F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The first time I pulled my car trailer with my 13 Ecoboost. It would not show my car trailer connected and did not have brakes on my trailer.

But when I loaded a car on my trailer after about 35 mph they worked. The service advisor at my local dealer did not have an answer. We tried the trailer empty with my old 07 150 (aftermarket) brake controler and they worked fine. So I figured it was in my 13 truck.

So before loading it with a 74 IH Scout I wanted to be sure and fix it if it was a truck issue. So I called the Ford Customer Service line. She was clueless, so she called my local dealer direct and let me talk the the (E-Tech) this time. It was late in the day and the Ford Service Server was down so he was going to call me the next day as soon as he found out.

So that got me thinking.....My car trailer is about 7-8 years old and for grinns and giggles I changed out my Brake A Way Battery on the trailer. Hooked it up and same issue. So I left it hooked up over night. And the next morning it worked just fine!

So I called the E-Tech back to tell him I found the issue. If the brake a way battery is down and can't charge it it won't show trailer connected! But when the engine ECM senses a load over a given weight and speed it will override and work! How smart is that!

But I would think with all the neat things this truck will do it could show that on the screen.

However I love how the truck makes the trailer basicly Anti-Lock. It gives the trailer basicly the same brake as you give the truck! If you have the gain set all the way to 10 it sends an equal amount of brake the the trailer as you give the truck. So it won't drag the brakes!

So make sure your Break-A-Way Battery is in good condition or you will have the same issue. And if you know you need trailer brakes then spend a few extra bucks and get the Ford installed trailer brake. It's well worth the investment!

·
Registered
537 Posts
Or if I am reading this correct you could install the relay that allows the F150 to charge the battery of the trailer when hooked. Then the battery not only gets charged but the system works as designed.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was told there is not a relay to install. Like I aways had to do before. And I didn't see any mention of it in the owners manual. I am not sure how old the trailer battery was. I know I had it on my shelf for atleast a few months.

So the truck battery gave it a full charge overnight. Because the next morning it worked perfect.

I ordered this truck with the tow package. So I guess it was installed by Ford or my dealer installed it before delivery.

But the old battery was shot and dead. And the new one just needed a little boost. That was done by the truck overnight.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Mark,

I would double check under the hood to make sure you have the relay and fuse in there. Off the top of my head I cannot remember which slots they are in, but you can check the manual for that info. Myself and quite a few members here were given the truck without them installed. I found mine in the drivers door pocket some found them in the glove box. The truck will supply power to the brakes, but will not charge the battery without the relay.

SPPD

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That was the first thing I looked at and the relay is in. And the brakes work perfect. It was the bad trailer battery that was my issue. But now the truck will alert you this way if there is a fault in the trailer.

With every thing elses this truck can do. If it would have said Trailer Battery fault or not charging would have saved time.

·
Registered
83 Posts
My 2013 has a hard time recognizing the trailer unless all the connections are completely spotless and clean. This past weekend my trailer kept showing "disconnected." I'd pull over, clean everything again with brass brush, and it would work. The OEM brake controller set up is a pain in the butt.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Mark,

I would double check under the hood to make sure you have the relay and fuse in there. Off the top of my head I cannot remember which slots they are in, but you can check the manual for that info. Myself and quite a few members here were given the truck without them installed. I found mine in the drivers door pocket some found them in the glove box. The truck will supply power to the brakes, but will not charge the battery without the relay.

SPPD
What battery are you referring to? I have a dump trailer with a battery that works my hydraulics on the trailer and supposidly the truck charges it but I understand it is only a trickle charge so I usually remove the battery and keep it charged in the garage.
Having this battery removed does not effect my trailer brakes to my knowledge. The trailer has electric brakes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
What battery are you referring to? I have a dump trailer with a battery that works my hydraulics on the trailer and supposidly the truck charges it but I understand it is only a trickle charge so I usually remove the battery and keep it charged in the garage.
Having this battery removed does not effect my trailer brakes to my knowledge. The trailer has electric brakes.
Your trailer brakes are powered by the truck while being towed, but the battery that powers your hydraulics more then likely also powers your trailer break away device. If your truck and trailer become disconnected while towing that battery will power your trailer brakes and stop the trailer. There is a chance that there may be another small battery mounted on your trailer for the break away, but most often for weight and cost reasons if the trailer needs a 12 volt battery to power other things the break away is also powered by that battery. Either way if the battery on the trailer is wired correctly it will charge off the truck while connected.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
8 Participants
Bigern50
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing