F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,897 Posts
Those are technically 150 (½ ton) friendly for a 5th wheel. But with those pin weights, they still require far more than the average 1500lb cargo capacity.

But dang it's cool that they are designing fully featured 5ths for smaller trucks now.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have 2250 payload and the 8’ bed. With weight of the hitch, me, the wife, dog and tools I could do it.

Don't know if I want to push that close.....

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
Grand Design, which is owned by Winnebago, makes a line of 5th wheels designed to be towed with 150's. 2020 Reflection 150 Series Fifth Wheel
The GD owners website aren’t as s”””h”””s as other sites and are much more friendlier (my opinion) they even have a thread on the f150 even praising the EcoBoost.

·
Premium Member
5,897 Posts
I have 2250 payload and the 8’ bed. With weight of the hitch, me, the wife, dog and tools I could do it.

Don't know if I want to push that close.....
In my opinion, "pushing that close" with a 5th is different than "pushing that close" with a bumper hitch.

Or put another way, if both were using up exactly the same percentage of cargo capacity, they would still feeeeel very different from the drivers seat.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Understood. Haven’t ruled it out. But looking smaller.

The Grand Design 25 foot TT’s. 6K lbs. empty and 7.5K lbs. loaded, with around 900 lbs hitch weight.

Just two of us.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey Snakebitten, if you don't mind telling (apologies if you already have), what are the specifics on your brother's unicorn?
As you can see in my signature, I have a 2013 F150 SCAB XLT 4x4 with max tow but not HDPP. Max payload is only 1,660. I have been pulling a ~ 6,000 lb TT (sitting on the side of my house, winterized), and a couple months ago had my a$$ handed to me on the Keystone forum. The trailer pulls great, but since the exchange I have been all over looking at numbers and smaller trailers. I'm retired and decided I want to stay with the same truck (only 60K miles, and limited budget.) Before I downsize on trailer, in the spring I will unload all the non-essential crap I stuff into the front storage area and under the bed and re-take it to the scales. A year ago I needed to replace tires and upgraded to LT tires rather than another set of passenger tires. I would love to still make this combination work, even it I have beef up the back end with a few minor upgrades. (I'm wondering what HDPP changes on the truck to get the higher payload.)

Not always a problem.

(my go-to brother's unicorn) View attachment 164604

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
Personally, I don't see what the problem is?-lol
You've got a Great Truck (a given)....now match up the weights vs what you can safely tow (some max/weight tow-😁 )
Get out their-glamp in style!
And for all those Travel Trailer Forums (like Keystone vs F150 EcoBoost 1/2 ton towing threads 😊).....I just tell them point blank> go test drive one ( because you have NO idea what your talking about until you do so) in addition to owning one, than get back to me!
Good day ehh.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,897 Posts
I'm pretty sure if you read the manual that you will find that they recommend for the slideout(s) to be fully retracted before towing. :)

Probably worth 1-2 mpg too.

·
Premium Member
5,897 Posts
Hey Snakebitten, if you don't mind telling (apologies if you already have), what are the specifics on your brother's unicorn?
As you can see in my signature, I have a 2013 F150 SCAB XLT 4x4 with max tow but not HDPP. Max payload is only 1,660. I have been pulling a ~ 6,000 lb TT (sitting on the side of my house, winterized), and a couple months ago had my a$$ handed to me on the Keystone forum. The trailer pulls great, but since the exchange I have been all over looking at numbers and smaller trailers. I'm retired and decided I want to stay with the same truck (only 60K miles, and limited budget.) Before I downsize on trailer, in the spring I will unload all the non-essential crap I stuff into the front storage area and under the bed and re-take it to the scales. A year ago I needed to replace tires and upgraded to LT tires rather than another set of passenger tires. I would love to still make this combination work, even it I have beef up the back end with a few minor upgrades. (I'm wondering what HDPP changes on the truck to get the higher payload.)
Different Frame/axles/wheels/.....

But like meaz above states, don't listen to the RV forum towing gestapo. If you have 1600lbs Payload and a 6000lb TT, you should be able to get everything setup perfectly fine and be towing within limits.

·
Registered
231 Posts
And for all those Travel Trailer Forums (like Keystone vs F150 EcoBoost 1/2 ton towing threads 😊).....I just tell them point blank> go test drive one ( because you have NO idea what your talking about until you do so) in addition to owning one, than get back to me!
I'm betting a lot of them have tried towing a larger TT with a half ton, probably one not as well equipped to tow as an EcoBoost, and probably without properly set up weight distribution and stabilizing. Not as big a consideration with a 3/4 ton and up.

towing.jpg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,897 Posts
Y'all should try being over there with the little engine. Lol

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk
Over there, 3.5 is still a little engine.

Actually, 3.5 IS a little engine. We've all been brainwashed to believe otherwise

·
Administrator
10,229 Posts
Oh yes. I love it when the 3.5 fanbois on other places talk about how "small" the 2.7 is .

By old school standards even the 5.0 is small. My old (first) truck had a 460. It has taken quite a bit of growth for me over the years to accept going down to a half ton, and then the one with the smallest engine on the market to boot!

Still, the camper I tow now is very similar in length and weight to the camper I used to tow with that old 460. As far as motor is concerned the 2.7 will run circles around it. And gets better mileage while towing than the 460 did unloaded.

The old f250 (little known fact, that era came in a 250 and a 250 HD. Mine was/is the HD. Ran into that buying some parts one time and kept getting the wrong stuff and we didn't know why) actually didn't stop a load as well as this f150. 4 wheel disc brakes are a beautiful thing! I always chuckle when guys say bUt CaN iT SToP iT. Nobody would bat an eye if I couple 15,000 lbs to the back of that old f250 (we have) but some have a stroke if I put 6,000 behind this new half ton.

As far as stability and whatnot goes, the old 250 definitely has an edge there, but how could it not. Extended cab 8'bed, and one spring pack on that truck has more spring capacity than all 4 corners on this one I think. Lol

Careful hitch setup and loading cleans that right up though.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,897 Posts
All good points.

The only thing my old 1 ton truck(s) were compared to the current? HEAVY

There are very few advantages they had over a current F150 2.7

It's really quite remarkable

·
Premium Member
5,897 Posts
Its the engine that could! Besides , we have more horsepower per litre then the rest of 'em.
120.37!
That really is REMARKABLE for a mass production pickup truck that is supposed to deliver 100,000 miles of trouble free output.
(or more)

Just a few years ago that was High Performance Motorcycle HP/liter territory. When the industry hit 100/liter, it was heralded as quite the benchmark.

It's crazy that those 2.7's are beyond that benchmark and are robustly built for it.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts