F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a little problem here. Showed up to our seasonal spot at the lake for our last weekend here. The plan was to bring the trailer home this weekend. Once here I discovered I didn't leave the bars here like I thought I did. I'm wondering if anyone has issues towing with out them. Trailer is 27' long dry hitch of 712lbs & GVWR of 7500. I'm expecting we are well under that, probably around 6500lbs. I have a 2013 FX4 with 1600lbs payload & max tow package. The trip would be around 2.5 hrs over gravel & paved roads.

What is everyone's thought on a trip like this, really don't want a 5hr round trip to get the bars, would rather be fishing & spending the time with the family.

I did pull this trailer with my 2009 that only had a towing cap of 7500 without the bars, but that was only for 20km or so.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Well what would take more time? Driving extremely slow and cautious, or the round trip an tow. It is really gonna depnd on wind conditions. I personally would do the tow, but take it extremely slow and safe.

Good luck!

SPPD

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
after spending a bunch of time reading on capacities, etc I made the 5hr round trip to get them. Pulled fine of course...

Reactions: bill98065

·
Registered
94 Posts
I pulled a trailer without equalizer bars and ruined a GM hitch. I had to stop thousands of miles from home and put on a heavier hitch as the GM hitch was all bent down due to not being strong enough. Make sure the tongue weight of the hitch will do the job, and don't necessarily believe the ratings of the manufacturer. I think equalizer bars also help the comfort of the ride. AGAIN, DON'T USE BARS HEAVIER THAN NECESSARY AS THEY HURT THE RIDE WITH NO BENEFIT! BIGGER IS NOT BETTER!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts