F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know...I know...

So, I bought my 2012 EcoBoost (Super Crew, 145", 3.15's) used. I came without a towing package (i.e. no receiver and only a 4-pin wiring harness). So, I have since purchased a Class IV receiver and had a 7-pin wiring harness installed along with a brake controller. In my research I have found this truck is rated to pull an 8,500lbs load. What I'm concerned with is if I start getting close to that limit (or maybe even push it a couple hundred pounds) if I'm going to start having transmission cooling problems or braking problems or any other problems I can't foresee at the moment. I'm trying to get the Ford dealerships to help me out, but they're proving to be little to no help. I am willing to add a transmission cooler (if they'll call me back).

So, I have a few questions:

1. If I was to grab only 8,500 conventionally would I be making a mistake?
  2. How strongly should I consider changing the gears out for 3.55's or 3.73's?
  3. How strongly should I consider adding the upgraded radiator and transmission oil cooler?
I'm stumped that someone actually purchased this truck this way from the factory...and even more mystified that I was blind and didn't realize it when I bought it used. :) Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Martin

·
Registered
943 Posts
Welcome to the forum. My first upgrade would be a transmission cooler. Second would be new gears. You might want to add some help to your rear suspension like Raod master Active Suspension.

·
Registered
868 Posts
upgraded trans cooler is a give me !
as far as radiator i dont know if there was a difference, someone else may know or the dealership would answer that.
3.15 gears i cant say anything nice about that
i guess if it was 2wd and weighed 3,200 lbs they would be nice.
i would say a 3.55 gear swap should be pretty high on your list of to do and 3.73 if you ever plan on bigger tires down the road
brakes will be ok but the engine will work very hard and make alot of heat so that would be my biggest concern
the engine will be more than enough to get the job done but at an expense of more fuel and heat with the combo you have

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to the forum. My first upgrade would be a transmission cooler. Second would be new gears. You might want to add some help to your rear suspension like Raod master Active Suspension.
Thanks! My research was leading me to the same conclusions. I just wanted someone else to confirm my suspicions.

-Martin

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
upgraded trans cooler is a give me !
as far as radiator i dont know if there was a difference, someone else may know or the dealership would answer that.
3.15 gears i cant say anything nice about that
i guess if it was 2wd and weighed 3,200 lbs they would be nice.
i would say a 3.55 gear swap should be pretty high on your list of to do and 3.73 if you ever plan on bigger tires down the road
brakes will be ok but the engine will work very hard and make alot of heat so that would be my biggest concern
the engine will be more than enough to get the job done but at an expense of more fuel and heat with the combo you have
Thanks! I was beginning to think about the 3.55’s also. I know my fuel economy will drop during normal driving, but do you have any idea what I can expect? I’m averaging around 20 now. I’m not interested in bigger tires so I think I’m going to avoid the 3.73’s.

-Martin

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
Thanks! I was beginning to think about the 3.55’s also. I know my fuel economy will drop during normal driving, but do you have any idea what I can expect? I’m averaging around 20 now. I’m not interested in bigger tires so I think I’m going to avoid the 3.73’s.

-Martin
I would go 3.73. I don't think you will see much, if any drop in normal driving, except at high freeway speeds. And here is why:

http://www.propickupmag.com/understanding-axle-ratios/

·
Registered
868 Posts
yea i would think if your seeing around 20 consistantly and you made the gear change you might see 18.5 more regularly but probably not even that much change for the norm

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
yea i would think if your seeing around 20 consistantly and you made the gear change you might see 18.5 more regularly but probably not even that much change for the norm
I have to agree that you may not even see a noticeable change in fuel economy. Sometimes a vehicle can have too tall a gear ratio (or very low number), so the vehicle seldom sees "high gear" except at freeway speeds on flat land. The moment you hit the slightest grade, the vehicle downshifts, so you really don't save anything over a lower gear ratio (higher number).

Given the mods you may have to make, have you considered the alternative ... trade the truck in for one with the Trailer Package (and maybe a few other options that are nice to have)? Then it will have all the necessary mechanical modifications you need without any further hassle. In the long run, you will be happier with your truck.

I just bought my truck and I had to compromise on a couple of items I would have preferred to have ... but I got a very good deal. But, I will admit that thought of trading it in, in a couple of years for one with a few more of the options I would prefer; is already crossing my mind.

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
PS: And the front grill does NOT have "Bow Tie" or a "Rams Head" on it either.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I think that the mpg trade off wiht a 3.73 is less that you would think. I can get 24 mpg @ 60 mph and 19 mpg @ 75 mph with a 3.73.

That said I wouldn't hesitate to see what you get towing with your present setup. You may find that you do just fine towing with those gears. As long as you do not exceed the the specified tow weight you should have nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
20 Posts
towing.jpg

Not to derail the thread...but I have a question along the same lines. I bought 4x4 Super Crew w/3.31(s) It shows 14,000. The 3.55 and 3.73 gears show 15500. Is that a huge difference? I want to know where is the stress on the engine, transmission, rear-end gears? Is it when I am starting, highway speeds, or both. Also, is there ANY advantage to having 3.15(OP)/3.31(self)? I mean why did Ford have these particular setups? I would think hauling 6000lbs is a lot of weight.... maybe it isn't. Now the Max Tow at 17100 does look impressive.

Just trying to figure out if there is any situation I might need a different rear-end gear ratio. Pulling flat beds 5,000lbs. Pulling a ski-boat. I have seen Toyota 4bangers pull a ski-boat. Just trying to understand if there should be buyer's remorse.

Thanks for your input.

-Al

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
ok, so the GCWR is the Gross Combined Weight Rating of the vehicle, meaning the total weight of the vehicle, occupants, additional weight of gas, cargo ect. I have the 3.73 with the max tow pkg. As a for-instance.........the GCWR for my truck is 17100. my typical load looks something like this, pickup weighs 5300 lbs full of fuel, I weigh 200 lbs and the walleye boat I pull is 4500 lbs. 17100-5300-200-4500=10000 lbs total GCWR. this means that I could load another 7100 lbs onto the whole wagon train and still be within the manufacturers recomemdations. If I add a 7000 lb camper to the mix I could only have another 100 lb person with me and not "break any rules".

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
That being said! OP, I would tell you, it will pull it, and it will pull the hell out of it. Just dont expect the truck to be in 6th gear AT ALL! I would expect a 4th gear or 5th gear puller, and fuel economy will suffer because of it!

Just my two cents, from experience with under powered, over geared pulling rigs.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My GVWR stated 7200

My GCWR is: 15100 or 1400 (not sure which one is correct)

Saw where it stated in a Ford article: 3.31 axle ratio, 15,100 GCWR, Supercrew 145"Wb = 9,200lb maximum loaded trailer weight

-What does that mean?
-How do I find out how much I can haul?
-How do I find out how much my truck weighs?

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
No, the GCWR is the total including the vehicle all gear and you. In your case it is 14,000 lbs total for everything.

The GCWR is a total with no assumptions made. The GVWR assumes the vehicle and you in it. It leaves anything you will load into your truck and anything you can pull. So your GVWR is 7200 lbs and the assumed weight of you and your vehicle is 5800 lbs.

You can find out how much your vehicle weighs on Fords website. My truck weighs a bit over 5300 lbs and yours would be similar or lighter as I have a 6.5 ft box 4wd version.

I hope This is making sense as it is difficult to get straight when you first start looking at it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Remember that the numbers on the Ford site are for dry weight - no fuel or oil or other sundry fluids. A full tank is somewhere in the region of 220lbs of fuel. Then add in accessories.

For instance, my extended cab 4x4 with me in it (260lbsish?) and Extang solid tri fold tonneau cover and almost full fuel tank and bits and bobs weighs in at the recycling center at near 6100lbs, according to the exit slip. This only allows me 1100 lbs of trailer *hitch* weight and gf and etc. Since my max GCVW is somewhere in the neighborhood of 15k, 15k - 7200 (assuming I loaded up on trailer hitch and other in the truck itself) equals a full trailer weighing 7800.

In general (and conservatively) you shouldn't have any issues with any version of the 3.5 hauling around 8k down the road safely and legally. With various additions (dealer or aftermarket) , you can do more. Whether it's still legal and/or reliable is a subjective discussion. Pretty sure I could tie 10k behind me and it would be fine.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
Deja vu! I was having to work with our Company's Insurance Agent on this.

We are a Construction Company and one of our pickups trucks (a 1 Ton diesel) hauls our Bobcats from "work site to work site". I found out that there are other "restrictions" to the GVW and you have to be careful of your jurisdiction. After a certain weight, you must also declare it, display your GVW on your truck and pay Insurance accordingly. Further, over a certain weight, you must pull into the Highway Scales and get inspected.

If you are towing, exceed that weight and have an accident ... you may find your Insurance coverage is void.

All I would tell anyone ... check with your insurance agent if you are getting anywhere near the maximum, and find out the rules in your jurisdiction. You may find yourself surprised and not delighfullly.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts