F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan to order an FX4 Max Tow soon and was looking for opinions on the factory tow mirrors. I mostly tow a 23 foot travel trailer and need tow mirrors. Has anyone regretted getting the tow mirrors for everyday driving? These mirrors are huge and certainly would be great for towing but are they too big when not towing?
On the other hand do you regret not getting tow mirrors?
thanks

·
Registered
53 Posts
I bought my 2013 xlt and it didn't have tow mirrors. The first thing i did after towing my new camper was order tow mirrors through Ford. Mine just has power mirrors, not power telescoping or folding(they're manual folding and telescoping), but i love them. Even when not towing i can see behind/beside me much better. I towed the camper yesterday for the first time with the new mirrors and it was much, much better. I can now see the side of my camper instead of just the front.

I do not think they're too wide, but i came from a f250 with tow mirrors and then a f350 dually with tow mirrors. It's wide, but manageable. It's much easier to manage than a 172" wheel base 4x4 dually!

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
I have them and I love them. Eliminates the blind spot.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I put a set on my 11' and it was so much better for visibility. Towing or not. Seeing as your ordering, I would defiantly get them, especially since they would be the power fold and telescoping!

·
Registered
523 Posts
I have the OEM towing mirrors as well. I really like the visibility of the concave mirror, it eliminates any concern of objects behind the driver and beside the truck. With these mirrors properly adjusted you can see the door handles, rear wheel what's in the lane immediately next to the side of the truck.

The power extension with flat spot mirror does as you would expect, no surprises, allow you to see down the side of a standard box trailer.

IMHO these mirrors are the standard of the industry when it comes to OEM mirrors.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I think you made the right decision. Let me know if you are able to get Power fold and Power telescope (Power Scope) mirrors. I have not been able to find any information on getting them on my truck. I have the manual fold/telescope on mine now.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have them and was not used to them at first, but now I can't imagine not having them. Super convenient for everyday driving and backing.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I love my dumbo ears oem MaxTow mirrors!

SPPD

·
Registered
35 Posts
That's my ONE regret with my truck - not thinking to order factory-installed tow mirrors.

Aftermarket options exist, but they don't (can't) offer the same capabilities as the factory-installed tow mirrors - even those ordered as aftermarket options directly from Ford (they don't power fold)...

If you're going to be towing on even a semi-frequent basis, strongly consider ordering the truck with them factory-installed... My next truck will definitely have them!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
393 Posts
I guess I'm the odd ball here. I frequently tow my '53, '56, and '93 Fords to shows & to the track. I don't have the tow mirrors (mine are still power fold), and don't need them. I can see everything just fine without them. And, I personally prefer the look of the truck without the tow mirrors. To each their own.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have them and the visibility is great and in parking lots the power fold is a must have, pickup trucks.com tested a truck with them and reported that you lose 1 mpg on the highway with the tow mirrors.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I have them and the visibility is great and in parking lots the power fold is a must have, pickup trucks.com tested a truck with them and reported that you lose 1 mpg on the highway with the tow mirrors.
Please post a picture of your mirrors and the contol for them.

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
I guess I'm the odd ball here. I frequently tow my '53, '56, and '93 Fords to shows & to the track. I don't have the tow mirrors (mine are still power fold), and don't need them. I can see everything just fine without them. And, I personally prefer the look of the truck without the tow mirrors. To each their own.
My other truck has small mirrors, which are adequate. My flatbed trailer is very wide and I have no problems with it. The max tow mirrors on my new truck just make it that much easier.

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
I find it hard to believe you lose a whole mpg with those mirrors. That's crazy!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Love mine, but they take a bit to get used to. I wish they were power fold mirrors though. They take a bit of wiggling to get into the garage, I have gotten used to not folding them in but the option of doing it powered would sure be nice.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Love mine, but they take a bit to get used to. I wish they were power fold mirrors though. They take a bit of wiggling to get into the garage, I have gotten used to not folding them in but the option of doing it powered would sure be nice.
I have 9 ft garage doors and I still fold my drivers side mirror in when I go into the garage and it stll just barely fits. Had to the same thing with my previous truck (F-350). I sure wish I could have power fold towing mirrors on my Ecco Boost.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Lilcrazyone- I'm jealous of that garage! I'm going to have to do some Tetris to get my wife's Edge and my truck in the garage. I definitely like the tow mirrors I have, I basically just use the lower as a blind spot mirror. I used to work at a rental place and towed skid steers/excavators with an F350 and the tow mirrors were a great help!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Changing top half to chrome

Has anyone changed the top half of the tow mirrors and installing them with the chrome. I have the Ford part numbers, the cost is reasonable, quoted $38ea from the parts dept. Cant find much info when I google.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts