F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Ecoboost is so good, even Toyota is running them.

Coming to US in Lexus fullsize SUV and potentially Tundra.

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
The Ecoboost is so good, even Toyota is running them.

Coming to US in Lexus fullsize SUV and potentially Tundra.

Its already in the Lexus LS500. Its called the V35A-FTS. Its long stroke, small bore compared to the 3.5L Ecoboost so I think its a bit stronger in the low end torque department and probably better off boost.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Ya and it’s got laser cladded valve seats? Did I get that right? Doesn’t cladding mean covering, armoring? I didn’t know lasers could clad anything. Must be like laser treated, what does that do?

·
Registered
709 Posts
Well ya know ya just gotta learn something new each day. So they aren’t cladding the valve seat with lasers but using a laser to bond a “powder” to the aluminum valve port to serve as the valve seat. So no more valve seats as separate parts as we know them. This allows for the ability to better shape the port as they don’t have to work around the actual seat and the head material needed to retain it. They now have a high swirl and tumble to better mix the fuel with a less restrictive port and you will have a head that goes to the recycler if the valve seat is damaged.

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
Well ya know ya just gotta learn something new each day. So they aren’t cladding the valve seat with lasers but using a laser to bond a “powder” to the aluminum valve port to serve as the valve seat. So no more valve seats as separate parts as we know them. This allows for the ability to better shape the port as they don’t have to work around the actual seat and the head material needed to retain it. They now have a high swirl and tumble to better mix the fuel with a less restrictive port and you will have a head that goes to the recycler if the valve seat is damaged.
Probably how they hit 409hp. i wonder if we will see this engine run a lot less boost between the long stroke and higher flow ports.

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7 Ecoboost 3.55 Axle
750 Posts
Probably how they hit 409hp. i wonder if we will see this engine run a lot less boost between the long stroke and higher flow ports.
I wonder what turbskies they are using and how big they are.

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
Im most excited that it has an engine driven cooling fan.

Reactions: Arkansas Eco

·
Registered
709 Posts
Turbskies small? Long stroke, 40% thermal efficiency would make me think is a low reving beast.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Im most excited that it has an engine driven cooling fan.
Enlighten me about an engine mounted fan. Just when you need power, as the reason the engine needs additional cooling you‘re burdening it with the fan. Surely an electric fan could supply all the air flow required.

·
Moderstrator
3,346 Posts
Their engine mounted fan is an electric fan and not direct drive. It is attached to the engine all the same but it is electric according the article I read on it.

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
Their engine mounted fan is an electric fan and not direct drive. It is attached to the engine all the same but it is electric according the article I read on it.
Its an electric clutch controlled by the pcm as opposed to a thermal activated clutch. The fan is driven by the engine, they can just control it more precisely. GM and Ford have run these types of clutches for a while, I am 99% sure thats what my dad’s 2008 Trailblzer SS had.

Reactions: Blown F-150

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
Enlighten me about an engine mounted fan. Just when you need power, as the reason the engine needs additional cooling you‘re burdening it with the fan. Surely an electric fan could supply all the air flow required.
An electric fan can't touch the air flow of an engine driven fan. But I also think that the fan shrouds used with engine driven fans allow for better natural air flow.

An electric fan consumes ~2x(or worse) the mechanical energy from the engine than it gets from the electric motors. It has to convert the energy from mechanical via the belt, to electrical in the alternator, and then back to mechanical in the electric motors. So if you have an 800 watt cooling fan setup you lose 1600 watts(around 2 HP) or more at the motor. There is a lot of efficiency loss there and really the only benefit vs a mechanical fan is that they can turn them off when not needed and it doesnt act like a flywheel when drag racing.

Under stead state load, like towing a trailer, then a mechanical fan isn't going to consume significantly more power I don't think, and almost all of the energy it draws from the engine is going into moving air since its direct mechanical to mechanical energy. Hell, the engine belt already has to go around the water pump so its not like you even are spinning any extra pulleys.

Any vehicle meant for work is using a mechanical fan except the half ton trucks. Even the Ranger and I think the Powerstroke F150 has one.

Reactions: Tdog02

·
Registered
750 Posts
I like this thing. This would be what may cause me to change brands...

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
Meh…. I’m partial to Ford Ecoboost because it’s proven tech and there’s so much aftermarket available. It’ll be a few years before there’s aftermarket stuff available for that new engine. However, it does look like a good design, but as we all know, there’s always kinks somewhere!!

Reactions: N4HHE

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
Meh…. I’m partial to Ford Ecoboost because it’s proven tech and there’s so much aftermarket available. It’ll be a few years before there’s aftermarket stuff available for that new engine. However, it does look like a good design, but as we all know, there’s always kinks somewhere!!
Not so true anymore with the 2021's. The PCM is yet to be cracked and, even if it is, It may be a PITA to tune. Ford locked down the 2021's hardcore just like all the other MFG's. The GM people are having to jump through hoops to tune their trucks and I am pretty sure the new Duramax has to have a custom chip soldered into the PCM to even be able to flash it. You lose all ability to have the dealer work on the truck.

Reactions: Grim Reaper

·
Registered
750 Posts
Not so true anymore with the 2021's. The PCM is yet to be cracked and, even if it is, It may be a PITA to tune. Ford locked down the 2021's hardcore just like all the other MFG's. The GM people are having to jump through hoops to tune their trucks and I am pretty sure the new Duramax has to have a custom chip soldered into the PCM to even be able to flash it. You lose all ability to have the dealer work on the truck.
We’ll, that’s true, but I guess Im saying that Ford Ecoboost engine has been around for 10 plus years and it’s a proven engine. Whether or not you can crack the PCM or not on the newer ones, eh, somebody will get it eventually.

·
Administrator
11,322 Posts
It's proven-ish. It's not without its problems. One buddy of mine has an '18 that rattles like my old 7.3 on startup, and another buddy has a 10 speed that slams into drive and sometimes shifts like it has been hit by a freight train. It has been in and out of the dealership with no improvement (I know you were talking about the engine though.) Not to mention the overheating issues that are hashed out on here frequently. 2.7s seem pretty solid but they are limited capability. Thankfully for me that covers what I need in my truck.

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
It's proven-ish. It's not without its problems. One buddy of mine has an '18 that rattles like my old 7.3 on startup, and another buddy has a 10 speed that slams into drive and sometimes shifts like it has been hit by a freight train. It has been in and out of the dealership with no improvement (I know you were talking about the engine though.) Not to mention the overheating issues that are hashed out on here frequently. 2.7s seem pretty solid but they are limited capability. Thankfully for me that covers what I need in my truck.

Exactly. The 3.5 is not proven. First gen had the timing chain and manifold issues while the second gen has cam phasers. And then, as you mention, the cooling issues.

I am really hoping Toyota is able to take all the strengths of the 3.5 Ecoboost and fix the weaknesses.

Reactions: 3.5EB

·
Registered
7,422 Posts

That article goes into some detail on the LS500 version of the engine. It looks like it has integrated manifolds and electronic wategates. It also has one fuel pump on each exhaust cam and can run up to 2900 psi.

Reactions: Grim Reaper
1 - 20 of 33 Posts