F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone i was wondering what in your guys opinion is a good tire to run on trailers. i have a 16 foot flat bed car hauler with dual axles, we keep having problems with the tires going flat or blowing out. or Where is a good spot to buy tires for trailers?

·
Registered
537 Posts
If this is happening too often it may be a good idea to have the axles checked for proper alignment. You maybe scrubbing off the tread and causing an over heating of the rubber situation.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Go to a tire dealer and purchase an actual trailer tire that is rated for the weight and trailer that you are towing.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Almost all trailer tires are import tires in the market today. If the alignment checks out or even if it doesn't I would go to a big box tire store and when you purchase the tires also pick up the road hazard extended tire warranty. It sounds like it would be a good investment in your case.

I have always had good luck with Discount Tire.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I bought mine for our travel trailer at Discount Tire. They are Carlisle tires. I am told that most trailer tires iregardless of the brand are made by Carlisle. Yes, they are imported. I hate it but, that is the way our country has gone.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Go to a tire dealer and purchase an actual trailer tire that is rated for the weight and trailer that you are towing.
the reiler is older than i am so that will be a problem. But ii was starting to think that maybe the axle is messed up cause its the same tire that goes out every time

·
Registered
537 Posts
the reiler is older than i am so that will be a problem. But ii was starting to think that maybe the axle is messed up cause its the same tire that goes out every time
If it is the same tire location over and over I would almost say that the axle or a component there of is your problem. It this a brake axle by any chance? Do you notice any different tread wear pattern from this tire from the others?

On different line of thought, have you tried moving this wheel to a new axle location? Could it be that the wheel itself is bent or slightly out of round and is the cause for the uneven tire wear and early failure.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If it is the same tire location over and over I would almost say that the axle or a component there of is your problem. It this a brake axle by any chance? Do you notice any different tread wear pattern from this tire from the others?

On different line of thought, have you tried moving this wheel to a new axle location? Could it be that the wheel itself is bent or slightly out of round and is the cause for the uneven tire wear and early failure.
No it's the the brake axle. But I had the spare tire on after the tire blow out and the spare blew out as well

·
Registered
537 Posts
I wouldn't put any new tire on it until you find the source of the cause. It could be as simple of replacing the hub assembly and bearings. Cost to DIY it under $40.

Or it could be a bent axle and cost a couple of hundred, but given the price of trailer tires it would pay for itself in quick fashion.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I would agree with many so far. Look to see if the brake is dragging on that side and check the bearings to make sure there isn't excessive heat being transferred to the tire. Do you see any odd treadwear on that tire? Is the sidewall blowing out or is it the tread? Stick with tires that are meant for a trailer. They are designed with a stiffer sidewall as when you turn 2 of them are being dragged over the pavement especially on tight turns. If you have a lot of heat built up in the tire, that could be causing the sidewall blowouts.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Check your axle nuts. I torque mine to about 30'# then back off to hand tight and turn with pliers just enough to the next slot in the castle nut.

Also I run TR225/75-15 Most trailer dealers will spec them with 205's! The taller the tire the lower rolling resistance. And fewer rev per mile.

BUT MAKE SURE YOUR RUNNING (T) OR TRAILER RATED TIRES! LT or P tires do not have sidewall designed for tight turns and can roll the bead off of the wheel!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
7 Participants
markf
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing