F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else noticed that the Tow/Haul mode doesn't seem to do anything super spectacular? My Duramax used to downshift aggressively in this mode, and hold the gears much longer with the TCC applied from 3rd on. My ecoboost does some lame down shifting, and the hold on the gears is nothing impressive either. Honestly, I enjoy towing with it off rather then on.

·
Registered
589 Posts
The big difference I have noticed is it will hold gears longer and when your on the brakes down shift sooner which helps when towing near the limits of the truck. Way better working than my old 08 f15O or 2005 superduty v10. Now if you ever owned a diesel you will not be as impressed as the EcoBoost lacks the compression to slow down the load as fast but compared to other gas motors its actually pretty slick. Speaking of slick, it's nice you can tow without the tow/haul mode engage in winter time because the last thing you want is a down shift for more power to the wheels or more drag when slowing down when your not expecting it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
One slick thing that I have seen in tow haul mode is when you tap the brake going down hill, it will downshift a gear with each tap of the brake. Mine does hold gears longer in T/H mode and the shifts are much firmer. As far as holding a gear at cruise, I haven't noticed that much difference. I do lock out 6th gear when pulling the big trailer but that you can do in either mode.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
I drove to Tahoe today for a mini vacation. Once I got to the mountains, I put it in tow/haul and it was great even though I wasn't towing. I barely had to use the brakes going down steep grades and it was nice when I had to pass it would down shift quickly to give me passing power. Reminded me of the sport mode in the wife's BMW.

·
Registered
12 Posts
snickers

I just purchased my EB F150 and will be towing a 28 ft, 7200# TT. I am reading about locking out 6th gear. How do you do that?

·
Registered
860 Posts
I normally lock out 6th gear when I'm towing, because sometimes the truck keeps shifting between 5th and 6th. I'm not that concerned about the gas mileage and would rather be more in the power range in 5th.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just purchased my EB F150 and will be towing a 28 ft, 7200# TT. I am reading about locking out 6th gear. How do you do that?
When in "D" (Drive) mode, press the "minus" button on the left side of the shift lever. With each press of the minus, you'll lock-out one more gear.

To reverse this, simply press the "plus" button an equal number of times to unlock.

·
Registered
4 Posts
When towing the option I use the most is turning off the sway control.. I found in a side wind I would correct a split second behind the trucks correction meaning I was over correcting.. Also my mileage went up because the truck brakes the one side of the truck to correct the sway and when towing I do not want any braking going on unless I decide to..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Getting ready for my first extended trip towing my 29' Travel Trailer. Plan on using the two tips about locking out gears and turning off the sway control. We will be heading to Virginia from Indiana so the terrain will vary from flat to mountains. I have a 2012 FX 4 with max towing package. Love everything about it to this point. Will post more upon return.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The big thing I noticed with Tow/Haul Mode is when pulling a heavy trailer and going down a long hill with the CC. Is that it will automaticly shift down to hold you speed back.

My 07 5.4 with the 4 speed auto would not do that. And using the T/H mode when you apply the brakes to slow down it will shift down to save on braking.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Getting ready for my first extended trip towing my 29' Travel Trailer. Plan on using the two tips about locking out gears and turning off the sway control. We will be heading to Virginia from Indiana so the terrain will vary from flat to mountains. I have a 2012 FX 4 with max towing package. Love everything about it to this point. Will post more upon return.
Welcome John! Looking forward to the trip report!

·
Registered
152 Posts
The big difference I have noticed is it will hold gears longer and when your on the brakes down shift sooner which helps when towing near the limits of the truck. Way better working than my old 08 f15O or 2005 superduty v10. Now if you ever owned a diesel you will not be as impressed as the EcoBoost lacks the compression to slow down the load as fast but compared to other gas motors its actually pretty slick. Speaking of slick, it's nice you can tow without the tow/haul mode engage in winter time because the last thing you want is a down shift for more power to the wheels or more drag when slowing down when your not expecting it.
I ahve to agree with AK on this. my experience on this is the same although i think if it had 2 more cylinders it would Hold back a little more on the down hills. I tow in the rocky mountains between Alberta and BC. Some wicked climbs and decends, I even spend a fair bit of time hauling over 8k in cruise control and the truck just makes me giggle.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I okay guys, new to the ecoboost and wondering about some things. How do you turn the sway control off? And mostly I'll be hauling a boat/trailer that weigh 2150lbs. No mountains just a few hills. Should it be a problem not towing it in tow/haul for the sake of saving on fuel?

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
I okay guys, new to the ecoboost and wondering about some things. How do you turn the sway control off? And mostly I'll be hauling a boat/trailer that weigh 2150lbs. No mountains just a few hills. Should it be a problem not towing it in tow/haul for the sake of saving on fuel?
You will be just fine without turning tow haul on. Also, I wouldn't worry about turning trailer sway off. It has only kicked on once and I am glad it did. It was a life saver. But if you do want to turn it off I believe it is under settings

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
14 Participants
Raiderfan1890
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing