F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Of course I am running the 5* dedicated performance 91 octane tune. I also have the 5* tow/performance tune in the sct ready to go. I will be towing this weekend, 110 miles of flat and 60 miles of mountain. I know the obvious answer is load the tow tune over the performance tune.

So out of curiosity, do fellow boosters just stay with the performance tune and go ahead and tow? If so risk, benefits, disadvantages?

I do understand that 5* does dial the tow tune in pretty good, so I am wondering the tow/performance tune towing vs the straight performance tune?

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
If it was only around 2klbs or less I'd feel ok taking it pretty easy towing.
I would definitely not tow my travel trailer with my performance tune though.
One of the main things is it'll cause more heat, higher boost.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it was only around 2klbs or less I'd feel ok taking it pretty easy towing.
I would definitely not tow my travel trailer with my performance tune though.
One of the main things is it'll cause more heat, higher boost.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I get it, I was just curious..... I figured you would have to be very mindful and very lite on the throttle.....

I will be most likely loading the per/tow tune.....

·
Registered
527 Posts
Depending on where I'm going I tow with my performance tune.
Locally the roads are flat enough that I don't worry about it but I make sure to not get into the throttle like I do when empty. When I go to Colorado (hilly/mountains) I change to the tow tune.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I have to say that 5*'s Adaptive Perf/Tow Tune is the ticket. I've ran it several times and find myself leaving it installed....really no need to go to my specific octane tunes! It used to be ohh, done with towing better switch to 91 perf & or tow tunes-lol
It's just that good!
And no I would not run my 91 perf tune for towing....again too much boost=heat.(fine for the street though!)👍

Attachments

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good deal, I know the 5* 91 octane Tow/Perf tune is different than the 5* 91 octane Performance tune, just would like to know the exact changes.... and dyno differences...

I do understand the dedicated 91 octane tow tune is more specific to towing..... just wondering what the main difference is between them all

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
I mean...I got nothing. 5* the MOST reputable towing tuner of them ALL and you’re considering one of their non towing based tunes to tow. Am I missing something?! April fools LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I mean...I got nothing. 5* the MOST reputable towing tuner of them ALL and you’re considering one of their non towing based tunes to tow. Am I missing something?! April fools LOL

No,,,, it was just a thought that turned into a question for conversation.....

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
No,,,, it was just a thought that turned into a question for conversation.....
True, it’s good to have it documented for others who are unsure. Sometimes I assume things are common knowledge/common sense although they always aren’t.

·
Administrator
9,491 Posts
I'm sure all performance tunes would behave differently, but I tried to tow a light load once with my BCB performance tune. I had an empty trailer on my way up to Ohio to haul my brother's truck home to SC.

It behaved weirdly. With light throttle input the boost would seem to "runaway" with the slightest load. It wasn't smooth at all, and the higher boost at lower p
Rpms worried me. This is probably just 2500 lbs worth of trailer.

Before long, I pulled over, emailed Torrie McPhail, and he sent me a tow tune over. I loaded it to my tablet with my phone then put it on the truck. It was much better.

The trailer can be seen in the attached photo.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I loaded the 5* tow/performance 91 octane tine this evening after I got home.....

Will head out Friday with the trailer in tow....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
8 Participants
TOWMA8R
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing