F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2013 F-150 XLT 4x4 w/Max Tow. It has Goodyear SR-A tires on it that are rated to pull 2,600 lbs each.

The camper that I am picking up this weekend is a 2013 Palomino Solaire 317BHSK Eclipse which tops out at around 86xx full and 35' long.

I have a GVWR of 7650 lbs and a payload of 1800 lbs. On the door sticker it says that these Goodyear 275/65R18 T114 tires are ok to use with that load.

I am looking at Michelin LTX M/S 2 (LT275/65R18E1 123R W) based on my Uncle suggesting, "it is silly to pull that camper with passenger tires".

I would like to hear everyone's thoughts on investing in light truck tires
1. Is the Goodyear overkill?
2. If you were in my position, would you buy the LT tires and sell the almost new Goodyears? It will cost me about $600 out of pocket.

I am trying to determine if this 'upgrade' makes for safer pulling.

Thanks!

·
Registered
859 Posts
I've heard many good things about those Michelin LTX tires. In fact my father in law is just about to put a set on his Tundra. He tows a 25ft airstream (5500 pounds, 750pound hitch weight) I had my stock tires on barely a month before replacing them with Load Range E BFG All Terrain KO tires.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
STdan, I take it that you would recommend the upgrade then? Why did you get rid of your previous tires?

·
Registered
943 Posts
I plan to run the Goodyears that came on my truck until they are worn out then, go with Bridgestone Revo's. I had two sets of Revo's on my Super Duty and really liked them. They are a bit pricey but, wore better than anything else I have had.

·
Registered
943 Posts
If I were buying tires today I would buy Bridgestone Dueler Revo 2 LT 275/65R-18/E1 123S They sell for around $260 each.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the input Wayne. Due to availability, etc I am having the Michelin tires installed this morning.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Michelins are the way to go, I personally recommend Michelin LTX AT2 10ply load range E tires. When not towing I keep around 50-55lbs... when towing I adjust the psi up to where the setup rides optimally. The LTX AT2 tires can be aired up to 80 psi.

I've never had good luck with goodyears, passenger tires will cause more bouncing and sway when towing. Stock f150's generally come with passenger tires, unless you get the HD payload pkg and then it beefs the tires up to bf goodrich load range E tires.

Reactions: Kash76

·
Registered
859 Posts
I would recommend it to be on the safe side. (depending on $$$). My stock f150 tires were only load range D. (even with the max tow package) The tongue weight on my toy hauler is about 1130 pounds when empty. (I even have a hitch scale to verify it) and the piece of mind was worth it to upgrade. The BFGs have a 3 ply sidewall, most tires are just 2ply. It may be a little overkill, but I'd rather be on that side of the fence then just barely enough.

I've also run BFG All Terrains on every truck or suv I've ever owned and never had a problem. I like the agressive look and not much road noise to go along with it.

97 Chevy Blazer 4dr
97 Jeep Wrangler 2dr
2002 Silverado 1500 Z71 Ext Cab
2003 2002 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab
2004 GMC Yukon 4dr
2007 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
2012 Ford F150 Ecoboost - Crew Cab

STdan, I take it that you would recommend the upgrade then? Why did you get rid of your previous tires?

·
Registered
537 Posts
Over load rated tires are a lot like having too much HP or TQ, you may not need it, but it is sure nice to have when you do. I hope to wear out my OEM tires before buying a new set, but that has never happened with me in the past, so I don't guess it will this time either.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts