F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, love my new truck and everything about it but the mirrors. Seems like I can never see what I want to when I need to. I have the reverse camera option with the back up sensor but I can't really bring myself to trust it completely.

I did ride in a Silverado with towing mirrors and it seemed to be a lot easier to back into spaces with all the extra rearward vision.

My question is this...

1. Do any of you who have the tow mirrors find it cumbersome in garages or tight car washes?
2. Any reason to spend the $650.00 (before tax and delivery) on the oem mirrors?
3. Anyone tried to use an aftermarket version like this Fit System 61185-86F Ford F-150 Driver/Passenger Side Heated Power Extendable Towing Mirror with Turn Signal and Puddle Lamp - Pair:Amazon:Automotive

Any opinions would be very appreciated...

·
Registered
943 Posts
Hey guys, love my new truck and everything about it but the mirrors. Seems like I can never see what I want to when I need to. I have the reverse camera option with the back up sensor but I can't really bring myself to trust it completely.

I did ride in a Silverado with towing mirrors and it seemed to be a lot easier to back into spaces with all the extra rearward vision.

My question is this...

1. Do any of you who have the tow mirrors find it cumbersome in garages or tight car washes?
2. Any reason to spend the $650.00 (before tax and delivery) on the oem mirrors?
3. Anyone tried to use an aftermarket version like this Fit System 61185-86F Ford F-150 Driver/Passenger Side Heated Power Extendable Towing Mirror with Turn Signal and Puddle Lamp - Pair:Amazon:Automotive

Any opinions would be very appreciated...
Too bad you didn't get the towing mirrors when you bought your truck. Yes, they are a pain when going in and out of the garage. I have to fold my drivers side in to get in my barage and I have 9 foot doors. You must make sure that they are folded in when going through a car wash but, I would do that with any mirror that is capable of folding. I wish I clould ahve got the power fold power extend mirrors on my "Boostie".

·
Registered
53 Posts
I love my towing mirrors. Mine didn't come on the truck either, but after towing my travel trailer the first time i knew that the stock "paddle" mirrors wouldn't work. I bought my mirrors from Ford. I have an XLT so i had power mirrors factory, but not power telescoping or folding. The mirrors i bought from ford look identical to the ones that you found on Amazon. The puddle lights work and so does the power(upper mirror only, lower is manual). I absolutely love them and don't know how i could do with out them.

Does your FX4 have just power mirrors, or power telescoping/folding as well?

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I love my towing mirrors. Mine didn't come on the truck either, but after towing my travel trailer the first time i knew that the stock "paddle" mirrors wouldn't work. I bought my mirrors from Ford. I have an XLT so i had power mirrors factory, but not power telescoping or folding. The mirrors i bought from ford look identical to the ones that you found on Amazon. The puddle lights work and so does the power(upper mirror only, lower is manual). I absolutely love them and don't know how i could do with out them.

Does your FX4 have just power mirrors, or power telescoping/folding as well?
My truck came with power adjust, power folding.

So you bought the oem mirrors? Do you mind sharing what you paid the stealership to order/install?

·
Registered
53 Posts
If you have power folding you may have to pay more. I didn't have power folding. I'm a tech at a small shop(family run) and have a good relationship with our commercial parts guy at Ford. I got both mirrors for around $340. Keep in mind i spend anywhere from 1,000-5,000 a month getting OEM parts for customers cars through him. I've talked to guys who bought the genuine Ford mirrors online for around $375 shipped, though.

I installed them myself. These door panels are pretty easy to remove and it's very straight forward. You can probably do a search for a how-to video. Take your time and you shouldnt have a problem.

Those mirrors on Amazon look identical to the ones i bought. They may be worth trying

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've had my fair share of door panels off and these do look pretty easy. Thanks for the reply. I think I'll wait for my bank account to stabilize and try the amazon mirrors.

I'll make sure to post a thread about them....

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
How do you adjust your mirrors?

I adjust mine wide. I can only see the very edge of the truck when sitting plain in my seat. It kind of removes the blind spots and if I need to see the side of the truck all I have to do is lean forward a little. I would very much appreciate being able to have the trailer tow mirrors right now...I agree that they provide a lot more viewing space.

If I weren't holding out for the price tag on the '13 Trailer Tow mirrors I would jump at the chance to purchase the ones you have listed in #3. I may eventually go for them anyway...

Nice choice of color, BTW!

·
Registered
943 Posts
DRock - Are saying that you were able to buy and install trailer towing mirrors that are power fold and power telescope?

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How do you adjust your mirrors?

I adjust mine wide. I can only see the very edge of the truck when sitting plain in my seat. It kind of removes the blind spots and if I need to see the side of the truck all I have to do is lean forward a little. I would very much appreciate being able to have the trailer tow mirrors right now...I agree that they provide a lot more viewing space.

If I weren't holding out for the price tag on the '13 Trailer Tow mirrors I would jump at the chance to purchase the ones you have listed in #3. I may eventually go for them anyway...

Nice choice of color, BTW!
Thanks! Been eyeing your truck since before I joined!

There's a few options on Amazon that say they are oem mirrors for around $200 per side.

·
Registered
53 Posts
DRock - Are saying that you were able to buy and install trailer towing mirrors that are power fold and power telescope?
Sorry for the misunderstanding, but no. I think you'd have to have the power telescoping/folding from the factory to be able to utilize both of those features. What i am not sure about is whether or not you can simply install the switch for power telescoping/folding into your current door panel to make those options work. That may be something to look into if the necessary wiring is already there(again, not sure). I have heard, though, that the power adjust/telescoping/folding mirrors are substantially more expensive than the ones that i bought.

My mirrors are just power adjust and manual folding/telescoping.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Thanks!

The Household 6 doesn't appreciate me spending money on it. I still spend plenty on her, but have to be careful when and what I spend on the truck. There is a list that I am slowly checking off (the Topper was non-negotiable). Some of the big things are going to have to wait some time...

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Thanks!

The Household 6 doesn't appreciate me spending money on it. I still spend plenty on her, but have to be careful when and what I spend on the truck. There is a list that I am slowly checking off (the Topper was non-negotiable). Some of the big things are going to have to wait some time...
I couldn't take it anymore....had to Google your phrase "household 6" lol.

Pretty awesome backstory on it. :D

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I couldn't take it anymore....had to Google your phrase "household 6" lol.

Pretty awesome backstory on it. :D

So does that mean I can abbreviate it now as HH6? Lol. Some of those responses are hilarious. Better than saying something like 'Ball and Chain' because she doesn't fit that category. She stands beside me, not behind me.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
So does that mean I can abbreviate it now as HH6? Lol. Some of those responses are hilarious. Better than saying something like 'Ball and Chain' because she doesn't fit that category. She stands beside me, not behind me.
Go right ahead. :cool:

·
Registered
943 Posts
Sorry for the misunderstanding, but no. I think you'd have to have the power telescoping/folding from the factory to be able to utilize both of those features. What i am not sure about is whether or not you can simply install the switch for power telescoping/folding into your current door panel to make those options work. That may be something to look into if the necessary wiring is already there(again, not sure). I have heard, though, that the power adjust/telescoping/folding mirrors are substantially more expensive than the ones that i bought.

My mirrors are just power adjust and manual folding/telescoping.
I have the factory trailer mirrors that are the same as yours. I sure wish I could find some way to have the "power scope mirrors" that are avilable on Super Duty trucks. I probably wouldn't want to spend the money for them. I'm guessing that they would be very costly.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Mine came with the power fold/extend trailer mirrors, love them. Especially the large blind spot mirror on the bottom. I have 10' wide garage doors and only have a few inches clearance on each side, but do not have to fold them to get into the garage.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Mine came with the power fold/extend trailer mirrors, love them. Especially the large blind spot mirror on the bottom. I have 10' wide garage doors and only have a few inches clearance on each side, but do not have to fold them to get into the garage.
I'm guessing that the power fold/power extend mirrors are available on a platinum but not on XLT. I sure wish I knew for sure.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts