F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know much about towing with my Platinum FX4 with Max Towing capabilities. My question is, can I just back up to a trailer and hook it up and go? Is it necessary to Set it up on the instrument panel Trailer Towing settings? PLEASE! I do need a long drawn out explanation how the system works. I just need to know if I absolutely have to change a setting and how do I decide which setting do I sellect? I'm manly asking about towing a large U-Haul trailer.

Any input from someone that know for sure will be appreciated.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The real question is does your trailer have Brakes ? If not, then hook it up and go. I have a small utility trailer that requires no setup. Bigger trailer with brakes, you will probably have to set it up.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
He's talking about a fricking U-Haul trailer... Geez... They have surge brakes if any at all.

Silvercreek, thank you for your service and if that's all you are looking to tow, get the correct size ball and drop bar and hitch it up and go.. I think U-Haul still has their special wiring adapter that you need to buy to plug into your 4 pin so the trailer lights work. (They wire up their trailers different from the standard way to sell you the adapter.. Just hang on to the adapter, so the next time you rent from them, you already have one!)

The only time you have to start doing all the other settings stuff is if you want to use the trailer backup feature or if the trailer has electric brakes, then you will need to fiddle with the brake controller. Then depending on the size of the larger trailer, a WD hitch will usually be required.

But, there is not a U-Haul trailer they offer that will need any of that..

Good luck!

Mitch

·
Premium Member
5,612 Posts
"I do need a long drawn out explanation how the system works"

Are you sure?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,789 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,612 Posts
Surely just a typo. But I couldn't resist. (since I'm the kind of post-er he was likely warding off. :)

I have entirely too much time on my hands.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't know much about towing with my Platinum FX4 with Max Towing capabilities. My question is, can I just back up to a trailer and hook it up and go? Is it necessary to Set it up on the instrument panel Trailer Towing settings? PLEASE! I do need a long drawn out explanation how the system works. I just need to know if I absolutely have to change a setting and how do I decide which setting do I sellect? I'm manly asking about towing a large U-Haul trailer.

Any input from someone that know for sure will be appreciated.
Just hook it up and go. The things I would recommend are using the biggest ball possible so you can load the trailer heavier and make sure your hitch doesn't drop too much or too little. You want the trailer to sit as level as possible. I use a 2" ball on a 3 1/4" drop hitch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just towed an 8x5 UHaul a few weeks ago. I tried to over think it like I do with all things. It was truly Plug and Play. Their plug plugged into the truck lights worked. No Fuss No Muss. Used a 2" ball with a 2" drop. Towed it beautifully.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Flat to slightly nose down.
Load a little heavier to the front.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts