F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking under the hood. Top mounted cooler would take shorter routed piping and theirs plenty of room under the hood. Would just need a vent cutout.

Just some ideas for our fabricators ;)

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
I was kind of wondering the same thing. Why didn't Ford do that?

Then I thought about it, the Impreza's have been notorious for heat soaking their intercoolers for years. Do to the slower speeds our truck usually travel at it'd probably be more of a problem for us.

The durability factor would greatly increase though!

·
Registered
805 Posts
Top mount = heat soak, not a great scenario for an intercooler from my experience. Most top mount guys immediately move them to front mounts.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Top mount = heat soak, not a great scenario for an intercooler from my experience. Most top mount guys immediately move them to front mounts.
Yes. Just like the Full Race IC shrouds all behind it to a massive degree to where it takes away from other cooling. You need direct airflow on every single cooling system heat exchanger no matter the vehicle. Air to Air cooling in particular compared to air to water systems like Vortechs after cooler.. Air to air needs constant airflow and liquid to air is self sufficient. We have been in the tuning business quite a long time and there are many do's and dont's. Warm climates and stop and go traffic suffer immensely with air to air intercooling and need all the help possible especially at higher boost levels. Been tuning in SoCal, Az, Tx, etc for a long time and you have to be smart and efficient when it come cooling. Balance is the key.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nothing a few slim fans won't fix, but I think the F150 has plenty of room for air flow up front. My evo never had an issue, and I live in AZ

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
Yes. Just like the Full Race IC shrouds all behind it to a massive degree to where it takes away from other cooling. You need direct airflow on every single cooling system heat exchanger no matter the vehicle. Air to Air cooling in particular compared to air to water systems like Vortechs after cooler.. Air to air needs constant airflow and liquid to air is self sufficient. We have been in the tuning business quite a long time and there are many do's and dont's. Warm climates and stop and go traffic suffer immensely with air to air intercooling and need all the help possible especially at higher boost levels. Been tuning in SoCal, Az, Tx, etc for a long time and you have to be smart and efficient when it come cooling. Balance is the key.
I agree with you 100%, but for some of having the IC that close to the ground is not ideal. If I was building a street truck bumper mount would have been the best choice.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I agree with you 100%, but for some of having the IC that close to the ground is not ideal. If I was building a street truck bumper mount would have been the best choice.
You have options: Raise the IC, or raise the truck. I'm going to start with raising the truck :p

·
Registered
805 Posts
Yes. Just like the Full Race IC shrouds all behind it to a massive degree to where it takes away from other cooling.
Instead of talking down your competitor, let your products speak for themselves if they really are better than the competition. People will figure out if they want to spend $1600 for your intercooler if they want to budget for it.
Come out with some good dynos yourself (you do have a test truck, right?) and what would be really awesome is to take the truck to the track, run it on stock intercooler then swap to yours (30 minutes, right?) and run it back to back. Make sure to let the stock IC cool for 30 minutes before it's run to be fair.
I think that after the 100s of Full-Race Intercoolers out there they would have some complaints from customers but I haven't seen or heard of one and quite a few customers here in Phoenix with them, can't get worse than that for cooling/condensor blockage issue testing, yet none have been reported. Their own test truck with big single has no issue with their intercooler towing their race cars in the summer, no raise in temperature or A/C temp issues when 120 degrees here, I've ridden in the truck myself and not felt any issues with the A/C.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Instead of talking down your competitor, let your products speak for themselves if they really are better than the competition. People will figure out if they want to spend $1600 for your intercooler if they want to budget for it.
Come out with some good dynos yourself (you do have a test truck, right?) and what would be really awesome is to take the truck to the track, run it on stock intercooler then swap to yours (30 minutes, right?) and run it back to back. Make sure to let the stock IC cool for 30 minutes before it's run to be fair.
I think that after the 100s of Full-Race Intercoolers out there they would have some complaints from customers but I haven't seen or heard of one and quite a few customers here in Phoenix with them, can't get worse than that for cooling/condensor blockage issue testing, yet none have been reported. Their own test truck with big single has no issue with their intercooler towing their race cars in the summer, no raise in temperature or A/C temp issues when 120 degrees here, I've ridden in the truck myself and not felt any issues with the A/C.

That's a KO

·
Registered
873 Posts
I agree with you 100%, but for some of having the IC that close to the ground is not ideal. If I was building a street truck bumper mount would have been the best choice.[/QUOTE
The Eco is basically useless on a farm. Drive it out in the field and the inter cooler will be plugged completely up. Poor product testing to me. Also don't appreciate the location for rocks popping up and bending the fins on the highway. Rocks used to pop up and hit/break my fog lights on my mustang all the time.

