F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

161 - 179 of 179 Posts

·
Registered
7,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
Degrease that while it is apart lol.

Spray the 3 bolts on turbo t manifold the most, those are most prone to breaking.
Don't care if those break lol, got new ones for the new manifold.

·
Registered
7,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #162
Word of advice if you love in an area that uses salt buy new y pipe to turbo studs and gaskets. One came out and one stayed in. Will have to cut the other off the flange no doubt.

Took a 30" breaker bar on long extensions to break them ass holes free...

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
I am surprised the downpipe studs broke. Those things are in the turbo impossible to get out because hot side directly heating them. I would think the nuts would still break loose long before the studs moved. I use new nuts anytime i remove the nuts though.

·
Registered
7,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #164
I am surprised the downpipe studs broke. Those things are in the turbo impossible to get out because hot side directly heating them. I would think the nuts would still break loose long before the studs moved. I use new nuts anytime i remove the nuts though.
Top one came out bottom one didn't. Used another nut welded it to the stud and with a 24" breaker bar the other stud came out. Coat me $80 from local dealer for 2 studs and gasket...

The new manifold and turbo is back in.

Just need to tighten the down pipe nuts.

Install Tubes and put coolant back in. Turbo was in great shape.

Manifold has a wicked warp.

Doesn't help that there is a 1.5" section between port 3 and the back of head... That isn't flush with the manifold gasket.

Reactions: Blown F-150

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
I have brand new OEM turbo to down pipe flanges never used FYI.

So, how is it running? Getting any leaks on the coolant lines?

·
Registered
7,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #166
I have brand new OEM turbo to down pipe flanges never used FYI.

So, how is it running? Getting any leaks on the coolant lines?
Didn't finish it yet, going out to hook up the intake and put coolant back in it soon. I did change the jiffys on the turbo.

Notice I have a coolant drip on pass side prob from back of head but I'm not losing it fast nuff to worry about yet.

Reactions: sleipnir

·
Registered
7,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #167
Well she's done! No leaks! No chirpies!

Managed to reuse my coolant minus half gallon that didn't make it in the bucket.

No time to plan my gear swap!

·
Registered
6,067 Posts

·
Registered
7,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #169
If you're on orange coolant, you should change that out every handful of years
It was changed out when they did the phasers few yesrs ago.

Most coolant are good for 200k km.

·
Registered
7,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #170
Pulled the rear diff this morn to install the gears! Taking a lunch break right now. Looked at my axle shaft seals and figured I should change them too as there was evidence if leaking.

SKF 17327 were $13 each at Napa.

Diff came out out easy there is only 2 shims (thick) new set up comes with adjustable shim packs.

Backlash on original set was 12 thou.

·
Registered
7,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #171
Not going as planned.

These pinion yokes are retarded. They seem to have a taper to the splines making it stupid to get them off. Need a 2 or 3 jaw puller for sure. Air hammer don't work and hammer fudged up the threads...

I'm pissed off now.

The conversion 09/10 to 2011+ bearing kit did not come with enough shim it seems for pre-load. Came with a crush sleeve eliminator set but I don't think it's enough.

·
Registered
7,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #172
Figured it out. I effed up the shims, too many actually. Got the pinion in and set. Ring gear is on the carrier. Stick it back in morrow and check pattern and Backlash.

I set pinion depth exactly the same on both pinion so hoping it's going to be good. If not I'm going to have to get a 2 jaw puller. 1 tool I don't have lol.

Reactions: SrpRacing

·
Registered
7,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #173
Pattern and depth look good just need to dial in the back lash. Current is 17 thou want to end up at 11-12 for used gears.

·
Registered
6,067 Posts

·
Registered
7,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #175
Are you doing a diff install or changing gears too? If so, what about the front?
Changed gears in the rear. I have the fronts to do to but for now just removed the front driveahaft. Retuned it with my SCT X4 to go from the 3.31 to 3.73s.

Everything seems to work fine so far.

For now it's a 2WD till I can get time to do the fronts.

Test drove it today and all is good.

Think I'm going to drill and tap the housing to add a drain plug.

Going to dump the fluid in 1000km or so.

·
Registered
7,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #177
WHy not 410
Because I got these for under a grand all in for both sets with install kits.

And 3.73 is perfect for what I need.

·
Premium Member
3,889 Posts
Awesome work! Gears can be daunting and time consuming for sure.

3:73’s will be a nice change for you IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #179
So far so good! Was great towing my parents trailer. Going to dump the gear oil and re check the pattern after 1000km. But it's been good! Now to get some time to do the fronts.

The timbrens are great! They made a huge difference!

161 - 179 of 179 Posts