F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I know, another forum about trailer towing. However, I want to limit the responses on this one. I have posted about this before, and am still battling it. I have tried all the normal fixes. I have been to multiple trailer dealers. I have upgraded tires. I have tried multiple WD hitches. I am done. Please do not make me leave being a "Ford guy".

For this post, I am only looking for input from a small group. 15-17 F150 owners towing TT over 26' long.

My Setup, along with all the changes I have made to try to fix trailer sway issue:
2015 Screw 4X4 XLT
2010 Dutchen Sport 29', typically running 6500# loaded
Currently trying a Blue Ox 1000# WD, changed from a Reese round bar with dual cam sway control
Discoverer AT/3's load range E - Changed tires to fix sway, no change
Hellwig rear sway bar - added to fix sway, no change

On my last camping trip, my wife told me she is done. I have to buy a new truck. As soon as we hit 60+ mph on highway,trailer is all over behind us. By looking above, you can see I have tried multiple things to no avail. I towed this same camper with original setup with 2 other F150's, no problems. I have towed this camper with another 15 F150, and had same issue. At last campground, I rode around and talked to three other people with 15 or newer F150's towing longer campers, and 2 of them are awaitig my Blue Ox trial because they have the same issues.

It is not a weight issue. I will post my last scale weights below. It is somethng that changed with the aluminum bodies. It does not get to crazy scary until you try to run the highway at 60+ MPH.

So far, Blue Ox not much better. Talked to Blue Ox rep, he says turn off Ford Sway Control. Very skeptical this will resolve anything, but going to try on our next trip down the highway which is next weekend.

I am so beaten down over this. It is frustrating. When I read other posts, people want to supply input. I have been towing campers for over 10 years, and unless you have done it with an alumnum body F150, you cannot respect what we are experiencing.

So, if you are in that small group, please post. Do you have the same issue, and has anyone found a solution. I do not want to have to switch to Chevy or Dodge just to tow a 6000# camper, my GM friends will never let me live it down. I do want to feel safe behind the wheel.

Last Scale Weights (Industrial Platform Truck Scale, certified)

Camper loaded except food and some clothes

Truck Only 5600
Front 3120
Rear 2480

Truck and Camper, Reese Setup, 750# bars
Truck Front Axle 2800
Truck only, camper connected 6000
Truck and Camper 11520
Camper only 5560

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I am going to a scale this morning with the Blue Ox 1000# system to see how much more weight I can get distributed to front axle of truck. I will post weights and wheel well measurements afterwards.

Anyone tried to disable trailer sway with newer trucks? Very skeptical, have had it kick in once. It gives you a warning on dash when it happens, but trailer has to be out of shape pretty bad. Not sure if it is actively working all the time though, or only when things get bad.

·
Registered
53 Posts
If I read your weights right, truck is 5600 and truck only with camper connected 6000? That would mean only 400 lbs tongue weight which on a 5600 lb trailer would be big trouble. The front is way to light if those weights are correct.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Okay, I'll toss in my two cents here.

Background: I have been towing my travel trailer (30 ft. long and 6200 to 6700 pounds, depending on how it's loaded) with my 2015 f150 2.7EB for almost two years and several thousand miles using a Reese WD hitch and dual cam sway control. The truck is stock, with the factory 245/70R17 XL tires. Over the past 35+ years, I've towed many travel trailers thousands of miles using several tow vehicles and various brands of WD hitches...I don't claim to be an expert, so take my opinion for what it's worth.

Opinion: My 2015 f150 doesn't seem to be as stable when compared to previous tow vehicles I've had...most probably due to the lighter weight of the aluminum body and the softer suspension. That being said, it becomes much more important to have a precisely adjusted WD hitch and correct tongue weight. Based on what you posted, it's my opinion that your tongue weight might be too light...it's hard to tell since you did not give the tongue weight. The WD hitch needs to be adjusted to shift more weight to the front axle bringing it to 100 percent FALR. Many people change to D or E rated tires to try to help...IMO, this doesn't "fix" a sway problem, it just masks it.

It's my opinion, perhaps not yours. I have also installed and adjusted scores of WD hitches. PM me if you think I can help.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
From the weights you posted, yes it is.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Another factor would be how the trailer is loaded. IIRC there should always be 60% weight before the axles and 40% behind. Which after I typed it means not enough tongue weight in lemans terms. Lol. I have had a trailer or ten loaded too far back and experienced the sway. Moved the weight up to the correct position and gone. 50 mph turned to 90.

Please don't b!tch about the speed. I'm well aware it's faster than most trailer tires are rated for. When you need to pass, you pass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Another factor would be how the trailer is loaded. IIRC there should always be 60% weight before the axles and 40% behind. Which after I typed it means not enough tongue weight in lemans terms. Lol. I have had a trailer or ten loaded too far back and experienced the sway. Moved the weight up to the correct position and gone. 50 mph turned to 90.

Please don't b!tch about the speed. I'm well aware it's faster than most trailer tires are rated for. When you need to pass, you pass.

Yup, it is this simple.
The only question is if the lighter truck makes this more possible. Either way, the tongue weight posted is too light for that trailer.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have the same hitch and really like it. As others have said verify your tongue weight. On a 6000lb trailer you want a minimum of 10% of the gross trailer weight on the tongue and preferably closer to 15% which means minimum 600lbs to 900lbs tongue weight. Check this out at the scales and make sure you are in range.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I've got around #650 tongue weight on a #5000 GVWR TT and it tows like a dream... :)

Just a standard EAZ-Lift WD system and it tows fine.

#400 tongue weight on a #6000 trailer is going to act just like the video above..

Do you have anything hanging off the rear bumper of the trailer? Like a bike rack or something else?

Where is your fresh water tank in relation to the trailer axles?

Good luck!

Mitch

·
Registered
580 Posts
i have a bone stock '17 screw 6.5 4x4 3.5eb pulling a 28' 7200 lb dry camper with a cheap harbor freight WDH and friction sway bar and even in 20 mph+ crosswinds doing 60-65 i had very little sway, just got pushed around a lot. Coming home with no cross wind was a breeze. My camper is tail heavy (notice the set back axles) due to it having a slide come out the back, but it still has 900lb-1k of tongue weight.

If you really have only 400lb of tongue weight then you are probably only putting 275-300 of that on the back axle, and that is you issue. throw a few hundred lb of sand or blocks in the back and i bet it will tow a lot better. If it does you will have to figure out why the trailer is so tail heavy.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Add tongue weight by repacking the trailer as said. Then make sure your tires are good and aired up properly on both trailer and truck.

·
Registered
187 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had the same issue with my 16 pulling a 33’ trailer. About 63mph was my max or there would be sway with any speed higher. I went from harbor freight round bar WDH to the BlueOx swaypro I haven’t had any issues with sway & I’ve had her up to 75mph. I have my tongue weight at about 14%

Like others have said, I believe your tongue weight is your issue. You need more weight up front.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK, I have the data attached. It is not a tongue weight issue. I have about 640# of tongue weight on a 6000# trailer. My post before was the way I did the test with the WD attached. The results shown below show two different things, weights at platform truck scale with the Blue Ox and measurements to the wheel wells. Despite getting more weight distributed to front end with 11 links, still very unstable.

Notes about numbers: Measurements done on my dead end street, so crown of road was small factor. Truck scale had slight slope on approach, so again, caused a slight variation. Overall, shows that I should be in good shape.

Capture.PNG

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have tried adding weight. As you see from my later post, I already have 600+ tongue weight on 6000# trailer, but on our way back from Florida last year I tried just that. We stopped at Home Depot in GA and I purchased 500# of mulch. No improvement. Wondering if there was something changed between 15's and 17's with rear suspension?

Nice setup!

i have a bone stock '17 screw 6.5 4x4 3.5eb pulling a 28' 7200 lb dry camper with a cheap harbor freight WDH and friction sway bar and even in 20 mph+ crosswinds doing 60-65 i had very little sway, just got pushed around a lot. Coming home with no cross wind was a breeze. My camper is tail heavy (notice the set back axles) due to it having a slide come out the back, but it still has 900lb-1k of tongue weight.

If you really have only 400lb of tongue weight then you are probably only putting 275-300 of that on the back axle, and that is you issue. throw a few hundred lb of sand or blocks in the back and i bet it will tow a lot better. If it does you will have to figure out why the trailer is so tail heavy.

·
Registered
273 Posts
OK, I have the data attached. It is not a tongue weight issue. I have about 640# of tongue weight on a 6000# trailer. My post before was the way I did the test with the WD attached. The results shown below show two different things, weights at platform truck scale with the Blue Ox and measurements to the wheel wells. Despite getting more weight distributed to front end with 11 links, still very unstable.

Notes about numbers: Measurements done on my dead end street, so crown of road was small factor. Truck scale had slight slope on approach, so again, caused a slight variation. Overall, shows that I should be in good shape.

View attachment 105753
The "11 links" setup should provide a stable towing experience. There might be other factors causing your towing problems. Is your truck alignment correct. Is the hitch angle correct? Incorrect trailer axle alignment can cause sway that increases with speed. Is your problem sway, or is it yaw torque when there is a side wind? I've seen these factors causing sway/yaw problems in a hitch setup that otherwise transferred the hitch weight correctly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The "11 links" setup should provide a stable towing experience. There might be other factors causing your towing problems. Is your truck alignment correct. Is the hitch angle correct? Incorrect trailer axle alignment can cause sway that increases with speed. Is your problem sway, or is it yaw torque when there is a side wind? I've seen these factors causing sway/yaw problems in a hitch setup that otherwise transferred the hitch weight correctly.
Agree. Here are my responses.

Truck Alignment - have not had checked. Truck was new from dealer when issue started. Agree, could have been a factory issue, but also towed trailer with same hitch with another 2015 F150, same exact issues. I could have alignment checked, but at this point trying to stop the bleeding of money.

Hitch Angle - On the Reese setup, was correct. Checked at two separate camper dealers. The BlueOx does not have head angle adjustment. However, truck and camper sitting level when using the 11 link setup.

Camper alignment - Not checked. Again, looking to stop the bleeding. Towed camper with a friends Chevy 1500 and my hitch, no issues.

I hate to say it. It is the truck. I wish I could get someone at Ford to respond to me and at least tell me what they changed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Final note, now moving on. I am now in the market for an F250. I ran 90 miles this weekend with the Blue Ox. 10 links made no difference, and tried with and without Sway Control active on truck. 11 links felt the best it has felt since the issue started, but still not "comfortable". I appreciate all the suggestions and feedback from everyone, but after 14 months, countless hours, and thousands of dollars, it is time to call a spade a spade. The 2015 F150 crew 4X4 is not meant for towing. Kills me to say that. I love my truck otherwise, but I am sick of loading up the family to go camping and not being able to go down the road without fear.

1 - 20 of 152 Posts