F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
His has happened now twice and it's starting to worry me. When I've had my trailer hooked up and the truck in tow haul mode I've found myself in a situation where I need to floor the truck from a stop to get ahead of a bad driver. The truck shifts through first quickly but when Im in second and i hit the 35-40 speed limit and let off the gas, The truck then hangs in second for a good 4-5 seconds revved up at 5.5k rpms. It sticks to the point I don't think it's going to shift and start moving to turn off tow haul or hit the plus on the gear selector. Even if I let off the throttle completely it refuses to shift for a few seconds.

Anyone seen anything like this on their truck?

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
It may be normal especially due to the fact you are getting on it.
My 04 F-350 diesel will do the same thing both getting on it and when I apply brakes going down a hill.
It definitely get's your attention.

·
Registered
59 Posts
How heavy is your trailer? Tow/haul mode specifically says "delays shifts". So if your trailer is under 5k, I wouldn't bother with tow/haul if you're not cool with it doing what it's designed to do.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah that's a good point delaying shifts but 4-5 seconds at 5.5k rpms makes you do a second look haha. I don't remember any other vehicle I've had act like this in tow haul mode. 01 f250, 04 f150, 05 f250, 08 f150, 04 z71, 05 2500

I'm pulling prolly 4500-5500 lbs.

Sounds like its ordinary so I'll just mark it up as normal tow haul methods and just keep and eye on it. Thanks the assistance.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
His has happened now twice and it's starting to worry me. When I've had my trailer hooked up and the truck in tow haul mode I've found myself in a situation where I need to floor the truck from a stop to get ahead of a bad driver. The truck shifts through first quickly but when Im in second and i hit the 35-40 speed limit and let off the gas, The truck then hangs in second for a good 4-5 seconds revved up at 5.5k rpms. It sticks to the point I don't think it's going to shift and start moving to turn off tow haul or hit the plus on the gear selector. Even if I let off the throttle completely it refuses to shift for a few seconds. Anyone seen anything like this on their truck?
That's normal. Tow/haul works by holding gears longer so that it doesn't shift as often. This helps keep the heat down in the tranny.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
Yeah I get the concept, I've just never had a truck hold the shift to the point I believe the tranny is broke.
Sorry, when I clicked on the thread for some reason only the original post came up. After I responded and it refreshed I saw the other responses lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts