F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard that some guys buy a new ecoboost, drive home, and hook it up to a 8000 lb trailer and happily go motoring down the road for 800 miles. Is this something that is ok? How many miles would you put on the truck before towing with it?

·
Registered
394 Posts
I personally would wait at least 500 miles. I currently have 630 miles on my Ecoboost, and will be towing my '56 Ford 750 miles next week.

·
Registered
47 Posts
+1 on the 500 miles

·
Registered
216 Posts
Depends on what you are towing. A small boat or utility trailer, a few hundred miles but 10000 lbs I would wait the 1000 miles. The break in is more for the drive line and brakes than it is the engine itself.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I waited the prescribed 1k before towing. I also got rid of the original oil before towing. I probably didn't need to, but it made me feel better.

SPPD

·
Registered
311 Posts
Ditto on waiting the 1000 miles. I'll never worry that I should have waited to tow and I also know I gave the piston rings the best chance to seat properly.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can dig it. The reason I ask is my son in law wanted to borrow the truck to tow his derby car. I think I can just say no!:confused: Thanks for the response guys.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts