F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize I’m sure this has been discussed before but I’m going to be buying a toy hauler with my Harley what I’ve been looking at is a jayco 222 5,800 lbs with my Harley and a few extras probably 7200-7,500 lbs.
Just wanting to know real world experience towing with the 3.5 eco-boost max tow with this kind of weight. Will tow at least one long trip out west or thousand to 1500 miles and several short trips a year.
Just wondering it’s if it’s better to go three-quarter ton.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 Kodiak Brown
9,927 Posts
It's always easier to tow with the 3/4 ton. :)

But once you unhitch..... Well you know.

The 3.5EB can tow 7500 just fine. Power isn't going to be an issue. But 7500 IS heavy enough to tax the chassis if you don't get things setup properly.

Toy haulers often have the advantage of letting you use the cargo placement inside the toy hauler to adjust the tongue weight. So that's one more parameter that you can use to "dial it in" for your truck.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Flyswatter

·
Registered
81 Posts
Weight is rarely the issue as these trucks have plenty of power, just expect to keep a constant eye on your temp gauge as they are prone to overheating without upgrades.

·
Premium Member
9,927 Posts
What would be the upgrades?
I'm not sure what upgrades there are for a new 3.5EB that would keep it cooler while towing in heat.

But YOU can make a considerable impact on heat management as the pilot by monitoring your Temps while towing and then manually intervening with both the transmission gear selection and the throttle to keep heat within the margins.

Another way to say it is if all you are going to do is drive it and let the truck decide on its own, you do risk it choosing to use more boost than the cooling loop can manage. And once it gets hot enough to trigger the self protection procedures, you don't have much option but to live with it. Lol

Reactions: Flyswatter

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
The stock tuning tends to want to hold gears longer than it should before downshifting. This leads to low RPM "lugging" the load up grades. The boost adjusts and ramps up, leading to a massive surge of heat that the cooling system cannot completely shed. So people upgrade radiators, intercoolers, trans cooler, etc. On older trucks this gives more headroom in slowing the rush of heat from the turbo s so you have time to react, downshifting (lowers boost) and slowing down.

The best bet would be to test drive something with a load on it and take it up a steep grade. Then you'll see how it behaves. Since that isn't realistic, I'd have to say your numbers are doable or manageable, but may run into this issue. Some people have reported hot trucks with much less weight too. Ymmv.

·
Registered
2015 F150 XLT Screw 3.5 Ecoboost Max Tow 157”WB. 2” front level, Airlift 2000lbs rear.
12 Posts
Hi @Flyswatter , not sure the specifics of your truck but I tow a 32’ travel trailer that weighs in nearly 9K all loaded up with a 3.5 max tow 157”. A bit bigger than what you are looking to tow. My experience is like what others are saying… power isn’t a huge issue, you’ll notice she’s working up the hills but take it easy and you’ll make it. Don’t push it to hard accelerate to on the way up. The one bit of real world experience I can share is you will feel the wind. The eco boost is great! ..the truck is still a 1/2 ton, so as you get close to maxing GVWR you feel it in the ride and handling. Stability is key, air bags are nice and a solid WDH will help a lot. I find long hauls can be tiring, but that may just be me. Good luck! Lots of good advice on this forum!

·
Registered
7,703 Posts
I've been towing round 7k all the time with my non max tow 2011. I'm running a 87 octane tow tune. Never have I had a single issue. I put timbrens in the rear to keep it level, use a blue ox sway pro.

Never have I seen my trans temp go over 209* norm is 195-205. I don't even have the aux trans cooler.

If you find overheat issues I'd look into a good tune designed for towing.

·
Registered
668 Posts
2016 here. 157” max tow. Our trailer is 29” long tip to tail and 7500lbs loaded up. 1000 lb tongue. Two adults and two kids total another 650lbs and usually 4 bikes in the box another 120lbs. We use all the payload.

we just travelled 2000 miles from Calgary to Penticton to Seychelt to Blind Bay and then to Jasper in western Canada befoe returning to Calgary. Due to the heat wave a lot of the driving days were over 30C and up to 35C a few times (80 to 95f) going over passes up to 215m(7000ft) in the Rockies, Purcells and coast ranges. The biggest temps I say for coolant and transmission fluid were 225 transmission and 231 coolant (on my scangauge). I am meticulous about keeping boost below 10psi on long uphills by manually downshifting the transmission and spinning the motor. It was a workout for the truck for sure, but no terror moments or power reductions. Attached is the grade of hwy 5 south of Merrit, which is not even close to the steepest or longest roads we pulled. The okanagon connector is 20miles at 6.5 grade and it was around 95f.
can be done.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi @Flyswatter , not sure the specifics of your truck but I tow a 32’ travel trailer that weighs in nearly 9K all loaded up with a 3.5 max tow 157”. A bit bigger than what you are looking to tow. My experience is like what others are saying… power isn’t a huge issue, you’ll notice she’s working up the hills but take it easy and you’ll make it. Don’t push it to hard accelerate to on the way up. The one bit of real world experience I can share is you will feel the wind. The eco boost is great! ..the truck is still a 1/2 ton, so as you get close to maxing GVWR you feel it in the ride and handling. Stability is key, air bags are nice and a solid WDH will help a lot. I find long hauls can be tiring, but that may just be me. Good luck! Lots of good advice on this forum!
What is a WHD? I just purchased a 31’ camper 8,600 GVW and will be towing it from Minneapolis to Chicago in March. The family and I are currently camping in it and I definitely felt the wind driving 30 min to our camp site. I want to make sure I’m good to travel in March.
thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I apologize I’m sure this has been discussed before but I’m going to be buying a toy hauler with my Harley what I’ve been looking at is a jayco 222 5,800 lbs with my Harley and a few extras probably 7200-7,500 lbs.
Just wanting to know real world experience towing with the 3.5 eco-boost max tow with this kind of weight. Will tow at least one long trip out west or thousand to 1500 miles and several short trips a year.
Just wondering it’s if it’s better to go three-quarter ton.
Thanks
I pull a trailer that weighs 6700# empty. I am probable towing around 7,500 to 8,000 with a 2014 f150 3.5L ecoboost. with the max towing and have no problems at all. I did replace the stcok tires with 10 ply to help with any bouncing issues.

·
Premium Member
9,927 Posts
What is a WHD? I just purchased a 31’ camper 8,600 GVW and will be towing it from Minneapolis to Chicago in March. The family and I are currently camping in it and I definitely felt the wind driving 30 min to our camp site. I want to make sure I’m good to travel in March.
thanks.
Weight Distribution Hitch

I'm pretty sure you had one with a 31' behind you.

·
Registered
7,802 Posts
Weight Distribution Hitch

I'm pretty sure you had one with a 31' behind you.

Idk. Some guy in a colorado was towing a 9060 lb gvwr trailer here in Utah.

Reactions: Arkansas Eco

·
Registered
81 Posts
What would be the upgrades?
I personally have upgraded the charge air cooler(CAC), also referred to as an intercooler. I have a 180 degree thermostat on the shelf I intend to install soon but the CAC is doing a great job and keeps air intake temps low, this translates into a cooler engine and sustained power levels.

·
Premium Member
2013 XLT 302A 145" Screw
3,700 Posts
Also, I think the drier air in places out west and southwest cools the AIT alot more efficiently than the humid air here.

·
Registered
2018 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EB, Magma Red, Max Tow, Sport Pkg.
33 Posts
I got my EB with Max Tow in March and took my camper over Monarch pass a couple times this summer (see info here Monarch Pass, a high and notable road in Colorado), followed the good advice of the guys on the forum. Used Tow haul mode and watched boost gauge to stay out of boost. No mods other then bilsteins in the rear. Got an Equalizer 12K, WDH and set it up myself, pulled the Jayco with empty water tanks so it was probably in the 6500 lb range. Had no real issues except that it was windy on my second trip over and noticed the sway a little bit. Had no issue with power and thinking about air bags or helper springs, mirrors and Hellwig rear swaybar. I'm definitely one of the rookies here but fell like the WDH is a must can't imagine not using one.

·
Premium Member
2013 XLT 302A 145" Screw
3,700 Posts
I got my EB with Max Tow in March and took my camper over Monarch pass a couple times this summer (see info here Monarch Pass, a high and notable road in Colorado), followed the good advice of the guys on the forum. Used Tow haul mode and watched boost gauge to stay out of boost. No mods other then bilsteins in the rear. Got an Equalizer 12K, WDH and set it up myself, pulled the Jayco with empty water tanks so it was probably in the 6500 lb range. Had no real issues except that it was windy on my second trip over and noticed the sway a little bit. Had no issue with power and thinking about air bags or helper springs, mirrors and Hellwig rear swaybar. I'm definitely one of the rookies here but fell like the WDH is a must can't imagine not using one.
You are correct sir and Your Max Tow doesn't have tow mirrors ? I like mine but they don't help as much as I'd like. I still can't see all the way to the rear bumper down the sides of the camper. Visibility is great. The Hellwig anti-swaybar on the rear is a bigtime investment for towing. Not that it is expensive, but it helps plant the truck so well. I really want the big Hellwig front anti-swaybar, but they are dang proud of it. Not that it will help so much towing but that it just helps so much in all circumstances, especially on these hilly curvy roads and streets around here. If I ever wear out the oem shocks, I want some good uns that further the towing prowess.

·
Registered
2018 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EB, Magma Red, Max Tow, Sport Pkg.
33 Posts
Here's a pic for you Ark Eco from top of the pass, had plenty of power. - Cheers

Here's the elevation profile from the county website. I will admit its a little scary going East and uphill in the outside (slow) lane with no guard rails.
Slope Rectangle Font Parallel Symmetry

·
Premium Member
2013 XLT 302A 145" Screw
3,700 Posts
Wow ! What does your camper weigh loaded to go camping, with empty tanks ?

·
Registered
970 Posts
I got my EB with Max Tow in March and took my camper over Monarch pass a couple times this summer (see info here Monarch Pass, a high and notable road in Colorado), followed the good advice of the guys on the forum. Used Tow haul mode and watched boost gauge to stay out of boost.
Nice. My last trip through there with our Jayco 19h (3500-3700lbs) it was in the 50's and I still went into limp mode - horrible place for it to happen. I'm not sure what is up with my truck but I'm not liking it lately.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts