F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help, I am trying to confirm what I think is Torque Convertor Shudder

2015 F150 Fx4 w/ 129K miles. Transmission was last serviced at 115K, just fluid and filter change. Plugs were done at 100K. No fluid leaks, but there is seepage on the rear pumpkin.

I was accelerating onto the freeway at about 7000 feet in elevation and a warm 27 degrees this evening. It felt like truck was hitting rumble strips 3-4 times and when I took my foot off the gas it stopped. I accelerated again, and it happened again plus I got a flashing check engine light. The light flashed maybe 10 times and then went out. The shudder came back a couple of times over the next 30-40 miles, all mountain driving. After that I drove another 180 miles home, averaging 75mph and pulled 19.5 mpg. When I got home, I checked codes, none (Of course not!).

Thoughts? Am I losing my torque convertor? If so, any thoughts on the cost besides “I don’t want to pay for it.”

· Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
While it could be transmission shudder, it cleared up?

I'd certainly look for condensation in the Intercooler before I dug too deep. It's that time of year.
It did clear up. Though to be honest, that flashing CEL stayed in my memory all the way home.

So, about this condensation, when would I see it? If it shudders, do I stop and check then? Sorry for the dumb question.

I have not drilled the weep hole, why-no good reason, just never did.

· Premium Member
2022 Powergrid KingRanch in Sparkle White
15,277 Posts
Well you either pull the hose and get a good look at the bottom of the Intercooler belly, or you drill the 1/16" hole.

If you have enough condensation to be sucked into the combustion chamber, you'll see it pooled or leaking out.

If it's dry, you can plug that tiny hole up with a screw.

· Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, the shudder came back again.

I drilled the weep hole about 3 weeks ago, almost 2000 miles ago and today in 45 degree dry weather, the shudder came back. The truck had been on for about 15 minutes. I was on the freeway (had been for awhile) and was accelerating to pass a slow moving vehicle. The truck shuddered, engine light flashed, but the then the truck just accelerated. The light flashed for about 30 seconds.

Any thoughts?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts