F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm truck shopping for 2018 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost with a Max Tow, but they seem hard to find and sell quickly for the price/miles I'm looking at. Travel Trailer was purchased and this is my first TT. Have towed pop-up before, and moving to next level. It will be 7000 Lb fully loaded with 650 lb tongue wt. There are some F-150's that look like they will work with options below: 7000# GVWR, trailer tow package,36 gal fuel tank,etc.

The posts on this site have been outstanding, but I'm not 100% sure what I'd be missing in the suspension with the options above vs Max Tow. I understand the bumper issue and with a 7000 lb trailer this seems ok. It's me, small wife, dogs and gear in the truck for pulls over mtn passes of 10K, 11.3K, 11.9K to Colorado's western slope and beyond.

Appreciate reading all the feedback and posts, so I have this one basic question: Will the spec's above do the job, or do I hold out for a Max Tow?

Seems like switching to 3.73 gears could be done if I decide the 3.55's are not enough

(P.S. I understand that next on my list are proper tires, shocks, sway bar, air bags, mirrors, etc.)

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I'd figure on more tongue weight when it's loaded to #7000.. My #7000 GVWR TT has a dry tongue weight of #700.. I know I've got it loaded up pretty good, as I pack heavy and know it. I've not crossed any scales, but don't really feel I need to because I figure I'm around #1000 on tongue weight.

My era truck has the MaxTow, but it's a 13, so it's the heavy one... #7700 GVWR on the truck. #1920 on the payload sticker, so figure I'm good.

Tows great and I do have to monitor my temps, which i do with a ODBII adapter and phone app.

The new trucks are some #500 lighter on average, but that can work against you too... Having a lighter vehicle to tow a heavier trailer works, but you gotta make sure you get it setup right so it tows well.

No question on power.. That's not the issue with any era Eco.. It can be payload and cooling that come into play.

Good luck! Mitch

Reactions: Mr B

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks MitchF150, you've had some great posts and it's much appreciated. Curious how it will all compare with 2013 vs 2018 when I finally have my own truck to talk about.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
You wont need 3.73's with the 10 speed unless you have huge tires. Honestly, I am not sure that 3.73's make all that much of a difference on the old 6 speed trucks.

And Max-tow trucks also came with 3.55's on the 2015+ trucks. They only got 3.73's prior to 2015. So basically the truck you took a window shot of is 95% the way to max-tow and I think the only thing you might be missing is the higher capacity hitch receiver and a stiffer front sway bar. It's not clear to me if the non-max tow trucks get a smaller radiator.

Actually, now that I think about it, 2018+ Max-Tow trucks do come with a higher rear axle weight rating. They should be 4050 lbs vs 3850 lbs for a non-max tow truck.

Reactions: snakebitten
1 - 4 of 4 Posts