F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone I am new to this forum, as a matter of fact this is the first forum I have ever been a member of. A little bit about myself I just traded my 05 F-150 5.4L Lariat for a 2013 EB 4X4 SuperCrew XLT with 3.55's. I live in the Midwest where it's mostly flat, we tow a 30ft TT dry weight 6600lbs. I haven't been able to tow with it yet because I am still in the engine break in period. Just wondering if anyone has a similar setup, and how does it tow co.pared to the oil 5.4. Any info would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Do you have the max tow pkg? In my opinion you would be better off with the 3:73's.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My Uncle has a 2012 eco 2wd with the 3.55's (No Max Tow) He traded in a 2008 Super Duty with the V-10 engine & 4.10 gears & said that the eco pulled the trailer with less effort. He tows a 31 ft. travel trailer that weighs around 8000 lbs. loaded with no problem at all. I think you will find that there is no comparison between the 5.4 & the eco. Be prepared to be pleasantly surprised.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you have the max tow pkg? In my opinion you would be better off with the 3:73

I do not have the Max Tow package, just standard tow package. I drive 80 miles round trip for work, and wanted to get the best MPG I could but still have enough power to pull the Camper.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I also pulled my trailer with a F-350 V-10. The ecco boost will pull the trailer fine but, the suspension in the F-150 is not as stable as the F-350 was. As you can see in my signature, I have added Roadmaster Active Suspension. Several others here on this forum have added air bags. I think you will find that with the 3:55's you will have trouble pulling into a headwind and maintaing 6th gear. You can expect around 8MPG when towing your trailer. My travel trailer is 27 foot, dry weight of 6300#. Please understand I love my Ecco Boost. It is the smoothest most quiet vehicle I have ever owned. I get 18-20 MPG on the highway unloaded. I got 16.5 pulling my fishing boat to Canada but, when you hook up the travel trailer be prepared for not good MPG.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea, head wind isn't fun, I did have Firestone ride rites on my old truck and it was a incredible difference in towing. Even 8 MPG is better than the 6 I was getting with the 5.4. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
64 Posts
You'll be fine with the weight you're pulling and the 3:55s. I have been pulling a 27 ft toy hauler that weighs 8000 pounds fully loaded with my EB and 3:55s and it does great. I did get some Firestone air bags due to a 1150 pound tongue weight and that helped the ride tremendously over just the Reese EQ hitch with sway control. Love the way this thing pulls.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a similar setup because I wanted enough tow capacity (9,500 lbs.) when needed but the lower axle ratio for daily driving. My 30' travel trailer is 6,800 lbs. dry and we have stayed in the Midwest (MI) for our camping trips. I did not get the EcoBoost after having a 5.4, though, so I can't compare that for you.

Our recent 154-mile trip West and North ended up showing 7.8 mpg on the screen at arrival. The trip back, however, was 9.0 mpg. There were at least three things that improved that fuel economy: I adjusted the weight-distribution set-up while at camp, I used regular gas (87 octane) going to camp but mid-grade (89) gas on the way home; and the South/East travel must have been better for tailwinds. I truly believe the weight-distribution change had the biggest impact, so get that as accurate as you can.

Also, I lock out 6th gear because even when it does make it there, I am lucky to stay there for 15 seconds at a time.

·
Registered
42 Posts
You will be fine towing your 30'er with 3.55's. I pull a 34'8" fifth wheel with mine (same 3.55's) and in the Santa Cruz mountain range. Truck performs extremely and I agree with Emrick53, lock out 6th gear as it goes back and forth to much. I installed Hellwig Pro Series Quiet Ride springs and 6000# Timbrens (for safety sake). My 5'er weighs 8620# dry with a 1600 pin weight and even in crosswinds the truck tows it beautifully. Relax and enjoy. Welcome to the forum. You will enjoy spending time on here. There is a lot of good folks here and a lot of great information.

·
Registered
728 Posts
My father had a 2001 F150 XLT Scab w/ 7700 and 5.4L prior to the 2011 F150 Scab XLT w/ EcoBoost and 3.55's. We have towed quite a few things with it including an enclosed car hauler grossing 10,400 and open trailer loaded with a 45hp MF plus implements pushing 8700. The EcoBoost easily pulls better than the 5.4 Triton and gets better fuel mileage. Then unhook it and watch the mileage improve. Two weeks ago took it up through the Carolinas into Tennessee to pick up a Husqvarana garden tractor averaging 24.2 mpg.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I had a 04 fx4 and a 01 f250 5.4 that pulled a 7x16 enclosed trailer weighing about 5-6k with its payload everyday for 3 years. The 5.4 is a joke compared to the ecoboost. That gasping for power feeling isn't there with the ecoboost.

With the turbos and extreme torque curve starting at 1600 rpma, you get the same pulling feeling as a diesel. You put your foot into it and it will keep pulling till you let off. You'll be impressed.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Just back from an 11,000 mile, 80 day trip to Alaska and back. We have a 2012, extended cab, ecoboost with 3.55's. Our fifth wheel is 6,300 dry. I weighed it on a Cat Scale as we left for the trip and it topped out at 8,200.

I set the trip odometer when we left home. After the trip, it showed 11.0 mpg.

The truck handled the camper very well. I could pick my speed even on 8% grades. The tow/haul (it has the regular tow package) helped on down grades by down shifting to 4,000 rpms.

I love this truck!

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Just back from an 11,000 mile, 80 day trip to Alaska and back. We have a 2012, extended cab, ecoboost with 3.55's. Our fifth wheel is 6,300 dry. I weighed it on a Cat Scale as we left for the trip and it topped out at 8,200.

I set the trip odometer when we left home. After the trip, it showed 11.0 mpg.

The truck handled the camper very well. I could pick my speed even on 8% grades. The tow/haul (it has the regular tow package) helped on down grades by down shifting to 4,000 rpms.

I love this truck!
Glad you had a good trip! Where all did you visit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I had a 04 fx4 and a 01 f250 5.4 that pulled a 7x16 enclosed trailer weighing about 5-6k with its payload everyday for 3 years. The 5.4 is a joke compared to the ecoboost. That gasping for power feeling isn't there with the ecoboost.

With the turbos and extreme torque curve starting at 1600 rpma, you get the same pulling feeling as a diesel. You put your foot into it and it will keep pulling till you let off. You'll be impressed.
That was one thing I always noticed when towing with my ol 5.4, always gasping for power. In two weeks I will get my first crack at towing with the eco boost. Can't wait.

·
Registered
873 Posts
The 5.4 felt great off the line but really was reachin for power from the mid rpms and up. You'll be thoroughly impressed if you've never pulled with a diesel to compare it to. Let us know what you thought here in a few weeks.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I replaced my 07 5.4 FX4 SuperCrew 3.73 with a nearly identical 13 Ecoboost FX4 Supercrew 3.73. I can tell you it's night and day the improvement! The power increase is off the chart and MPG is a little better.

A buddy of mine has a 12 Supercrew 4X2 with 3.55 gears. He gets better mpg empty. But I get better towing. Pulling the same load. Pulling my open car trailer with our IH Scouts he will avg. 10.5 to 11.5 and I will avg. 11.5 to 12.5

I think the 3.73 has a better sweet spot for towing than the 3.55 But if you only tow less than 10% of the time then the .5 to 1 mpg gain in towing is far offset by the 2 mpg gain empty. But I would NOT go any lower than the 3.55 !

·
Registered
287 Posts
If you could tow the trailer with the anemic 5.4 you can easily do so with the ecoboost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
IMG_20130827_121510_412.jpg Well I was able to tow my camper for the first time, and WOW I am impressed with the power this truck can put out. Unlike my old 5.4 I had power to spare when climbing hills. With a heavy cross wind I was still getting 9mpg when before I could only see 6 mpg with my old 5.4. Now I know why it has the nickname eco beast.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Lookin Good!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts