F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2019 F150 Supercrew 3.5L with 3.55 Axle & 145 wheel base. When looking at Ford specs for Tow Capacity and 5th-Wheel Capacity there was a note (1) on 5th Wheel section "Vehicles equipped with 5.5 box will accept a 5th-wheel hitch, but current 5th-wheel trailer designs are not compatiable with this model (145" wheel base super crew)." Since I just bought the vehicle and am in the market for a light-weight 5th-wheel how do I get information on what the issue is? I don't want to ask any RV dealership so should I query manufacturers or where at Ford can I direct my question? Thank You.

·
Premium Member
5,326 Posts
I'm not trying to bust your bubble, but if you intended to pull a ½ton rated 5th wheel, why get the 5.5 box?

It's incredibly limiting in an already small market of RV's to choose from.

When tempted to replace a SuperDuty truck for yanking a 5th, I explained to my brother that he should order the extended wheelbase HDPP F150 package. He did in fact replace his beloved 7.3 with it. Although he still is pulling a bumper pull RV with it, that truck absolutely can handle a fair number of 5ths on the current market.

The average F150 with its 1500-1800lbs of cargo capacity and the 5.5 bed are probably very very limited as 5th wheel contenders. Even with something like the new Winnebago ultralight 5ths, it'd be far nicer to have that extra 12" in the bed.

All of this is just one goofy old man's opinion. So don't let me steal your ambition.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, I had a F150 that was v6 that had the standard 5000/500 ratings and I bought the current F150 specifically for trailer and I upgraded to Super Crew. I got short bed because I had no intention of getting a 5th-wheel, that being said a lot of dealers advertise compatibility with 5.5 bed with new goose neck without need of slider so am I missing something? Sorry as I probably need to ask this to RV forum, but I never saw note until I put my glasses on when on Ford page.

·
Premium Member
5,326 Posts
Thanks for the reply, I had a F150 that was v6 that had the standard 5000/500 ratings and I bought the current F150 specifically for trailer and I upgraded to Super Crew. I got short bed because I had no intention of getting a 5th-wheel, that being said a lot of dealers advertise compatibility with 5.5 bed with new goose neck without need of slider so am I missing something? Sorry as I probably need to ask this to RV forum, but I never saw note until I put my glasses on when on Ford page.
You certainly can ask questions on an RV forum, but the RV guys around here will tell you that you will get KILLED talking ½ton in most RV forums. Lol

I don't mean to state that you can't use a short bed F150 for towing a 5th, but the selection of RV's and the choices for hitching equipment is pretty narrow.

It's true that you can convert a 5th to a gooseneck. I spent about $450 doing just that so I could move my brother's (different brother) 5th around with my tractor. Worked PERFECTLY!

It's certainly an option!
20200101_155626.jpg

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I use forums to get educated and not to redicule anyone. I'm asked a simple question about why Ford had the note. So I get the short bed is not designed for a 5ver now even though it has the power. On the RV forums you get some answers but never a response like don't ever go there asking a question about a short bed. Sure glad I didn't role onto this with a Chevy, thanks for the EcoBoost support.

·
Registered
202 Posts
When turning, most 5th wheels have a strong possibility of striking the cab if towing with the 5.5 box and standard hitch.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
I use forums to get educated and not to redicule anyone. I'm asked a simple question about why Ford had the note. So I get the short bed is not designed for a 5ver now even though it has the power. On the RV forums you get some answers but never a response like don't ever go there asking a question about a short bed. Sure glad I didn't role onto this with a Chevy, thanks for the EcoBoost support.
I think its simply because Ford knows that there are limited or no options to make it work well with a 5.5’ bed and its more of a cover—their-ass type of statement. If you can make it work then I think you can ignore the statement.

Most “half ton” 5th wheels will exceed the capacity of most half tons. Usually it requires you being very specific in your truck selection to make it work to get the payload and axle ratings where you need them to be.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Most 1/2 ton towable 5th wheels require the capabilities of a long bed or 6.5 bed truck with HDPP and Max tow. Can a 1/2 ton tow a 5th wheel. Yeah, but not just any 1/2 ton...it's gotta be a unicorn.

·
Premium Member
5,326 Posts
There ARE new 5th wheels being manufactured just to grab some ½ton market share.

Very carefully they are addressing pin weight and are ambitiously targeting 1000lbs

In theory that leaves enough Cargo Capacity for lots of ½ton trucks. And you gotta admit that 1000lbs on the pin would tow FAR nicer than 800lbs on the tongue of a bumper pull!

Here's one that is name brand and shows that it's a legitimate example of serious effort to cater to a less than HDPP F150.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I think the proble is mounting the 5th wheel hitch in a spot on the bed that's ahead of the rear axle on a 5.5' bed, so you get decent weight distribution that 5th wheels have AND still have room so you don't crush the cab on a turn..

Even with the 6.5' bed, it's gonna push that..

They have hitch extenders and slider hitches of course, but that just adds $$ to the equation.. I'd rather tow a #1000 TW TT than a #1000 TW 5th wheel just because I don't like 5th wheels in general! ha, ha!! My folks have a 14K GVWR one and it's just a PITA to deal with..

Personal preference of course for every one... I guess that's why people still use TENTS!, ha, ha...

Good luck!

Mitch

·
Premium Member
5,326 Posts
I'm a bumper pulling RV'er, don't misunderstand. But I once had the privilege of driving a friend's F350 from Dallas to Houston with a very heavy gooseneck trailer hitched up. Long enclosed and full of livestock.

I was AMAZED at how winds and road irregularities and 18 wheelers barely phased it, comparatively speaking. The "footing" of the truck felt incredibly planted.

So I admit that I wish I could have my cake and eat it too. I want cost and economics of F150 and lighter RV's, but still have the weight and hitch-pivot over the axle.

The good news is that it appears that the market is looking to accommodate it.

·
Registered
202 Posts
There ARE new 5th wheels being manufactured just to grab some ½ton market share.

Very carefully they are addressing pin weight and are ambitiously targeting 1000lbs

In theory that leaves enough Cargo Capacity for lots of ½ton trucks. And you gotta admit that 1000lbs on the pin would tow FAR nicer than 800lbs on the tongue of a bumper pull!

Here's one that is name brand and shows that it's a legitimate example of serious effort to cater to a less than HDPP F150.

Well, I'll be darned...it looks like I'm behind the times and generally uninformed about the availability of 5th wheels that can be towed with a rather ordinary 1/2 ton truck. I'm still of the opinion that an 8' box is the best choice...perhaps a superCab with an 8' box? My understanding that anything other than a Scamp or Escape 5th wheel just wouldn't work very well seem to be wrong. Color me more informed. This forum is a plethora of information. Thanks.

(And I still wouldn't want a Micro-Minnie fiver...the Escape would be my choice.)

·
Administrator
9,946 Posts
I think the proble is mounting the 5th wheel hitch in a spot on the bed that's ahead of the rear axle on a 5.5' bed, so you get decent weight distribution that 5th wheels have AND still have room so you don't crush the cab on a turn..

Even with the 6.5' bed, it's gonna push that..

They have hitch extenders and slider hitches of course, but that just adds $$ to the equation.. I'd rather tow a #1000 TW TT than a #1000 TW 5th wheel just because I don't like 5th wheels in general! ha, ha!! My folks have a 14K GVWR one and it's just a PITA to deal with..

Personal preference of course for every one... I guess that's why people still use TENTS!, ha, ha...

Good luck!

Mitch

One good solution for that is a Reese Sidewinder pinbox. The pivot point at the coupler is locked, and the pivot point is moved back to the nose of the camper. Works pretty slick and doesn't move the load back on the truck.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
Bunch of 5th wheel noobs in here.

·
Premium Member
5,326 Posts
Lol

Triple axle Toy Hauler. Surely even Meaz would be just a little squeamish?

It IS a 6.5' box though.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
Lol

Triple axle Toy Hauler. Surely even Meaz would be just a little squeamish?

It IS a 6.5' box though.

This was a funny story. The guy was on F150forum and would post it up and people told him he was insane. He would fly off the handle immediately and tell everyone they had no idea what they were talking about, this and that. He didnt need or want an F250/350 etc.

Well, it was a 5.0, and he towed it to Colorado with a 93 Octane tune on it. Obviously, he couldnt get 93 everywhere but he continued to run the tune and pulled some passes and started getting an audible knocking. So then he went and traded it in on an F350 DRW Powerstroke.

Guy was a jackass. BUT, it was a minimally optioned HDPP truck and he scaled it. It was like 20 lbs over GVWR and I believe was under RAWR. I think because it was a 5.0 it was also technically over GCWR but would not have been if it was a 3.5 HDPP.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts