F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a BakFlip G2 tonneau cover that came with my truck 2 years ago, which puts it at about 3-4 years old (2015 truck). We recently had a fairly light hail storm, pea to quarter size, and it just absolutely peppered the panels of this "expensive" tonneau cover. Their manufacturer customer service was a joke and said that they can't just send me just new panels that got hit, (why not? its your company...) and that I would need to buy a new one with full infrastructure at full price if I wanted to replace it! I chuckled...

Anyway, I am curious if there is a general consensus among the F150 community on a few stand out performers that could be labeled best in class? I do like the hard top aspect of what I have, but not opposed to a standard tarp style roll up and think maybe even that "softness" would do better in a hail storm than this POS. The current BakFlip also did leak a bit at the corners in a strong rain or at the car wash, so not sure if anyone else with hard covers has experienced that?

Please pass along any thoughts & recommendations since I am essentially back to square one unless I repurchase exactly what I have now and throw away the new rails that aren't needed... Thanks!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Not sure about a consensus, but I personally got the Extang Solid Fold 2.0 bed cover after much research and I like it a lot. I think it looks really nice. It's the exact same color black as the bed moldings on which it sits. It's a hard tri-fold cover with a really cool attachment mechanism that does NOT require adding bed rails. And, it's not made of aluminum, so it won't dent.

Let me know if you'd like more info. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
4,706 Posts
I went with the Wethertech tonneau cover, cargo mat, and tailgate protection.

The tonneau cover is ULTRA slim when in place and is anodized aluminum. Really nice finish. And you can open/close the tailgate without messing with it at all.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice! Thanks guys! That WeatherTech one looks really nice and really flush... Have you had it in any hail by chance for some durability testing!? haha

·
Premium Member
4,706 Posts
Nice! Thanks guys! That WeatherTech one looks really nice and really flush... Have you had it in any hail by chance for some durability testing!? haha
I've had it just short of 2 years and it's performed perfectly. It's very well made. I suspect Wethertech was picky about whose product they were going to put their own label on.

Only hail it has seen was in West Virginia. I don't see hail often and it scared the crap out of me. I thought the windshield would crack at any moment.

But seeing as nobody else freaked out and the truck showed no hint of damage, perhaps it really wasn't what HAIL is when folks ask? :)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
I put an Access Lorado on mine and love it. The only time I get water in the bed is from a car wash. It stays tight and if I need to drive with it open, just roll it up. The panels aren't blocking the rear window or I don't have to remove them altogether.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I’ve got a backflip mx4 and absolutely love it. Really versatile for any needs.
2nd that. Have had two hard-caps. the front hinged and the backflip. Backflip wins hands down for convenience, ease of use and overall durability. If it’s leaking in the rain it needs to be adjusted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
374 Posts
Backflip MX-4 here.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I use a Decked drawer system so no real cover. My son does use a Backflip MX4 and I did help install. It impressed me with fit, opperation, and quality. It is a vinyl coated aluminum, is the G2 of different material? How much damage to the aluminum truck bodywork occurred? Why didn't insurance cover?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi guys, thanks for the info on the covers! I got a good quote on the MX4 if I decide to go that route. Right now I am debating whether I want to replace, or live with the hail damage for a while until it becomes more of a priority. There was definitely some hail damage on the trucks hood, little on the drivers side doors, and the roof, but that is now gone thanks to my dent guy. Insurance did cover it, the original question was just what to replace it with since I won't be going back to the BakFlip G2 that I have now. For what damage the truck got, the tonneau cover was really peppered so I'd be looking for something more durable than the G2... Right now I think I'm down to the WeatherTech or the MX4 based on this thread, although the Access Lorado would cut my cost in half... decisions decisions!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hi guys, thanks for the info on the covers! I got a good quote on the MX4 if I decide to go that route. Right now I am debating whether I want to replace, or live with the hail damage for a while until it becomes more of a priority. There was definitely some hail damage on the trucks hood, little on the drivers side doors, and the roof, but that is now gone thanks to my dent guy. Insurance did cover it, the original question was just what to replace it with since I won't be going back to the BakFlip G2 that I have now. For what damage the truck got, the tonneau cover was really peppered so I'd be looking for something more durable than the G2... Right now I think I'm down to the WeatherTech or the MX4 based on this thread, although the Access Lorado would cut my cost in half... decisions decisions!
Did you look at the Extang Solid Fold 2.0?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Did you look at the Extang Solid Fold 2.0?
Morning Drew, yes I did check that out a bit too. I think at that price level I would just go with the really nice flush look of the weathertech without the bump up over the frame that the Extang looks to give. $875 would also get me the upgraded MX4 that might not dent as much as my current, and potentially use some of my existing foundation hardware...

·
Registered
150 Posts
Morning Drew, yes I did check that out a bit too. I think at that price level I would just go with the really nice flush look of the weathertech without the bump up over the frame that the Extang looks to give. $875 would also get me the upgraded MX4 that might not dent as much as my current, and potentially use some of my existing foundation hardware...
Sounds good. Just wanted to make sure you considered it since it doesn't dent. And, also because it doesn't require installing bed rails. Good luck!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts