F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey buddy, i tow my boat (3000lbs. )somewhere @ 25000 miles a year. i am ready to get rid of my hemi which if im lucky gets 11.5 mpg on the hw at 60 mph and 10.5 at 65. i am really interested in the eco boost and am curious if will give me a little better milage. 1 or 2 miles pg would be awesome. if anyone can answer i would appreciate it.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
hey buddy, i tow my boat (3000lbs. )somewhere @ 25000 miles a year. i am ready to get rid of my hemi which if im lucky gets 11.5 mpg on the hw at 60 mph and 10.5 at 65. i am really interested in the eco boost and am curious if will give me a little better milage. 1 or 2 miles pg would be awesome. if anyone can answer i would appreciate it.
I'm sure Dan will be able to answer better then me but I can pretty much guarantee your gas mileage will be better :)

·
Registered
860 Posts
Welcome to the site Capt!

You might get a little better towing with the ecoboost motor, but probably not all that much. I haven't towed my boat with it, so I'm not 100% positive but I can barely manage to get 9-10mpg towing a 6500lb Toy Hauler.

What kind mpg's do you get normally driving 60-65mph?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Pulled a Polaris Ranger, Yamaha Grizzly and a lot of deer lease gear (est. 2800lbs total) 120miles this weekend through semi-hills at 60-70 mph and averaged 13.4mpg.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2011 F-150 EB crew cab xlt with 3.31 rear end. (9000lb towing). Pull my boat up north twice a summer 300 miles one way average 13.5-14mpg with cruise set at 72mph. Boat with trailer weighs in 5600lbs. Hope this helps. 78,000 miles on my ecoboost without a hiccup!

·
Registered
589 Posts
Welcome CPT!!!'
You should see a slight gain in overall MPG towing and a big gain when unloaded. The major trade up you will notice and I have seen is the grunt the EcoBoost will give you when pulling the load off the line and roll on speed compared to the Hemi. The Big Hemi is not a dog by any means but the EcoBoost broad TQ is tough to match unless your rolling in a big diesel.
The toughest decision you will have when it comes to the EcoBoost is not the motor but what gear ratio you want to meet your towing and daily driving needs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
AK-KingBoost - that seems like a great point. Almost all the '03 EBs that I have looked at with the MAX tow pkg are the 3.73 rear gears. I know they are probably the best for towing but will sacrafice some on daily driving.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is my first F150 in years got the 2012 Ecoboost. Only had 1300 miles on it when I towed my Jay Feather to San Antonio it's 4,000 lbs round trip pretty close to 1,000 miles. It averaged 10.2 mpg driving 60-65 mph. Mine has a 3.55 rear end. I have to admit that I was expecting better, the Tacoma that I traded had a 4.0 L V6 with 3.73 rear end and it would pull the same load, same speed and get 9.3 mpg. The Ecoboost does have way more power, and is by far much more comfortable!!!!!

·
Registered
589 Posts
Lead foot- it will get better as the miles roll on... The motor is built tight (over built really) but it takes a few grand on the miles to really break in the EB ( more than most gas motors) and then MPG will go up both loaded n unloaded. Keep us posted on the travels and glad you enjoy the power :)

·
Registered
589 Posts
AK-KingBoost - that seems like a great point. Almost all the '03 EBs that I have looked at with the MAX tow pkg are the 3.73 rear gears. I know they are probably the best for towing but will sacrafice some on daily driving.
Crazy legs- the only way to tow over 11k was to opt for the max tow pkg but you get the sweet elect locking diff and 3.73 which paired with the 6sp tranny (6th gear @ 70mph= 1900rpm) isn't too bad of a daily driver (especially at stop lights lol) but for sure makes towing heavy loads up, down and thru the passes where I live easier. But those with 3.55 gears tend to post better mpg results unloaded.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If the motor is built so tight does that make a diff in when/how/why/what/etc you drop the breakin oil they typically use ??? Ususally within 500-1000 I usually drop the oil, goto Mobil 1 synthetic, run 300-500, drop the Mobil 1, and then go every 5K from there. Are the F150 still running 5-20. Hope so - I still have about 5-6 gallons.

I was also wondering if anyone uses the AMSOIL. I have heard mostly good things about it and I know they make many products. I need to talk to the service dept 1st but would also like to consider that for the tranny and rear. Maybe even the transfer case. I want to make this one last. But then I also remember my Dad and Uncles stating, not to fix something that was not broke.

Will let you know what I find out.

·
Registered
589 Posts
The EcoBoost runs 5w-30 instead of 5w-20. As for 5 Ws on dropping the oil to synthetic I guess it's a matter of preference and what you do and how you drive the truck. I did the first oil change at 5k (which is also the same mileage I started towing heavy loads) but I waited until I had 10k on the speedometer before making the switch to full synthetic (master mech recommended it at dealership, good friend) which allowed the motor parts to really settle and break in. Which once I did make the switch mpg went up and stayed up and I haven't had any issues with the motor. I use royal purple because I have had great luck with it in the extreme cold up here. Have heard others speak highly of Amsoil in other motors.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well I guess that is good and bad. I will have to see if I can swap out the the 5-20 I have for 5-30. The good is my wifes '12 Chevy Eq uses 5-30. I love it when your yin matched up to your yang :eek:. Thks for the info on the break in. I will use that formula unless the "master mech" at this dealer says otherwise. Sounds like a very good overall plan. As for th purple I heard good things there but here in PA we do not have the extended cold wether extremes. thks again. CL

·
Registered
152 Posts
The EcoBoost runs 5w-30 instead of 5w-20. As for 5 Ws on dropping the oil to synthetic I guess it's a matter of preference and what you do and how you drive the truck. I did the first oil change at 5k (which is also the same mileage I started towing heavy loads) but I waited until I had 10k on the speedometer before making the switch to full synthetic (master mech recommended it at dealership, good friend) which allowed the motor parts to really settle and break in. Which once I did make the switch mpg went up and stayed up and I haven't had any issues with the motor. I use royal purple because I have had great luck with it in the extreme cold up here. Have heard others speak highly of Amsoil in other motors.
Hey Ak, I got this quote thing figured out.lol. So royal purple hey,I've heard of this to be good stuff. I have close to the same weather as you so I'm thinking of doing the change out next time. I am a crane operator up here in northern alberta and have some great Mechanics up here to draw knowledge from. They were telling me not to be in a hurry to switch to the full synthetics. There theory is once you do the motor (valves,rings etc..) won't seat anymore. So I have waited. My next change is due at 40,000kms(25,000miles) I'm changing then. Whats the $$$ of the "purple"? It's wierd, everyone has thier own opinion on this and I don't know who, If anybody is rite or wrong. Just telling you what I've been told. I know my sportsman 800 quad comes with full synthetic straight from the factory. Again, who knows?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
9 Participants
fx4 4fun
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing