F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

This is the Cobb Performance Tow map, with I assume stock bolts ons because their site isn't very clear on the required modifications. To me it doesn't sound worth the $600 to get a marginal performance increase. I think I would be better off with a stage 1 tune which adds 100 ft/lbs torque and 75 HP, but I'm worried that I might have to tune the TCM. I'm worried that with a sport-tuned TCM it might degrade reliability for a commercial driver like me.

·
Premium Member
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 Kodiak Brown.... Oops, I mean 2022 Powergrid KingRanch in Shiney White
12,522 Posts
I think a tow tune is purposely not adding the power that their same performance tune adds. I mean they could add more power if they wanted to, right?

There's a reason that I bet they can defend.

Reactions: SrpRacing

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
What effect would an upgraded FMIC do without a tune? If nothing I will probably just leave it all alone then.
It will just allow the calibration to run a bit more timing under load. MPG wise - it won’t do anything. If anything, you actually lose a small amount of fuel efficiency due to the extra weight.

They are mainly beneficial for those seeking the most power and/or towing constant loads. As the intercooler provides a cooler/more consistent air charge further preventing the calibration from pulling timing. The stock intercooler heat soaks very fast in warm climates.

I would only recommend a stock replacement intercooler over a FMIC. FMICs are overkill and provide little benefit over drop-in. Unless you want a winch.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Mind elaborating a little more on this? What is the concern?

Even with a tune designed for towing available, you'd take the stock one?
My question as well. Take 5* for example. They real life test their tow tunes compared to your run of the mill dyno turner.

What am I missing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
No aftermarket tune is actually “tow safe”. If you read between the lines, it’s a tune with a bit less power than their performance tune. All which they deem “ safe “. Marketing terms for you.

Most, if not all, raise torque limits, LSPI tables, min airflow (Boost), COT/ Manifold Protection, etc. Which are all tables that PROTECT the engine when stressed. You can end up really hurting the engine without realizing it.

The stock tune is the only file tested under full load (11,300+). It is also the only file that will get the best MPG.

5*’s claim of road testing is very very exaggerated( Again marketing). Them pulling a trailer down a road is very different to towing up a hill. I bet you 80% of the crowd here that warped manifolds were running a tune.

·
Registered
9,018 Posts
Stock for towing here too. I just dont think Ford left much scraps on the table for the tuners when talking about the extremes of towing. I suppose if you were just towing your harbor freight trailer to home depot then its fine, but anything substantial should remain stock.

Literally every towing tune ive run either sucked or was scary once I got into tuning myself and really understood what was going on. And I’ve run tunes from 4 different companies.

If you want a daily driver tune, then sure, get something.

·
Premium Member
5,756 Posts
I think a tow tune is purposely not adding the power that their same performance tune adds. I mean they could add more power if they wanted to, right?

There's a reason that I bet they can defend.
The reason is heat buildup while towing, betcha.

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7 Ecoboost 3.55 Axle
1,652 Posts
If I was going to do any towing, I’d grab the stock tune. As someone told me, the stock tune actually makes quite a bit of good torque. I’m impressed every time I switch back to it every now and then.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I would maybe only recommend a trans file to better situate the shifting while towing. But even that’s skeptical depending on who writes it as they tend to remove truncation and torque management. All that SAVE the trans from grenading when under full load @ WOT.

There’s a reason why my recommendation list is small, lol.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I would maybe only recommend a trans file to better situate the shifting while towing. But even that’s skeptical depending on who writes it as they tend to remove truncation and torque management. All that SAVE the trans from grenading when under full load @ WOT.
In my case, it would either be stock tune or a special trans tune because of the stage 4 turbos that are coming.

By the way, Brett uses torque management, he doesn’t delete it. He deleted it on one of my tunes to just double check an issue I was having and yeah, on WOT with no torque management it would lurch really bad from 2nd gear to 3rd gear. When he put it back in the tune the lurch went away. It definitely protects your drivetrain.

·
Premium Member
5,756 Posts

There’s a reason why my recommendation list is small, lol.
I tow in manual mode.

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
Imagine my disappointment when not a single post here mentioned the music you listen to while towing...

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Imagine my disappointment when not a single post here mentioned the music you listen to while towing...
Lol. Well, I don’t tow, so should I still say what I listen to? Not sure if anyone likes owl city, but I really enjoy his music.

·
Registered
2018 2.7l 4x4
147 Posts
Thanks for the explanation. I'm at a significant disadvantage, not knowing a whole lot about the technical ins and outs.

My whole reason for getting into an e85 tune was to reap the benefits of ethanol (cooler running and higher octane) while towing (~7k). Now it feels like that has been an uninformed step.

At least I know I can run the stage 2 turbos on the stock tune.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Thanks for the explanation. I'm at a significant disadvantage, not knowing a whole lot about the technical ins and outs.

My whole reason for getting into an e85 tune was to reap the benefits of ethanol (cooler running and higher octane) while towing (~7k). Now it feels like that has been an uninformed step.

At least I know I can run the stage 2 turbos on the stock tune.
Yep! That’s the beauty of it! I’m loving how these stage 2s run on the stock tune. Makes the same power, but everything else feels improved. You won’t be disappointed

Reactions: Boatwaco

·
Registered
2015 Ford F-150 Lariat Screw 5.5' | 3.5 Eco | 4x4 3.55 Max Tow | 33's, Edge CS2, Kicker PowerStage
300 Posts
Besides the safety issues already mentioned, I’d contend that towing is not a race.

In stock form, your rig already has more than enough power to pull the highest possible weights an F150 can be rated for, up and down any public road, all day, every day and twice on Sunday. It’s a better performing tow motor than literally anything on the market in its class - you’re batting from 1st base.

Of greater concern doing big tows is literally everything else other than the engine power - brakes, stability, cooling, tires, visibility, etc.

So what would we hope to gain by tuning?

Transmission tuning is the only factor I could maybe see. But again since ford offers manual mode it’s hard to say. (And also I quite like my 6 speed so can’t relate to the umbrage some take to the 10 speed.)

Real world experiences indicate it’s near impossible to improve mpg from stock - towing or otherwise. More power requires more fuel, period.

Any change from stock introduces risk. Fine for daily use but last thing I’d want to do towing.

·
Premium Member
5,756 Posts
Pretty much Blackberry Smoke, Sixx: A.M., and Sweet. There's alot of other stuff also but that is pretty much the basis of my multiplepersonalitydisorder.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts