F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I had forgotten about this old volt meter I cut the 9v connector to use on something else in a pinch. I also cut the leads for some reason, but still had them too. (no clue why I cut those??) o_O

Here is a series of useless pics of me splicing the wires back together for no other reason than that I could and a chance to play with some toys in my Man Cave. :cool:

It was all done in my Man Cave, so I hope this still qualifies as a topic to be posted here? If not, well, there you go!

What I started with:

After stripping the wire ends:

Solder of the 9volt batt wires:

After heat shrink on splice:

Crimped ends of the leads.. (thought about solder too, but crimping was easier and cleaner result):

After heat shrink on leads:

Battery installed in meter:

Showing that it still works! (charger is on "float mode" for parked F150):

Ha, ha.. Mitch :sleep:

· Registered
4,051 Posts
Even if you can replace it for free 3 times a year at HF, some efforts are satisfying. :)

· Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I actually just realized that this was actually an "Engine Analyzer".. Note that it can read "RPMs and the other settings below that is for "DWELL" for 4, 5, 6, 8 cylinder engines!.

I think I bought this back when I had my old 71 LTD as a teenager. I can't remember how it connected. Had to be to the coil and ground I assume to read rpms and dwell?? I probably still have the owners manual for it too! Just have to go thru the stack of them I still have for stuff I don't even own anymore.. :geek:

Mitch

· Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just one more thing to post that is totally useless that I did for this "project"... I saw this 'hack' on youtube from someone, but when I tired it, it works pretty good and is therapeutic to some extent! Makes those cheap blue wire crimp connectors a lot nicer looking as long as you can heat shrink the spice. This was done in one take and only paused to switch to show the example of how it works.. Again, done in my Man Cave... ha, ha..! :p:p

Mitch

· Registered
10,507 Posts
Just did a little soldering myself today. Put XT60 and XT90 plugs on some of my RC car batteries and speed controllers.

I got a BatteryTender 5A charger that has stopped working so im hoping to crack that open in the next couple of days to see if something came loose.

· Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No snow, but rain and cold enough to keep me inside and just watching useless NFL playoffs.. :)

Plus, Man Cave time and ample beer fridge stock.. :p

Mitch

• Love
Reactions: Boatwaco
1 - 10 of 10 Posts