F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today I tried to tow my trailer for the first time after I bought the truck (a 2011 used one). The trailer connection wasn't working. I kept getting a "trailer connected" and then a "trailer disconnected" message. I removed and reinstalled the electric connections, but to no avail. The entire trip it kept flashing that message again and again. I take it back to the Service department on Monday. Anyone else have that problem?

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
I got that a couple times I towed mine, too. I don't think the brakes were working so I'm wondering if my connector adaptor has a bum ground connection. Keep us posted post dealer visit!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The Ford Service department checked out the brake controller and connections and gave everything a clean bill of health. So now the problem was isolated as a Trailer wiring problem. Took the trailer to E-Trailer.Com and sure enough, the problem was traced to faulty trailer brake wiring. Since the trailer brakes and wiring were installed by etrailer, they fixed it for free. I have always got awesome service from etrailer.com and this time was no exception. I am now just one step away from being a delighted customer...that one step is that my backup camera continues to fail me when I need it the most. The Dealer is aware of the problem and is possibly going to change the back up camera and tap lines.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Great to hear. I ran into something similar but it was on the truck side. When my class 3 rcv'r failed and had to be replaced but the dealer did not install 7-pin round receptacle properly and it was pushing back/away when I plugged in my trailer. It was not very noticeable. After replacing the Trailer plug, which was a suspect from the start, still had the problem. At the same time, the beginning of the season, I had also replaced the brake unit with a new top o line prodigy and it was not seeing the trailer. Basically too many things were done in too short of timeframe for proper prolbelm isolation. Heck I just wanted to go camping :) It was my trailer dealer, Gayle Kline RV Moutville, PA, that found the Ford dealer's mistake. Thanks to them. Good people.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
4 Participants
CrazyLegs
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing