have tuned most everything I have, even my quad and SxS. My experience is a good tune makes all the components play nicer together, helps them get along better if you will. I find I even get better gas milage after a good tune. More power does not necessarily mean less reliability. I am getting a full custom tune done when I get home in a few weeks. I truly believe I will be getting what is best for my truck or I wouldn't consider it at all. Like you said 52k is enough to spend on a truck. Hell I would tune my lawnmower if I could.

·
Registered
589 Posts
FX4! LOL_ If you tune your lawnmower (not that we can use them right now right?) you will have to post a video. Nothing better than finishing your chores early and sneaking off to go do some riding (You have topost a pic of that new RZR behind the EcoBeast)!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Why would you throw a rod if you tuned it? I have tuned most everything I have, even my quad and SxS. My experience is a good tune makes all the components play nicer together, helps them get along better if you will. I find I even get better gas milage after a good tune. More power does not necessarily mean less reliability. I am getting a full custom tune done when I get home in a few weeks. I truly believe I will be getting what is best for my truck or I wouldn't consider it at all. Like you said 52k is enough to spend on a truck. Hell I would tune my lawnmower if I could.
I agree with most of what you have posted. The big difference in tuning an Ecoboost is that the Ecoboost is force induction (pressurized air through the turbos). The pressurized air puts a huge load on the crankshaft, connecting rods and pistons. Ford has built very sturdy parts to take the factory levels of boost, but how much boost over the factory levels is safe? 15 PSI, 20 PSI, 25 PSI? The tuners not only change the fuel maps and timing , they also crank up the boost several PSI. Turning up the boost is where most of the extra horse power comes from. My concern is how much boost will an Ecoboost engine take before the bottom begins showing signs of stress or comes apart. Tuning an engine that is naturally aspirated is much different and safer to tune electronically (using the proper air fuel ratios and timing) than tuning a turbocharged or supercharged engine (increasing the boost). I would just say to people considering an Ecoboost tune while in warranty...Think about what you are doing cause if you have something break in the engine due to all that extra boost it's probably going to be expensive. Note I have not stated that I think that every tune will cause problems, but the potential for damage is real. Just my 2 cents worth and always remember your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I agree with most of what you have posted. The big difference in tuning an Ecoboost is that the Ecoboost is force induction (pressurized air through the turbos). The pressurized air puts a huge load on the crankshaft, connecting rods and pistons. Ford has built very sturdy parts to take the factory levels of boost, but how much boost over the factory levels is safe? 15 PSI, 20 PSI, 25 PSI? The tuners not only change the fuel maps and timing , they also crank up the boost several PSI. Turning up the boost is where most of the extra horse power comes from. My concern is how much boost will an Ecoboost engine take before the bottom begins showing signs of stress or comes apart. Tuning an engine that is naturally aspirated is much different and safer to tune electronically (using the proper air fuel ratios and timing) than tuning a turbocharged or supercharged engine (increasing the boost). I would just say to people considering an Ecoboost tune while in warranty...Think about what you are doing cause if you have something break in the engine due to all that extra boost it's probably going to be expensive. Note I have not stated that I think that every tune will cause problems, but the potential for damage is real. Just my 2 cents worth and always remember your mileage may vary.
Agreed. and uderstood for sure. Thats another reason i am going with a full custom Dyno tune. I along with Niel(speed shop owner) are going to find the best tune for me without getting to extreme on the boost . We were already talking about exactly what you just said. From all the information that he has first hand and what we have compiled from others,we feel that no more then 18lbs of boost should be put through the motor. So thats the thresh hold we are aiming for.Stock #'s are already at 16lbs boost. I do agree that getting to aggresive with these engines may prove to be detrimental. Even though others have put way more through it with no problems I would like to be a little more carefull. Now, I am paying more $$$ for this style of tuning but It makes me feel comfortable. I very well may come away with lower hp &tq #'s then others and I'm fine with that. By the way I love this site because of guys and gals like you that have lots of great comments.:cool:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Agreed. and uderstood for sure. Thats another reason i am going with a full custom Dyno tune. I along with Niel(speed shop owner) are going to find the best tune for me without getting to extreme on the boost . We were already talking about exactly what you just said. From all the information that he has first hand and what we have compiled from others,we feel that no more then 18lbs of boost should be put through the motor. So thats the thresh hold we are aiming for.Stock #'s are already at 16lbs boost. I do agree that getting to aggresive with these engines may prove to be detrimental. Even though others have put way more through it with no problems I would like to be a little more carefull. Now, I am paying more $$$ for this style of tuning but It makes me feel comfortable. I very well may come away with lower hp &tq #'s then others and I'm fine with that. By the way I love this site because of guys and gals like you that have lots of great comments.:cool:
A custom tune on a dyno with an operator that knows what he or she is doing is always best. Costs more, but in the long run it worth it. I personally would consider a custom dyno tune. A "canned" tune is another matter.

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
Anything over 18+ psi boost is what I've seen to stay away from. If you opt to tune, do not look for the cheaper way out. I went with Livernois because of their reputation and proven results. I agree with fx4 as well, ford tunes the truck to withhold EVERYTHING at once. It is vastly under tuned so its a "car for everyone."

·
Registered
537 Posts
OK, I am going to weigh in with my opinion. If you want to tune it more to your style of driving...do it. I look at it as with or without a tune just drive smart and use common sense. Just because you can add an extra 75HP and 125TQ, it doesn't mean you have to use it all. Use it in part, and use it smart. Same rule should apply for a non tuned Eco, drive it as the occasion calls for, apply the pedal as needed, but there is no reason to abuse it.

So if you have the free funds and the desire, do it. If you are worried about a problem and denial of a warranty claim..don't.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
About this Discussion
44 Replies
23 Participants
PLASMAN
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing