F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Torrie:

We all know you are a busy guy and probably get a ton of e-mails each day ... some from newbies buying tunes, some from customers looking to optimize a tune, and some from old timers seeking a "little tweak" for a new mod.

But, if someone would like to know something (and many of us may have the same question), rather than having just one e-mail and enlightening ONE person, what about posting questions in your forum.

I know we did that a while back with explaining Knock Retard. Instead of guys e-mailing questions (other than specific issues with their tune) ... they could post their question here?

·
Vendor
7,389 Posts
Great idea. Thanks guys. I have a question that may or may not be for here but will ask. Most guys spray meth at Throttle Body in a spacer. Some have nozzles down the charge pipe a little bit before the TB and say it atomizes more prior to entering the intake. Have you seen or noticed any difference when tuning for meth when they spray in the two different locations? Maybe that is not info that is given to you by a client when you are asked to provide the proper tune for meth but I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Anyway, thanks guys for a great thread

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I recently purchased tunes from Torrie and so far the base tune has great characteristics.... the shifting is pretty spot on, I will drop 1st to 2nd shift from 15mph to 10 or so. Other then that we just need to start turning her up. I just received new set of 6510s and boots, soon as I get that installed we will start the climb to dailing her in. So far so good... I really think this is going to become a awesome tune.
Really looking forward to dailing them in and working with Torrie. So far the customer service has been outstanding with speedy responses.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
671 Posts
Personally I have had my meth installed in the tube at first, then moved to the throttle spacer. No change in performance. To me, the spacer was cleaner and safer is all.
I was running 100% meth so I wanted as safe as I can.

·
Registered
5,226 Posts

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Will a change in gas, summer to winter, be something to be worried about running a performance tune?
I know this is an ask Torrie a question thread, but my observations over a couple years are this. Every fall there are a couple engines that pop, I would guess it is from switching to winter fuel. I personally run an octane less of a tune in fall for the sudden switch to winter fuel. Or run something a little milder like a tow tune. Thats just my 2c.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I think its a combination of things. Degradation of fuel quality that combined with better atmospheric conditions. Plus If I have worked with someone when its 80 degrees out to maximize their file when it drops to 40 there is a good posibility fuel pressure will drop too low and that in itself is bad. We are up against the fuel system wall when its hot out. The better the atmosphere the higher the fuel requirements.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
We are up against the fuel system wall when its hot out. The better the atmosphere the higher the fuel requirements.
Can you elaborate on this a bit? Up against the fuel when it's hot out? Or did you mean cold?

Sorry just trying to wrap my head around it.

So would you suggest that it's better to data log and get the tune dialed in when it's cold? Or hot? Or would you suggest maybe having a winter and summer tune setup?

Also to Voz's point, I know we have seen some blown motors during the fall months, but haven't many of them happened on stock trucks? Maybe when the winter fuel comes around is a good time to reset KAM and let the PCM relearn with the new fuel and atmospheric conditions?

Sorry again, these questions aren't necessarily directed at Torrie, although I'm sure he has good answers to them, I'm just thinking out loud.

·
Registered
439 Posts
My point was that you can go outside of the stock fuel system when its hot out and that gets exacerbated with better atmospheric conditions. Having a conservative file for winter would be useful if you were maximized when hot. If you live in FL its not that big of a deal then say up north with a broader temperature differential.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Maybe when the winter fuel comes around is a good time to reset KAM and let the PCM relearn with the new fuel and atmospheric conditions?
I've thought about this, but how do you know when it is? Kam reset at every fuel up maybe?

Reactions: norcal_ecoscrew

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
I've thought about this, but how do you know when it is? Kam reset at every fuel up maybe?
Well I know when the switch to winter gas is here because I have family that works in the local refineries here.

But doesn't the PCM learn for a few hundred miles? If so, by the time your ready to fill up again, your PCM has just barely finished learning.

Reactions: Vozaday

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
So what kind of changes, what to look for specifically or monitor? Should we worry about engine blowing up?

What about someone ran lets say an 89 tune and used 91 gas....should that be safe?

edit- when does winter gas go into the pumps?

·
Registered
439 Posts
So what kind of changes, what to look for specifically or monitor? Should we worry about engine blowing up?

What about someone ran lets say an 89 tune and used 91 gas....should that be safe?

edit- when does winter gas go into the pumps?
Potentially it depends on the calibration in use and its aggressiveness. Monitor WOT AFR / Fuel pressure / Knock retard.

You can use higher octane fuel with a lower octane calibration usually without a problem. You just can't do the inverse.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Can i go 12.60 this October, and get to work for many mondays to follow? This is my only question for you sir lol.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts