F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Im towing my dads Suv tomorrow for a 250 mile trip one way trip and we have to rent a uhaul car trailer. The weight of the suv is 6,005 lbs and the weight of the auto transport is 2200 lbs. So i wlll be right around 8200lbs all loaded up. Is there anything to be concerned about with that weight.. I have the 18" wheels, Factory tow package 3.55 rear end. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks

EDIT Im a dumbass i looked at the gross weight instead of the curb weight of the vehicle.. it only weighs 4400 lbs so total weight will be around 6600 lbs

·
Registered
943 Posts
I hope the trailer has brakes. If it does make sure you adjust your trailer brake controller.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Do you have a weight distributing hitch?

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its going to be a uhaul trailer, they dont have electric brakes but i think they call them surge brakes?? No i dont have the weight distributing hitch

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
You will be fine! No problems.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
its going to be a uhaul trailer, they dont have electric brakes but i think they call them surge brakes?? No i dont have the weight distributing hitch
I haven't used a uHaul trailer to tow a vehicle, but have used a car trailer. As you roll his on the trailer, watch as the trailer/truck level out and strap it down at that point. You should be set.

·
Registered
71 Posts
You'll be fine. Just take off and stop slower than normal and consider your weight when you choose your cruising speed. I was a bit hesitant when I pulled my first heavy load. You'll get a good feel for it within the first 20 minutes.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Not sure if you understand how surge brakes work. they work on force principal. so when you stop the trailer pushes on the hitch the more it pushes the harder the brakes come on. This is mostly ok unless your in an emergency situation when you slam on the brakes. the surge brakes will lock up. if you are on wet pavement the trailer could slide. I've rented a uhaul to tow my GTO it was fine till some one cut me off I felt the trailer slide. I ended up letting off the brakes allowing the trailer to regain control then reapplying them more gradual I had enough stopping distance but it was a scary situation. I've used other trailers with real electric brakes and that was the best set up by far because like others said you can adjust the gain also you can apply the trailer brakes independent of your trucks assuming your truck has a trailer controller. Make sure with a suburban your not putting too much weight on the front of the trailer last thing you want is that all kinds of weird stuff will happen while your going down the road the trailer will feel like it's driving it's self. Also make sure the trailer tires are fully inflated as well as your trucks.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are you running our tow tune or performance?
Just switched to the tow/perf tune this morning.. That way i wouldnt forget to do it tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing how the tune works with this load. Sure love the 91 performance tune.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Not sure if you understand how surge brakes work. they work on force principal. so when you stop the trailer pushes on the hitch the more it pushes the harder the brakes come on. This is mostly ok unless your in an emergency situation when you slam on the brakes. the surge brakes will lock up. if you are on wet pavement the trailer could slide. I've rented a uhaul to tow my GTO it was fine till some one cut me off I felt the trailer slide. I ended up letting off the brakes allowing the trailer to regain control then reapplying them more gradual I had enough stopping distance but it was a scary situation. I've used other trailers with real electric brakes and that was the best set up by far because like others said you can adjust the gain also you can apply the trailer brakes independent of your trucks assuming your truck has a trailer controller. Make sure with a suburban your not putting too much weight on the front of the trailer last thing you want is that all kinds of weird stuff will happen while your going down the road the trailer will feel like it's driving it's self. Also make sure the trailer tires are fully inflated as well as your trucks.
Yea ive towed with the uhaul trailer before but not with this truck.. IT was a superduty so i wasnt real concerned with the weight on the car and trailer

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
I have towed more than probably 90% of the people on here. Doesn't mean I'm better, I just have more experience with this truck. I have towed a 20' ft flatbed, a 14' dump, and a 14' cargo. All dual axle with electric brakes, but there is something wrong with the brakes on the cargo and they cut out.

Anyways, like anything, not going over 60 while towing and leaving a good distance in front of you is the main thing. I don't think you will have a problem. Towing with surge brakes is tricky as mentioned, but as long as you don't panic brake you should have no issue.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here is the load.. We are headed to ft worth. Yal have a good weekend, Anxious to see how good this EB tows.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Made it with no problems at all.. it cruised at 65 effortless and got 13.8 mpg.. very impressed!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts