F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Drove myself crazy trying to decide if I wanted a tonneau cover or not. Hard one piece Undercover or a folding tonneau. I ended up going with a narrow shallow across the bed over the rail diamond plated tool box and found that if fit my needs just perfect. I guess I am still a superduty truck owner, but in a F150 at heart....I know how to make good use of a tool box. And of the important must have items to keep in it.

However, when I got a call earlier today that asked if I was still looking for a folding hard tonneau at a price I couldn't pass up on I was curious. Well, I ended up with a Bakflip but Ford branded folding tonneau cover installed for less than I was looking at paying for a used Undercover one piece.

I'm a happy camper to say the least. I will still keep my tool box and swap it with the cover from time to time as needed..I think.

I will try to get a few photos posted in the morning.

And here they are:

·
Registered
393 Posts
I've been leaning towards the Bakflip. Hard decision to make.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Glad you got a good deal!

SPPD

·
Registered
27 Posts
looking at the bakflip f1 anyone have this cover? can tell me what their thoughts are?

·
Registered
22 Posts
The Ford OEM cover is essentially a Bakflip F1 with some different seal materials and an "Emergency Exit" toggle attached to the cover release (in case you lock yourself in the bed?). If you have the OEM version installed at the dealer, you get a 3 year warranty on it vs. the one year warranty on the Bakflip version. I checked out both and found that the delivered cost of the Backflip F1 was the same as the installed price of the OEM version.

Either way I think it's a really nice cover.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The Ford OEM cover is essentially a Bakflip F1 with some different seal materials and an "Emergency Exit" toggle attached to the cover release (in case you lock yourself in the bed?). If you have the OEM version installed at the dealer, you get a 3 year warranty on it vs. the one year warranty on the Bakflip version. I checked out both and found that the delivered cost of the Backflip F1 was the same as the installed price of the OEM version.

Either way I think it's a really nice cover.
thanks for the information, yes it is pretty pricey but want something i will love and will last :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just installed a Advance Folding cover on my FX4 had one on my Tundra i really like how they work.For me if a folding cover doesnt open from the front and the back they are useless.I looked at the Bakflip with the tool box in it and really liked if but you have to fold the whole cover up to get in the tool box which makes no sense to me .JUST MY 2 cents

·
Registered
868 Posts
for what its worth my neighbor put a folding one on his chebby and opened the rear section to get some things out without lowering the tailgate and then went inside and forgot about it.
we had a thunderstorm blow through a couple hrs later during the night and in the morning he found out that once the first section is unlatched nothing is left to keep the other sections closed.
it did a bakflip in the wind and smashed out the rear window.
you can imagine how happy he was with his purchase in the morning when he went out to his new truck !

·
Registered
30 Posts
for what its worth my neighbor put a folding one on his chebby and opened the rear section to get some things out without lowering the tailgate and then went inside and forgot about it.
we had a thunderstorm blow through a couple hrs later during the night and in the morning he found out that once the first section is unlatched nothing is left to keep the other sections closed.
it did a bakflip in the wind and smashed out the rear window.
you can imagine how happy he was with his purchase in the morning when he went out to his new truck !
I can see how that could happen unless folded all the way up or all the way down the center latch wont catch.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bakflip's are great. I just got a Fibermax myself. Very pleased with the performance.
My son with the Bakflip Fibermax also. He liked the extra protection from Texas hail damage that the Fibermax offers. This wasn't an option for me however given the deal I got. Plus I keep my truck garaged where as his sits outside.

But, at $450 I think it was a bargain!!!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Drove myself crazy trying to decide if I wanted a tonneau cover or not. Hard one piece Undercover or a folding tonneau. I ended up going with a narrow shallow across the bed over the rail diamond plated tool box and found that if fit my needs just perfect. I guess I am still a superduty truck owner, but in a F150 at heart....I know how to make good use of a tool box. And of the important must have items to keep in it.

However, when I got a call earlier today that asked if I was still looking for a folding hard tonneau at a price I couldn't pass up on I was curious. Well, I ended up with a Bakflip but Ford branded folding tonneau cover installed for less than I was looking at paying for a used Undercover one piece.

I'm a happy camper to say the least. I will still keep my tool box and swap it with the cover from time to time as needed..I think.

I will try to get a few photos posted in the morning.

And here they are:

That is a really nice looking truck. Do you have a lift on the front ,also are those the weather tech mudd flaps?

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you for the nice words.

I have the Rancho 2" Quick lift leveling kit on the front with Ranch 9000 adjustable shocks on the rear also. The floor mats and mud flaps are Husky Brand I picked up on Amazon.com

·
Registered
393 Posts
Thank you for the nice words.

I have the Rancho 2" Quick lift leveling kit on the front with Ranch 9000 adjustable shocks on the rear also. The floor mats and mud flaps are Husky Brand I picked up on Amazon.com
I have the same front/rear suspension as you...for about a week now...just curious what setting you have your front/rear at?

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm at setting 4 on all 4 corners right now. I am thinking about taking the rear back to 3 and leaving the front at 4. I was at 3 at all 4 until I got a wild hair and changed them when I was under the truck doing my AirLift air bags on the rear. I didn't think that my ride changed much from stock, but I was driving a brand new 2013 FX4 yesterday and it felt very soft compared to mine.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I'm at setting 4 on all 4 corners right now. I am thinking about taking the rear back to 3 and leaving the front at 4. I was at 3 at all 4 until I got a wild hair and changed them when I was under the truck doing my AirLift air bags on the rear. I didn't think that my ride changed much from stock, but I was driving a brand new 2013 FX4 yesterday and it felt very soft compared to mine.
I had mine set at 5/9 while towing my '56....but this week decided it was way too stiff while driving unloaded. I just changed mine to 3/3 to try.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
When I had mine at 3&3 it felt pretty good. I started at 1/1 and worked my way up usually doing a little higher on the front due to the engine weight vs empty bed. I may go back and try 3/2 now that the AirLift bags are installed.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I got an Access Literider cover for my bed (2013 S-Crew 4x4 XLT). Really pleased with it; it's made by guys that know trucks, especially from a farming/work background. Additionally, if you're interested in keeping your toolbox in the truck, they make a cover that works while keeping the toolbox in place. One thing I particularly like is the ability to roll the cover completely out of the way and have full use of the truck bed. Here's the website with their information; they also have some pretty good videos of their product. http://www.accesscover.mobi/rollupcovers/

1 - 18 of 18 Posts