F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All. Just purchased a 2016 Forest River Travel Trailer. Picking it up this weekend. After looking at several towing forums, I'm worried I might not have enough truck and am looking for some real world experience.

I have a 2015 2.7 ecoboost, 6900# payload package and trailer towing package. Max GCVWR is 13,300#. Max truck payload 1531#.

Trailer weighs a little less than 6200# dry with a dry tongue weight of 663#.

I realize I won't be able to load the trailer and truck to the gills but if I'm careful and stay within weight ratings do you think I'll be OK with this rig?

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Looks like you will be right at the limit of the GCVWR once you put all of your belongings and passengers in the truck/trailer but I dont think it will be an issue. You gotta remember that these trucks can tow 11000+ lbs when properly equipped so the chassis and driveline will be able to handle the load just fine. The 2.7 ecoboost is a stout motor and honestly think that the tow ratings on it are heavily underrated so I dont think you will have an issue on the power side of things either. The only issue I forsee you having would be the cooling system not being heavy duty enough.

I'm not saying to overload the truck, I am just saying I think you are going to be more than ok right up to 13300 lbs.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Can't really help on the numbers. Looks like you'll be close. Noticed you're from Concord, where did you get the trailer?

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Bump

Nobody with a 2.7 tows a trailer?

·
Registered
142 Posts
I don't think you"d have any problem. These are designed to tow a good amount of weight with a smaller displacement engine.I just wouldn"t load it up to much.What length?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm in pretty much the same situation with my '13 screw 4X4. I'm having no issues with towing my Palomino that's 7800 dry. Just make sure you adjust the distribution hitch to the loaded trailer.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Distribution hitch is mandatory. I am sure that technically you will be overweight of the ratings...its real easy to add 5 pounds here or there. Like others said. The core is good for it. Consider air bags, helper springs, or sway bar.. Whatever you choose for stability and take it easy.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I wouldn't be concerned pulling that kind of a trailer. Your truck makes more horsepower and torque than the old 3v 5.4L V8, which was rated to pull 11,000 lbs in some configurations. Your truck will handle it just fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts