F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious about this transmission and towing. I won't be able to tow with my new truck for a few more weeks (until I get 1000 miles), but I've been reading up on the transmission and wonder if most of you leave it in Drive and engage the Tow/Haul when pulling a trailer. My camper is only about 6k loaded for camping. Reading about the M setting and shifting up or down with the + and - was a bit confusing, at least for now anyway.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I always just leave mine in drive. I have a tune running a few different pull tunes, but I tow about the same weight and just rock it in 6th down the interstate. If I get a long pass and feel like I want it in fifth, using the +\- you can lock out 6th gear by just hitting -. I don't use tow haul.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What are you pulling? Weight wise that is. And what kind of mpg. It would be nice to be able to leave it in high gear if possible. On my last tow vehicle I had to keep it down a notch, no overdrive. I guess I will find what works best for me when I actually get to pull something.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I pulled an approx 8000# trailer last fall back from the lake... left in D with tow/haul on. Tow/Haul will change the shift points to help overall.

It don't matter if tow/haul is on or not for downhill shifts...

·
Registered
475 Posts
I only use the tow/haul if in some pretty steep country. It actually helps downhill shifts by giving what little engine braking is available when it downshifts. Saves a little on the brakes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I tow a 27' AS, between 7600 - 8000 #. Always keep it in D with tow/ haul mode engaged. I keep speed to a max of 65 & get between 11.5 & 12 mpg depending on wind conditions & how many toys we have on the roof.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have heard two thoughts on the matter. If you aren't frequently shifting in and out of overdrive then you are good. The other is; if you tow in overdrive you will be rebuilding your tranny soon.

I tow around 6500 lbs and always use tow mode.

·
Registered
'13 F-150 Kodiac Brown XLT Screw HDPP
163 Posts
Was towing a 8600# TT. I always use tow/haul mode. On the flats leave it in 6th and on hilly terrain I lock out 6th and let the trany do its job.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
I have heard two thoughts on the matter. If you aren't frequently shifting in and out of overdrive then you are good. The other is; if you tow in overdrive you will be rebuilding your tranny soon.

I tow around 6500 lbs and always use tow mode.
I tow frequently. Heavy loads too. Half the time I forget to hit tow haul. And even so, I never lock out any gears. I have 50k miles and my tranny shifts the same as when I picked it up with 6 miles.

Black Sheep of the Family

·
Registered
475 Posts
Both the two top gears are overdrive gears. It doesn't hurt to tow in overdrive as long as you're not lugging the engine badly. Tow/haul will make it downshift a little sooner.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
It's my understanding that the t/h button keeps the trans in gear longer while upshifting and before downshifting and to keep the converter in a 'locked' condition more. I notice when just driving around empty, the TC likes to unlock to keep in the higher gears.. While that's fine when empty, if towing heavy, an unlocked TC is going to generate a ton of heat..

I'm going on my first tow in a couple of weeks and will see first hand how it works.. I've only got a #5000 TT, but I'll probably try t/h and with it off to see how my truck reacts to it.

Mitch

1 - 13 of 13 Posts