F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all I need an opinion,

Im currently looking at doing some work at our farm. I will need to move a small bobcat to bury culvert sections to make a field more accessible by vehicle. I'm currently in the process of purchasing a flatbed trailer, this will be shared by me and a friend of mine. His dad has a 2014 250 so we probably will buy a trailer rated for more than I ever want to tow even with my truck. I assume that the trailer will be between 2000 and 3000 lbs empty.

I am planning on renting a "smaller skid steer" as I don't need anything very big to move the amount of dirt and gravel I need.

Sorry for the rambling post, long story short Im expecting a trailer weight of between 7000 and 8000 pounds.

I intend to install a OEM trailer break controller

My truck is a 2011 Screw, 4X4, with 3.55 gears, 145" wheel base. It has the factory tow package but not max tow or payload.

Im thinking about getting a basic weight distributing hitch and am perfectly happy toodling down the road at below the speed limit. I am heading about 50 miles to southern KS and back so hills aren't a big deal

ANYWAYS is this something I can safely do or is it a bad idea?

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I'd do it.. It's not like you are going to be doing this all the time on a regular basis. You can "adjust" the tongue weight by moving the Bobcat forward or back. Main thing is to make sure you have decent TW and let the WD do it's thing.

Good luck! Take a pic or two if you can! We love pics! :)

Mitch

Reactions: SENDIT

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just what I was hoping to hear, hopefully I can get this done over winter break in a few weeks and get some pictures for yall!

·
Registered
187 Posts
I tow a 11k John Deere compact track loader on a 21' gooseneck trailer with mine. As Mitch said I can put it on the trailer to get the pin weight that I want. A bumper pull will be more tricky, just don't rent a heavy one like mine.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OOh sorry its the 3.5 ecoboost

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Just what I was hoping to hear, hopefully I can get this done over winter break in a few weeks and get some pictures for yall!
One would assume it's an ecoboost.

Reactions: MAXXPAY

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
@SENDIT, you'll be fine. Regardless of your truck's options, it'll be rated to tow at least 9k.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replies, two more things. For someone that doesn't tow super heavy very often should I be ok with just a Curt Mfg WDH or do I need to look at a more expensive option? Im looking at installing an oem trailer brake controller myself, I know that Ill have to get it flashed by the dealer but will I have to install any fuses or anything like that? Thanks for the help all!

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Simple bar and chain WD hitch will be fine. I've been using one (EAZ-Lift) since 2002 towing my TT and it works just fine. It's a 1000/10,000 lb setup.

Can't speak to the OEM Brake Controller install.. I have one that came with the truck and it works great! :)

Mitch

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks @Mitchf150 Ill look into everything and report back when everything is done!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I tow a bobcat s185 on an open car trailer with my 14 Screw FX4 all the time. With factory rake I do not need a wdh. Not saying it won't be better, but if you are not going crazy distances or towing all the time you will be fine. Best of luck!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Also just a tip, make sure your tires are inflated to max(or close to it) psi to reduce sidewall flex and help prevent trailer sway.

·
Registered
6,398 Posts
Thanks for all the replies, two more things. For someone that doesn't tow super heavy very often should I be ok with just a Curt Mfg WDH or do I need to look at a more expensive option? Im looking at installing an oem trailer brake controller myself, I know that Ill have to get it flashed by the dealer but will I have to install any fuses or anything like that? Thanks for the help all!
As far as I know the brake controller should be plug-n-play if you already have the 7 pin wiring harness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@nomad15 what tires are you running, I'm currently trying to kill my stockers so I can upgrade will they suffice? I don't mind a little squirrelieness but don't want it to be excessive.
@mass-hole I have the 7 pin harness so should I be good to go?

·
Registered
13 Posts
@nomad15 what tires are you running, I'm currently trying to kill my stockers so I can upgrade will they suffice? I don't mind a little squirrelieness but don't want it to be excessive.
I have Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx's at 305/55/20. They are rated at 3200 #'s a tire for that size. There are a bunch of good options in street, AT, or MT treads. Just know that changing sizes typically changes weight ratings as well, and they can go up and down with no correlation on larger or smaller tires for the most part.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Just get forscan and do it that way yourself.. Plus you can do a bajillion other neat things.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
@mass-hole I have the 7 pin harness so should I be good to go?
I’d also look into nitto’s. Their tire game is pretty superb with their recent releases. I haven’t ran those coopers that nomad’s using, but I’ve ran their other tires in the past. They are an ok tire, but I’m very much more impressed with every set of nittos ive had the past three trucks.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the info @nomad15 I'll have to do some shopping around and see what looks good!
@ptown I've heard of forscan but honestly don't quite understand how it works. Where do you get it and what does it cost?? I'll also have a look at the nittos and see what I like!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts