F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very random, but I have a 2013 F150 with the rear sliding window. I had the rear window shatter and replaced with a normal window so the motor is useless but still there. I am planning on buying some train horns and wanted to know if anyone knew if I could wire the horns to the motor and use the switch that interacts with the window. If you do know if it can, it would be great if you could describe to me how. Thank you!

·
Premium Member
2013 Ford F150 XLT 3.5 EgoBeast SuperCrew 4X4, 3.55 axles, 9.75" w/elocker
2,930 Posts
What is the train horn rated at, in amps ?

·
Premium Member
9,089 Posts
What is the train horn rated at, in amps ?
I'm hoping he is intending to use the existing switch/wiring for triggering a relay. It's certainly doable if he makes the effort.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Reactions: GTXLT

·
Premium Member
2,930 Posts
Definitely would be fine electrically for trigger. He didn't say relay. Our stock horns are fairly loud and lowish amperage with pretty small wires. Just dawned on me he might want air horns.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm hoping he is intending to use the existing switch/wiring for triggering a relay. It's certainly doable if he makes the effort.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
I plan to use the switch that is used for the rear sliding window that is on the roof next to the ceiling lights

·
Premium Member
2,930 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,930 Posts
I plan to use the switch that is used for the rear sliding window that is on the roof next to the ceiling lights
We get that. We are trying to help you decide if the rear window circuit is of ample wire size for the current (amperage) draw.

Reactions: Grim Reaper

·
Premium Member
2,930 Posts
Ok. That's quite a bit. Now look in your truck owner's manual and see what size the fuse for the window slide, not the defroster, is. MOF, if you also don't have rear defrost anymore, the fuse to that is probably higher rated of the 2. Find this out.

·
Modinstrator
3,175 Posts
My experience with these is limited but I have installed 2 sets. If you buy these horns as a complete set they will no doubt come with a relay. The ones I installed recommend wiring the relay straight to the battery and used relatively heavy gauge wire for the power supply. Then of course you just route the switch (window button wiring in this example) to the relay. There’s no way that the window switch wiring would handle the draw of the size horns I installed. These little air compressors draw lots of power.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts