F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
$21 for a small bottle of touch-up paint at the only local stealership. And it's not stocked, they have to order it, 7 days delivery. I didn't realize paint code went by VIN, never ordered it before. Shame on me for chipping my own hood while applying clay bar.

·
Administrator
4,074 Posts

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
$21 for a small bottle of touch-up paint at the only local stealership. And it's not stocked, they have to order it, 7 days delivery. I didn't realize paint code went by VIN, never ordered it before. Shame on me for chipping my own hood while applying clay bar.
You will be happy with the ordered paint. There is a difference. I used some ingot silver from oreillys that was a "direct match" and it was way off.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm guessing he used a ginormous clay pot??????
Close. Standing on a step-stool to reach aft center of the hood (I'm vertically challenged), I set the spray bottle down on the hood after applying spray, and the wind blew it over. Chips are up near the windshield.

·
Administrator
4,074 Posts
Close. Standing on a step-stool to reach aft center of the hood (I'm vertically challenged), I set the spray bottle down on the hood after applying spray, and the wind blew it over. Chips are up near the windshield.
Is this the spray bottle?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
One of the first things I do when I buy a new vehicle is order touch-up paint from the dealership. This will give me the best chance of a perfect paint match (I too have had cheap touch-up paint and won't buy it anymore).

Where I live, rock chips are the norm - especially during winter. Twice a year (typically Spring and Fall), I go around the vehicle looking for little chips and touch them up immediately to avoid rust developing. I also will wax & polish all the chrome bumpers at the same time. Especially Spring, as I noticed these will start to show the first signs of rust from winter. So the moment I notice anything, I immediately polish it out. And Fall is mostly for protection.

Where I live, it's amazing how many new trucks with chrome bumpers have rust developing, and the trucks are only a few years old. It's from all the crap they throw on the roads during winter.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Got mine on Amazon using paint code from door sticker; it's in Ford packaging and appears to be an exact match.

That said, I did similar for my daughter's 2008 Escape and got way the wrong color.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
find a local auto body paint shop. they should be able to mix up a spry bomb and a bottle of touch up. where do you think the body shops all get it from? my 2 trucks dang it BOTH are the metal flake.
2014 F150 SCREW FX4 with the Tuxedo black & 2019 SCREW F250 Lariat FX4 with the White Platinum Tricoat

1 - 14 of 14 Posts