·
Registered
46 Posts
That's a KO
No its not. Not even close. Its just the pot calling the kettle black as we have witnessed Napa Know how on every other forum and her pms others have forwarded. The Full Race is a very nice looking set up however we used customers input on what the DID NOT LIKE about that setup. Napa Know how is just a parts sales guy with limited overall knowlege and especially with the tuning aspects. Very very limited.

·
Registered
805 Posts
No its not. Not even close. Its just the pot calling the kettle black as we have witnessed Napa Know how on every other forum and her pms others have forwarded. The Full Race is a very nice looking set up however we used customers input on what the DID NOT LIKE about that setup. Napa Know how is just a parts sales guy with limited overall knowlege and especially with the tuning aspects. Very very limited.
Until you break 600hp on custom created fuel system, with small turbos you're just talking smack again. NAPA know how as you call me made more horsepower on a transverse motor than Ford racing. So far you resell others work and do some tuning, nothing custom being created by you. Keep talking I'm glad people are seeing your true colors.

·
Registered
507 Posts
EcoPP

Look if you need a winch or would like your cac up and away from damage then yes the FR is your option. But it will block your rad and block airflow. Thats just a fact. I have also seen FR users state the condensation issue was still present. The Bell unit is drop in, best flowing, and best construction.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
EcoPP

Look if you need a winch or would like your cac up and away from damage then yes the FR is your option. But it will block your rad and block airflow. Thats just a fact. I have also seen FR users state the condensation issue was still present. The Bell unit is drop in, best flowing, and best construction.

It's just an ATP copy...

You keep using that word best, but I do not think it means what you think it means.

ATP is the best. Best construction, best materials, drop in, first to market, and affordable. See I can do it too...
;-)

"Best" is one man's opinion.

·
Registered
507 Posts
It's just an ATP copy...

You keep using that word best, but I do not think it means what you think it means.

ATP is the best. Best construction, best materials, drop in, first to market, and affordable. See I can do it too...
;-)

"Best" is one man's opinion.
If it was an ATP copy then it would have 2 cores correct? It doesn't. Wonder why? Because a single core is better. So explain to me how an inferior design can be better?

·
Registered
805 Posts
EcoPP

You can't actually prove that scientificaly can you? You've stated your opinion about best flowing, best construction. I think the other intercoolers (Wagner being probably the best overall constuction) work just as well, (ATP drops in) but cost considerably less. You have no tests to prove that it addresses any condensation issues and until you actually have a wide enough customer base in the climates that cause it you won't be able to prove it.
As far as FR IC, I've stated my proof that the intercooler in 120 degree weather does NOT impact the cooling/AC systems, there's many hours of data logging on Full-Race's truck with the big single (makes more HP than any other F150 out there).
You are stating opinions and marketing hype not fact and no data to back up the claims.
Again nice piece, but prove your points don't just make statements.

One thing to consider, I made 600WHP in my Flex with a 1" thick intercooler that was approximately 20" tall by 30" wide, a huge restriction yet still made 600HP. My mods were dual upgraded in tank fuel pumps with modified stock intake manifold with 6 aux injectors, aux injector controller, downpipes and a cold air with ATP upgraded turbos. You guys can buy intercoolers but you're paying $1600 (for their IC) for 10HP of actual power, that's not a great ROI. The Full-Race unit is a nice piece as well but $1200 is even a bit much BUT it's a work of art with a great core.
I'd rather spend less money on an intercooler and $600 on a meth kit for BIG HP increase vs a $1600 intercooler. I'm all about maximizing my performance dollars. A gallon of meth should last at least a week or two (maybe longer depending on your lead foot) and you'll pick up 60+ HP to the wheels as compared to the 10 (or so) from an intercooler. Long term E85 is the BIG gain, 60-100+ HP to the wheels when tuned for it and no meth required. I've proven that on my Flex, closest SHO to me was 430HP on 93 with meth with upgraded Tial turbos vs 600HP on E85 with upgraded turbos.

Take notice, I'm not disparaging SSI, just disagreeing with the marketing hype that is being extolled by them and their customers. I also rebutted their down talking of the competition which isn't required.
Put up FACTs, don't put up hype and if SSI wants to keep talking about me (they love me on their forum) then keep avoiding the actual technical discussion, keep saying I only resell parts (I've had my hand in quite a few custom parts prototyped for the SHO/Flex market and working slowly on F150 stuff). They're putting up smoke screens to avoid the actual tech talk which I LOVE.
BTW, I don't tune, I don't want to tune, I've spent a bit working on the Flex but in the end Torrie was easier than spending my time to learn how to tune. Between working a full time job, running a parts company and now we're in wrestling season my time is at a premium (I volunteer coach and work out with the heavyweights), I'll leave tuning to [email protected], he's awesome, professional and he can tune (has direct tie ins with SCT as well).

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.