F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the proud owner of a 2012 F150 Platinum 3.5L Ecoboost and would like to get into camping. My wife is in "love" with the 2017 Forest River Vibe 288RLS, which weighs 7119# dry and is a length of 33'9". According to the manual my truck has a max towing capacity of 9600# and a max payload of 1087#.

Questions:
1) I anticipate the wet trailer weight to be between 8600-9100#. Does my truck have the sufficient towing capacity to haul this trailer safely?
2) Will I have stability issues with a 33'9" trailer?
3) Do I need to be concerned with going over my payload slightly? Payload math: 7200#(GVWR) - 6285#(weight of truck from CAT scale) - 753#(trailer hitch weight) - 410#(Wife, Dog, and I) = -248#

Thank you so much for your help!

Kevin

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
You're quite low on your hitch weight. You need to add the weight of the WDH set up and propane etc to the tounge. That's one heck of a lot of trailer for a mini van payload truck.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
If those are the true weights, nope I wouldn't think of it. As Winchested stated, your tongue weight is less 9% of the trailer weight. You need to closer to 13%, and that will put you over your hitch's rated weight.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
697 Posts
Too much trailer. You tongue weight will soak up nearly all of your payload. With only 1,087 payload, your truck really can't tow anything once you have passengers, gear, etc in truck.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I dont know what ll these other guys are talking about. The oem ecoboost will pull that weight just fine. Just plan on it getting hot. Keep an eye on trans and coolant temps. Ecoboost has plenty of power and will pull 9600. Been there. Towed that. Damn little motors just get hot.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
The engine isn't the issue. . . .

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
I dont know what ll these other guys are talking about. The oem ecoboost will pull that weight just fine. Just plan on it getting hot. Keep an eye on trans and coolant temps. Ecoboost has plenty of power and will pull 9600. Been there. Towed that. Damn little motors just get hot.
Not only will he be over his hitch rating by a few hundred pounds to get 13% tounge weight he will be. 4-500 lbs over on his payload rating.

I don't know about you but safety of occupants and other motorists is a hell of a lot more important than whether or not the engine can handle it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
depends, how far will you be going with it?

if on flat ground and just a once a month trip 2 hour away, i would say yes just take it easy. I agree not so much the power as the stain on the truck in general. I have 26 foot with slide - jayco. 6200 empty. MY 5.3 chevy pulled it fine, just gutless. my 6.2 had no problem and plenty of power, have not hooked up to my 3.5 , but i dont anticipate any problem.

plan on a trip to Colorado or live in the mountains or plan on regular 4 to 8 hour trips..get a smaller trailer or a bigger truck. I am not a hardcore camper and personally I just dont want the stress of pulling around a 34 ft trailer. we do 3 to 4 day trips and the 26 ft with a giant slide and it works good for 5 to 6 people (3 to 4 days) ultimately the bathroom size and situation is what gets me. If i was going to go more I would have to have one with a larger bathroom or 2.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have the Vibe 268RKS which is 32' and just a little less weight than the model you want. I've been pulling it the last 3 years with equalizer 4way hitch and Tembrens. Truck handles great, been all over the midwest and up to Colorado, no issues. But....your extra length (wind & sway issues) and weight may be pushing it some. Have you looked at the Vibe 268RKS? We LOVE ours!

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
Payload is a problem, although I have the Max Tow Payload Pack on my 14`......but that's what air bags are for-lol
Welcome to the 8k TT Club.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts