F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Discussion starter · #1 ·
There is so much conflicting information and the sales people are of no help at all - they just tell you what they think I need to know.
I am pulling a 22 ' travel trailer 6000 lbs GVW.
I am concerned the Eco Boost, being 3. litre engine and a small axel ratio that it will not be good at going up a mountain road or against a heavy head wind.
Looks like you can go to 6.5 box to get a larger axel ratio but still the small engine troubles me.

ANy concrete suggestions

I pull a 27 ft Wolf Pack toy hauler with my crew cab running 3.55:1 gears. It will maintain 65 mph up both sides of raton pass, its pulled the trailer up Monarch pass, Cottonwood pass (12,000 feet) on several occasions and never hiccupped. My trailer weighs right at 8,000 pounds loaded with week's worth of gear and the RZR. My last trip to Taylor Park, Colorado, about 1200 miles for the whole trip netted me 9.1 mpg pulling the trailer the whole way. Remember that it will pull close to 90 percent of its 420 lb. ft. of torque as low as 2000 rpm. This thing is torquey. I tow at 65 mph as a rule since the truck, with my trailer seems happiest there and it has never dropped more than 5 mph climbing a hill and that includes 7% grades at elevations of up to 9000 feet. Yes, it will downshift to maintain the steepest grades but you don't have to worry about holding up traffic climbing mountain grades. Its not a diesel, but its close enough to be really happy with towing all but the giants of the trailer world.

P.S. this is my second F-150 Ecoboost. I put 30,000 miles on the first one before going to a 4X4 since a lot of my travels with the trailer involve sand dunes and river areas.

I tow very often, usually at least three times a week. I had planned on using my F-250 for heavy loads and my ecoboost for the light stuff. After using my ecoboost though, I'm considering selling the F-250. The ecoboost is that good. I have pulled a 7'x14' 14k gvwr dump trailer and my 20' 14k gvwr flatbed with no problems. Haven't done a real heavy load yet, but I have no doubt it can handle pretty much anything.

There is so much conflicting information and the sales people are of no help at all - they just tell you what they think I need to know.
I am concerned the Eco Boost, being 3. litre engine and a small axel ratio that it will not be good at going up a mountain road or against a heavy head wind.
Looks like you can go to 6.5 box to get a larger axel ratio but still the small engine troubles me.

ANy concrete suggestions

You can get whatever axle ratio you want independent of the wheel base.

A 3.73 differential is a $100 add on option and is rated to tow the same as the 3.55 differential (9700#).

Max tow includes the 3.73 gears, a beefier hitch and tow mirrors which is a $373 option and will pull 11,300#.

Not sure that the wheelbase affects trailer towing capability at all other than a 5.5' bed will present a challenge for towing a 5th wheel. You need a special hitch that can move behind the rear axle when maneuvering to provide clearance between the front corner of the 5th wheel and your truck cab. I looked at one of these several years ago and they cost appx $5k and weigh about 400#. It uses cam mechanism to move the hitch point as you turn.

Discussion starter · #5 ·
Yes thx - I was on the Ford website and and playing with build and price option. When I got to the bed length the system punted me back to 3.15:1 axle ratio. Then to get it to a 3.73:1 ratio I had to get a 6 1/2 feet box. Go figure. I will have to go to a dealership and try and figure this out. I just don't trust some of those sales people. They are not trained properly for technical issues or want to take the time to figure it out. Yes I am against them, but I have been to enough dealerships over the past 40 years to get this way.

Discussion starter · #6 ·
This is good information - thanks very much.

I am pulling a travel trailer so just a hitch is needed and I do live in a snowy area and go on the ice in the winter so a 4 x 4 is a must

Have only pulled my trailer heavy once. Its a open flatbed with a 3700 lbs car on board so the total is just under 5500. It pulls as good as the 01 Dodge/Cummins I had for a company truck. It also pulls the same rig much better than my personal 01 Ram 1500 w/5.9. Have heard no negatives on bigger stuff and hope soon to upgrade to a 24-28 foot enclosed...someday! Mine is a conservative 3.31 ratio w/6.5 box. Saw just under 14 mpg on the tow as well. I'm more than sold.

I would go with the 3.73 gears and the max tow package if you have any doubts. Look at the a hitch on a F150 without the "max tow" package and then check out one with the max tow package. The extra welds and support gave me a little more piece of mind.

I tow a 24.5ft toy hauler with a dry weight of about 6200 pounds with no problem.

This is good information - thanks very much.

I am pulling a travel trailer so just a hitch is needed and I do live in a snowy area and go on the ice in the winter so a 4 x 4 is a must
I have a Max Tow Pkg with 4x4 and it handles the extreme cold and deep snow fine when pulling a 27' enclosed trailer. If times get rough I just lock the rear diff and there is no questions or issues on getting out. Would recommend upgrading the stock tires to some All terrian E rated brand.

Reactions: Halo
What is the weight limit for a toy hauler for me? I have a '13 EB 3.55 axle Super Crew with a 7100# GVWR and 1607# payload.
I'll be hauling two bikes totaling about 750#. I'm thinking I need to keep it to 6000# fully loaded. That will keep me looking for a toy hauler under 5000# empty.
What do you think?

Your conventional and 5th wheel rating should be the same 9800lbs... Although folks have gone pass their rating with no issues... To be honest the rating on these trucks are set by the company not a standard test or formula and IMO are under rated to avoid bleed over into the F-250 arena. Towing and payload ratings often go up without any modification to the truck... Not saying go out and get a Raptor Toy hauler weighing in at 15k empty just saying there is wiggle room for the lighter toy haulers that might be over the tow rating of your EcoBeast.... If you are going 5th wheel that it’s the hitch weight I would look at more than anything... it’s the brakes and hitch weight that will limit the size of your trailer not Eco and Tranny...

ANy concrete suggestions
Just pulled my 6000# travel trailer for the first time with my EB this weekend and I could not be any happier with how it performs to this task. My previous truck was a 2002 5.4L V8 and the EB has so much more grunt than the older engine it is no contest. I got the 3.73 gears and am glad that I did, 1st gear really gets things going. I did not get the max tow, would have liked to have had the heavier hitch but wanted the regular mirrors.

What is the weight limit for a toy hauler for me? I have a '13 EB 3.55 axle Super Crew with a 7100# GVWR and 1607# payload.
I'll be hauling two bikes totaling about 750#. I'm thinking I need to keep it to 6000# fully loaded. That will keep me looking for a toy hauler under 5000# empty.
What do you think?
I believe the toungue weight is your biggest concern when purchasing your new hauler. I pull between 8500-9000lb toy hauler(loaded). It is an 2002 model unit. It's alot heavier up front then the newer models and I am getting airbags put in this year for that reason. + I traded in a 400kodiak for a rzr s. so I will be a little heavier. I am not worried at all about the weight just where it is placed. A good hook up system is very important as well. There is some good threads here on that topic. Personally I run a equilizer hitch with a stabilizer bar, and have no issues there.good luck!

I see you have many comments already to ease your mind, but I tow a 32' bunk house that weighs in at roughly 8500lbs. When I pulled it through the mountains of Tennessee (3 to 4 degree inclines) I used my cruise control. It was awesome. The 800 mile round trip averaged 9.1 mpg. My buddy drives a Nissan Titan 5.6L V-8 and towed his similar size/weight bunk house on the same trip. He averaged 6.2 mpg.

So here is a little something to ease your mind. First of all you are going to find that the EcoBoost has an enormous amount of power and the second thing you find is that the EcoBoost is a solid towing machine. My wife and I recently purchased a 35' Keystone Cougar High Country 5th wheel. I had some concerns and struggled to get good answers. the people on this forum and a couple of techs at the dealership were a lot of help. I am driving a '13 Eco w/ 3.55's without the max tow or heavy payload. We took delivery of our new coach a couple of weeks ago and our first tow to get to home base was about 150 miles and driving through the Santa Cruz mountain range. The truck towed the coach like a knife cutting through soft butter....no issues and very stable. The Tow/Haul mode works wonderful especially on a downgrade. Tap the brakes a couple of times and it downshifts for engine braking. The new coach weighs 8620 lbs dry and I must say the truck feels like it could handle another 2000 lbs easily. I went to the dealer to purchase a SD diesel and drove out with an EcoBoost and never looked back. I am not one to overwork a vehicle and my vehicles are maintained extremely well. The dealer I purchased the Eco from had my old '06 FX4 sold before it hit the lot and this truck will be as protected and maintained as any of the others I have had.

I see a lot of discussion about climbing the mountains, but not much on coming down. What or method do you experienced mountain drivers use. I will going through the Appalachians in August pulling an 8500# fifth wheel. As I understand it these mountains slopes are as long or high as out west, but they can be steeper. Any comments would be appreciated.

very little engine braking. I towed 7200 lbs 700+ miles in past 2 weeks up and down Continental Divide..very steep and long grades. Ride the brakes and you will lose them.

Here is what I did

1. geared down to 2nd gear which was 5500 rpm at 60mph
2 Turn on a/c since it uses about 10hp and loads engine
3. Turned on every possible high current draw item--increased load on engine alternator
4. Brakes...desired speed for me was 60mph....would let truck hit 65mph and decisively slow down to 55, allow brakes to cool as truck speeds up slowly to 65 and repeat
5. KEEP YOUR DISTANCE you need it for safety and don't want to drive in someones slip stream.

IF u are driving straight engage 4x4 so it provides extra drag

Ensure grandma and her recliner on roof are full upright for increased wind drag.

Windows open for more drag

Platinum owner can engage rocket-assisted braking option Incredible Footage of C-130 JATO | Military.com and also deploy at least 30 degrees of flaps and full spoilers but only below 140 knots.

BTW, when driving down pikes peak, I never have a forced wait/break for brakes to cooldown when checked by ranger at mandatory brake checkpoint...never have to even to use my brakes and I love the look at other drivers when I am allowed to continue and others are force to wait 30 minutes

ANy concrete suggestions

ANy concrete suggestions
No issues with the ecoboost towing!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.