F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What have you tried and what do you like the most so far??

Enough with the 1/4 time tunes, what about those who use the truck as a truck?

So far I have tried SSI, SCT, and livernois. Looking to try another some others.

Thanks

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
I'm not tuned but the general consensus seems to be that 5* tow tunes are the best

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have SSI T4 and 5 star. I tow 10-11k regularly and have towed 15k several times. 5 star gets slightly better fuel economy than the SSI tune. The SSI tune has slightly more power and downshifts less from 6th to 5th. The SSI tune is a little touchy on the throttle for my taste. I am waiting for the latest SSI tow tune.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Ssi is email tune. .

5 star has a shop

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
Is SSI T4 and 5 star the shop that did the tune? Can you shed some light on this?
I'm an ecoboost NOOB
SSI and 5* are two different tuners, but they both use SCT software and programmers. So you could buy the tuner and software and a towing tune from each and compare if you like. Or, keep researching and narrow it down to a single one.

Boost safe Boost hard eH

·
Registered
187 Posts
what other tow tunes have you guys tried?

·
Registered
315 Posts
I've had 5star and it was ok got 10 mpg regardless of what I pulled.
I have Lms now and like it way better that 5star also get 12-15mpg pulling same or heavier weights.

·
Registered
122 Posts
How interesting even towing bone stock no mods i got 12.5-13.5 towing 10k. Haven't really towed post tune I did go 5* to avoid the possibility of issues with ssi. Not worth my time to deal with those shenanigans.

Reactions: Ecofx86

·
Registered
27 Posts
getting 15mpg while towing seems like BS to me. Unless your towing down hill. But maybe its just me. I don't have a tune on my truck but hard to see a tune take towing mpg from 8-10 to 15. Especially towing 10k lbs. I'm towing 7200 and get 8-9 mpg.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
Yeah I find it hard to believe that kind of mileage too

Certified Internet Warrior. I once ctrl alt del'd a man to death.

·
Registered
27 Posts
On a different note, anyone know if tuning voids the Ford warranty on the motor?

·
Registered
27 Posts
and we really think they wont be bale to tell it was tuned?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Depends how hard they look, and if you remembered to put it back to stock! They won't be able to tell in the computer, supposedly the tranny has a memory, could be an urban myth :p but they would never check that anyway, I'd say you'd be safe, my dealership has no clue.... Or looks the other way, either way I got warranty and my service manager seems to have zero clue

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Answering your question though, if they can prove the tune is what damaged it, they need to prove it, it would void warranty yes

·
Registered
91 Posts
It looks like Livernois has their own brand of tuner it is a MyCalibr8or unit and 5 star is a SCT unit. I had a SCT tuner on my '05 6.0 diesel for a while and it screamed till the 6.0no needed engine work. I loved the tuner though the 6.0 Ford edition was a bad design. I just might get a tuner for the Ecoboost if I keep this truck. Thinking about seriously looking at the '15s.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I run the latest SSI tow tune, rarely tow more than 5K lbs. Hardly ever shifts out of 6th gear, just doesn't need to. On a no wind day I'll get about 14-14.5 on mileage. A hard wind(35 mph) will bring that down to 11.5-12 mpg.

·
Registered
122 Posts
getting 15mpg while towing seems like BS to me. Unless your towing down hill. But maybe its just me. I don't have a tune on my truck but hard to see a tune take towing mpg from 8-10 to 15. Especially towing 10k lbs. I'm towing 7200 and get 8-9 mpg.
Stop driving over 60mph and see how it does mpg wise.

Reactions: brucesears
1 - 20 of 23 Posts