F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a longtime truck owner and I always wonder why do you folks seem it okay to pull a trailer or 5th wheel exceeding the truck limits legally? Almost all 5th wheels unless it's a max tow with a heavy duty payload package is over weight. Capable? Yes, legally over weight ? Yes. It's like lying on you IRS tax forms at the end of the year. Most get away with it but some get screwed royalty.
So why take the chance and risk your families life and other on the road?

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
I'm a longtime truck owner and I always wonder why do you folks seem it okay to pull a trailer or 5th wheel exceeding the truck limits legally? Almost all 5th wheels unless it's a max tow with a heavy duty payload package is over weight. Capable? Yes, legally over weight ? Yes. It's like lying on you IRS tax forms at the end of the year. Most get away with it but some get screwed royalty.
So why take the chance and risk your families life and other on the road?
Because of safety factors. Every item that is rated for safety, legal or insurance reasons is rated lower than true max, because most people will walk the ragged edge. Now that everyone knows that some items have a safety factor of five, they think they can exceed by that much and still be safe....

Note: I never said it was the smart thing to do. ;)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
There are lots of fifth wheels out there that are legal to pull.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes there is a handful that fall within the limits. But once you load up the family, 1 week of supplies and water then the empty weight rises drastically and your over the legal limit or payload.

·
Registered
91 Posts
This guy is just trolling, if I had to place a bet I'd say he's a weight police guy from several other f150 forums.

There are plenty of options trailer wise out there to be legally within limits. That goes along with some trailers you can be under your GCWR but over on your GVWR. In the end it's common sense.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I always trailer within the legal limits. I was just curious why you think you have the RIGHT to ignore the law and put mine, yours and even your kids or grand kids lives at risk? I drive professionally and I know if I was hit by a person over weight, I would sue the hell out of them and press every criminal charge I could upon them for acting knowingly stupid.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Look at you go there cowboy!

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
I always trailer within the legal limits. I was just curious why you think you have the RIGHT to ignore the law and put mine, yours and even your kids or grand kids lives at risk? I drive professionally and I know if I was hit by a person over weight, I would sue the hell out of them and press every criminal charge I could upon them for acting knowingly stupid.
Thank you captain obvious. I'm sure that you would sue for that. What about if someone was texting while driving? Drinking and driving? What about if they were overloaded, drinking, and texting?

Don't come in here saying that people think they have the right to do something, when if you go into the thread specifically dealing with 5th wheel/travel trailer towing you will see that we do things the legal way.

There are lots of people with 3/4 tons that go overweight too, but I don't go on other forums to bash the owners.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Texting and driving is not a felony in any of the 17 states I drive in. But drinking and driving is! Me and many other truckers do call 911 and report possible DUI and even not me but I guy I know does report grossly over weight vehicles he see. Cell phone cameras and 911 is the truckers best instruments in keeping the roads safe.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
I never knew driving overweight was a felony.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
This thread is closed!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.