F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all,

Long time Ford owner, first time eco boost owner! My first ride was a restored ‘77 Cobra II back in 1999, second was ‘96 Probe GT and have owned several Rangers and F150s since.

Anyways, I have a ‘16 eco xlt. It’s my daily, my boat tower, and my hunting rig. I’m looking for three to five under 1k per mods to increase HP & MPG.

Suggestions??

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
532 Posts
Your requests are orthogonal. If you add HP, you'll want to enjoy that power, which means your fuel economy will suck.

Mod #1 for power: Tune, ideally with data logging and tweaking as required.
Mod #1 for economy: Install egg under gas pedal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice truck and welcome.

I assume you read a bunch of threads on here and did some google searching before beating this dead horse?
Sorry for beating a dead horse. I did spend a couple hours Google searching, and found a couple helpful articles but overall it was just a bunch of articles about the potential for aftermarket upgrades.

I figured the basics, cold air intake and programmer, but looking for more specifics based on people’s experiences. Also, it feels like I occasionally have turbo lag and wondered if any basic upgrades could help that.

Your requests are orthogonal. If you add HP, you'll want to enjoy that power, which means your fuel economy will suck.

Mod #1 for power: Tune, ideally with data logging and tweaking as required.
Mod #1 for economy: Install egg under gas pedal.
I understand what you’re saying but thought more HP could help MPG when towing? As we all know, it sucks when towing.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Get a programmer and custom tune first, then get downpipes if you want less turbo lag and a little more power (catless are better then catted if you can get away with it where you live), then a CAC to keep the power consistant

Intake and exhaust are your preference if you want to buy them but the general consensus HERE is that they are not worse the money for the power increase you will gain.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Get a programmer and custom tune first, then get downpipes if you want less turbo lag and a little more power (catless are better then catted if you can get away with it where you live), then a CAC to keep the power consistant

Intake and exhaust are your preference if you want to buy them but the general consensus HERE is that they are not worse the money for the power increase you will gain.
Appreciate the info. 🍻

·
Registered
319 Posts

I second this.

·
Registered
959 Posts
The question isn't really more HP or more MPG. There really isn't much you can do to get more MPG other than keep your foot out of it or sell the truck.

The question should be "Do you want more HP, even if it lowers your MPG"? Cause you can't have one without the other.

·
Premium Member
4,505 Posts
Horsepower OR mpg's? :)

ECO or BOOST?

Jekyll or Hyde?

Amazing trucks! They come with BOTH personalities. But YOU determine which one is at play at any given moment. But NEVER simultaneously.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Increasing MPG is a simple as slowing down. There's no more effective mod than that and you can make a DRASTIC difference by reducing your cruising speed and limiting the amount of time you spend in boost overtaking people or whatever.

Increasing HP is as simple as getting a tune. It'll blow your mind the difference it makes in drivability around town.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Any feedback on the SCT GTX?

From what I can find, it has pre-loaded tunes for improved MPG, as well as, towing or performance?

·
Administrator
7,725 Posts
Any feedback on the SCT GTX?

From what I can find, it has pre-loaded tunes for improved MPG, as well as, towing or performance?
Pre-loaded tunes are junk. If you are spending money on a tuning device, get custom tunes. The device that you use doesn't really matter all that much depending if you are wanting to monitor different PID's while driving.

·
Premium Member
2,088 Posts
Pre-loaded tunes are junk. If you are spending money on a tuning device, get custom tunes. The device that you use doesn't really matter all that much depending if you are wanting to monitor different PID's while driving.
Really, I’ve heard quite a few folks that like BK’s canned tunes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
7,725 Posts
Really, I’ve heard quite a few folks that like BK’s canned tunes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Canned tunes from SCT devices are junk compared to a custom tune. And if you are referring to "canned tunes" from BoostKing, I wouldn't technically call those "canned".

·
Premium Member
2,088 Posts
Canned tunes from SCT devices are junk compared to a custom tune. And if you are referring to "canned tunes" from BoostKing, I wouldn't technically call those "canned".

Ummmm....The canned tunes were built by BK. I've now read at least 20 posts on this and the "Other" site where folks are liking the SCT canned tunes more than their MPT or 5* tunes.

·
Administrator
9,483 Posts
From what I understand, not all, but many of the sct device canned tunes were written by BK. As I understand it there are some that were written by his predecessor.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
7,725 Posts
Are you referring to BoostKing as "BK" in your posts, I didn't know that he actually wrote the canned tunes for SCT.

The canned tunes on my 2013 knocked even more than the stock tune did...I can't speak for MPT or 5* as I only had LET and Unleashed on my previous truck.

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
From what I understand, not all, but many of the sct device canned tunes were written by BK. As I understand it there are some that were written by his predecessor.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk
I was wondering about that, I have a friend who just got a bdx and while waiting for his custom tunes he tried the canned one, said he removed it the next day and will just wait for the custom ones. Guess he wasn't impressed at all. Wonder if he got old ones? He said first thing he did when he got the device was make sure it was updated.
I just told him a canned tune is a canned tune, may work great on one truck but not so much on another. Every truck is different even if pretty much set up identical.

I'm on every page, forum and I haven't seen but a post or two with people saying their canned tunes were better then custom, and the ones I did they hadn't really datalogged yet

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
About this Discussion
24 Replies
14 Participants
miniceptor86
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing