F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2015 F150 XLT 4X4 3.5 Ecoboost
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there guys. Found this great little community a while back and thought it would be a great idea to join for the info and to possibly help with a current issue. I own a 2015 XLT 3.5 ecoboost 4X4 which I bought used a little over a year ago. I have already read some old threads about trailer brake control problems. Issue, as others have stated, is that the truck will not read when i push the brakes the trailer brakes will not engage. I have checked the fuse box for fuse 9 and 21 which are not installed and the manual even says those spaces have no use. A previous post said those help control the brake controller. There is a fuse for "trailer brake control module 30A" which is installed and is good. All other fuses related to trailering are for the lights. Does anyone have new info or can remember older ideas for issue. My next step is to clean the wire harness contacts and the truck contacts to make sure the current is flowing good. Thanks

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Assuming this is a factory integrated Ford controller....
For your year, you should look at:
Engine compartment box 49 relay that powers the trailer brakes (probably the 30A you listed)
Passenger compartment box 4 that powers the controller (should not display power if this failed)

Based on what you wrote, it seems you have the fuses covered.

One of the more really common issues, is the truck or trailer 7 pin connection not making good contact to each other. The Ford system connection has shown a need to be better/cleaner than old school connections, because of the electronic wizardry involved. Thoroughly clean the connectors on both ends.

I don't want to assume all things and connections are good from truck controller through the 7 pin to your brakes, so, lots of possibilities and questions remain. Has this combo ever worked? Has the truck controller ever worked? Have the trailer brakes ever worked? What does "truck will not read" mean; Is the controller screen showing, on the dash? etc...

Recommendations to start:
Verify the trailer chassis ground is good and clean.
Isolate the problem by checking the trailer's brakes with another truck.
Then check the truck's ability to run another trailer's electric brakes.
In both cases, the best case is to try another F150, to isolate some other issues.

·
Registered
696 Posts
If you have the ford integrated trailer brake controller, you need to set up the trailer in your dash settings. As of 2015, it is a “smart” controller. All the fuse and relay info isn’t pertinent to the 2015+ trucks.

·
Premium Member
5,756 Posts
Mine seems kinda smart.

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
If you have the ford integrated trailer brake controller, you need to set up the trailer in your dash settings. As of 2015, it is a “smart” controller. All the fuse and relay info isn’t pertinent to the 2015+ trucks.

I am pretty sure you can still run it as "default". You do need to make sure it is on "electric" brakes, but the brakes should still fire when you pull the manual control lever over.

The fuse I am not positive of ,but relay is still required. Take out your 30A and see.... :)

·
Registered
2015 F150 XLT 4X4 3.5 Ecoboost
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I think it will run as default but you can set a trailer personal settings if desired. The brakes on the camper will engage when I squeeze the manual control. I’m hoping if I clean the contacts on the truck hookup and the trailer then I will be able to get results. I still haven’t had the chance to hookup to another trailer for a guidance.

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Yeah I think it will run as default but you can set a trailer personal settings if desired. The brakes on the camper will engage when I squeeze the manual control. I’m hoping if I clean the contacts on the truck hookup and the trailer then I will be able to get results. I still haven’t had the chance to hookup to another trailer for a guidance.
That is a different symptom. If the manual control will fire the magnets, your foot hard on the brake should also. You still could have a weak trailer ground (for the brakes), or 7 pin connection. I would check your "Trailer Brake Effort Setting" and then re-adjust your gain (+/-) after checking connections. The options are low, medium and high.

All of this pre-supposes the brakes on the trailer are adjusted properly....

·
Premium Member
5,756 Posts
Does the 2015 have the 'effort setting' ?

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Does the 2015 have the 'effort setting' ?
Trailer Brake Effort Setting
The trailer brake controller allows the user
to customize how aggressively the trailer
brakes engage. The default value is "Low"
and is the recommended setting for most
trailers. If your trailer's brakes require more
initial voltage, or if you prefer more
aggressive trailer braking, then select either
the "Medium" or the "High" setting.
~2015 F-150 Owner’s Manual

Reactions: Arkansas Eco

·
Premium Member
5,756 Posts
That's cool. I installed an aftermarket in my last truck with that feature.

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
That's cool. I installed an aftermarket in my last truck with that feature.
Don't let me fool you, I had to Google it to be sure. :)

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Reactions: Arkansas Eco

·
Premium Member
5,756 Posts
Don't let me fool you, I had to Google it to be sure. :)

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk
A tad slow tonight. On purpose, if ya know what I mean. 🍻 Night off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2015 lariat with the same problem. I plug my trailer in and when I step on the brake no brakes and when I trolly the brakes the some what work but the dash reads no trailer. Six hundred later the dealer says truck is fine. I know it’s not my camper buddy has same truck plugged in and it works fine. All relays are in and fuses dealer synced all modules and replaced seven way. I even tried regrounding the plug nothing. Any ideas?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I wasted so much time on this issue that I said screw it and bought a Tekonsha aftermarket brake controller. Sucks that it's not integrated but it's 1000x better towing my camper now. I was even able to shove it in the spot that the stock one goes with a zip tie in the back to hold the wires out of the way. Fits solid in there and looks somewhat professional of an install.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I wasted so much time on this issue that I said screw it and bought a Tekonsha aftermarket brake controller. Sucks that it's not integrated but it's 1000x better towing my camper now. I was even able to shove it in the spot that the stock one goes with a zip tie in the back to hold the wires out of the way. Fits solid in there and looks somewhat professional of an install

1 - 20 of 35 Posts