F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
The one thing I don't like about my new (used) f150 transmission (besides the shudder that Im going to have looked at) is that it always stays in high gear to increase fuel efficiency. I personally am unaffected by the price of gas, as I pass that on to my clients (lucky me i know). However, I can't charge them a new transmission. How do I enable tow mode on a 2019 f150? Will that modify the shift points so that I'm not in 10th gear going up a slight incline with a 4000lbs trailer? Thats probably why the damn thing shudders for me in the first place.

·
Premium Member
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 Kodiak Brown.... Oops, I mean 2022 Powergrid KingRanch in Shiney White
12,637 Posts
It's so healthy to recognize your disorder. 🤣

·
Premium Member
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 Kodiak Brown.... Oops, I mean 2022 Powergrid KingRanch in Shiney White
12,637 Posts
How do I enable tow mode on a 2019 f150? Will that modify the shift points so that I'm not in 10th gear going up a slight incline with a 4000lbs trailer? Thats probably why the damn thing shudders for me in the first place.
Do you really not know how to switch modes?
I ask because with that 10r80 has multiple personalities at your fingertips. Ignore what Ford labels the modes if you can and use the one that makes the transmission and truck happy.
Try Sport Mode and see if the shudder is reduced or eliminated?

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
The one thing I don't like about my new (used) f150 transmission (besides the shudder that Im going to have looked at) is that it always stays in high gear to increase fuel efficiency. I personally am unaffected by the price of gas, as I pass that on to my clients (lucky me i know). However, I can't charge them a new transmission. How do I enable tow mode on a 2019 f150? Will that modify the shift points so that I'm not in 10th gear going up a slight incline with a 4000lbs trailer? Thats probably why the damn thing shudders for me in the first place.
Start by reading the owner’s manual.

Reactions: Arkansas Eco

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7 Ecoboost 3.55 Axle
1,699 Posts
You guys keep bringing up MPG. That’s the last of my concerns when towing.
That’s the last of my concerns, period. Lol

·
Premium Member
12,637 Posts
It's a fun challenge for me to monitor whatever parameters are in play that can reveal to me what's making the motor happy. (and the transmission)
Fuel economy can be one of the parameters that add to the dataset.
So it's not so much that I'm trying to be miserly.

Obviously I'm one that has long since embraced all the buttons and technology that has become the modern internal combustion engine. The driver's portion of the interior is a cockpit today, if you choose to participate as granular as possible.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Towing tunes
I just plug in my old iPod to the USB port, set it on shuffle and let her run! :) I have a wide variety ranging from the 50's thru the 80's.. There's about 2000 songs on it so far.. (still collecting too!) :)

Mitch

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
I just plug in my old iPod to the USB port, set it on shuffle and let her run! :) I have a wide variety ranging from the 50's thru the 80's.. There's about 2000 songs on it so far.. (still collecting too!) :)

Mitch
Is that the old iPod behind your truck? ;)

• Haha
Reactions: snakebitten

·
Premium Member
12,637 Posts
I love Mitch's RV.
I could live full time in it. Literally!

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I love Mitch's RV.
I could live full time in it. Literally!
It's a great "couples" trailer. I could live in it too with the wife. We have the theater seats, complete with back massage and butt warmer! :) Plus a host of other nice features that I've "modded" over time.

Mitch

Reactions: Arkansas Eco

·
Premium Member
12,637 Posts
It's a great "couples" trailer. I could live in it too with the wife. We have the theater seats, complete with back massage and butt warmer! :) Plus a host of other nice features that I've "modded" over time.

Mitch
You just confirmed my claim. :)
That's basically identical layout to my Aerolite 213RB

Except you have the privacy wall for the sleeping area. I don't.
I converted your slideout to my office.
And the entry door is between the kitchen and the bed.
The SOLE reason I chose it for my live-in was the RB, as you can well attest to yourself. As an adult, a full width bathroom is an outright luxury in the RV world.

You can see the office to my right and my bed is behind the lazyboy that I'm sitting in. I've been camping every night for ~6 years.

Joint Shoulder Sleeve Street fashion Waist

·
Premium Member
4,758 Posts
I guess the correct way of saying “Better MPG” would be that the stock tune runs the most amount of timing ( safely ) under load. Meaning it will run cooler. Most tuners lower timing and raise boost. All that does is use more fuel and cause heat.
It’s the opposite with “my” tow tune. I still have stock driver demand and torque/inverse tables. It will take a little more timing than stock however(I usually run 94) and actually reduce boost levels because it’s hitting commanded torque with the increased timing.
Only changes my tow tune has otherwise are for my HPFP, return lift pump set up, torque converter and trans clutches/shifting needs

Thanks to input from @mass-hole ; I really like the changes. It runs cooler and all stock safeties are in place and pulls like a freight train.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
It’s the opposite with “my” tow tune. I still have stock driver demand and torque/inverse tables. It will take a little more timing than stock however(I usually run 94) and actually reduce boost levels because it’s hitting commanded torque with the increased timing.
Only changes my tow tune has otherwise are for my HPFP, return lift pump set up, torque converter and trans clutches/shifting needs

Thanks to input from @mass-hole ; I really like the changes. It runs cooler and all stock safeties are in place and pulls like a freight train.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That’s exactly what BK and I messed with working on a “tow” tune. We must’ve had atleast 20 revisions. In the end a majority of the stuff we left stock. But made a few fan and trans changes.

Thats why I try to push people more towards a trans file for towing.

·
Registered
2013 race red SCrew 4x4 air lift bags
2,096 Posts
That’s exactly what BK and I messed with working on a “tow” tune. We must’ve had atleast 20 revisions. In the end a majority of the stuff we left stock. But made a few fan and trans changes.

It seems like, if you're familiar with a manual trans, you'd be able to use manual mode and shift accordingly? There was a video of a hot shot driver who said he only uses manual because the truck can't read the road like a person can, anticipation of hills, curves, or traffic. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·

Got a 2017-2020 F150 3.5L V6 Ecoboost? - 5 Star Tuning

Do you recommend this? Its a combo tune for both the ecm and tcm, and claims to fix the shift problems that I am experiencing.

Would it replace the modes that appear when pressing the drive mode button on the shifter column?

·
Premium Member
5,824 Posts

Mitch
Mine is a couple's camper also. Also theater seating with the perks. LED lighting inside and out. Fireplace. Subwoofer built in. Outdoor kitchen with the works. Rear camera. Lots and lots more options. I love it.

Reactions: Boatwaco

·
Premium Member
5,824 Posts
It seems like, if you're familiar with a manual trans, you'd be able to use manual mode and shift accordingly? There was a video of a hot shot driver who said he only uses manual because the truck can't read the road like a person can, anticipation of hills, curves, or traffic. 🤷‍♂️
Yep ! I just set the cruise where I want, lock out 5th and 6th, shift down to 3rd right when I start up even small hills. Let er eat ! Shifting down when on the brakes sure helps save the pads.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts