F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving on the highway today, I noticed my trans temp was at 192-195. It was about 74* out. This can't be normal right? Running MPT 87 tow tune/chill shifting if that matters. Running empty no towing or hauling. I can't imagine towing something....

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
I'm usually 185-190* unloaded. Highest I've seen us 212* IIRC

Sent from my iDesk air

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I'm about normal? I'm worried when it gets really hot here (95-105) what the temp will be just driving around town.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
Yeah I wouldn't be worried

Sent from my iDesk air

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Mine is always ~188-195 no load. That's in -20 to 70* weather. Low 200's towing. Perfectly normal.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Btrow i read a while back that our tranny coolers have a temp actuated valve inline somewhere.
i wouldnt be concerned with those temps and if you work it a bit that valve will open like the thermostat does

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, cool. Good to know. On my diesel I never saw temps above 180-ish in normal driving conditions. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
868 Posts
maybe i worded that last post incorrectly but the point is that the trans fluid flow is valve controlled by temp either sending to the rad to be warmed during startup or the cooler during running and yea low 200's are of no concern at all even a hard tow if you hit the mid 200's is still within allowed temp range

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Brian for the info. Gives me a piece of mind.

·
Registered
868 Posts
never really payed that much attention to it but i live in a mountainous area and just driving back and forth to work up and down 3 mountains i see tranny temps hitting the 190's as a Daily driver.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Think there is any connection to the growl sound when going to park or reverse to drive? When mine does it, it shudders the cooler lines.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Mine shows at least 190 driving on the highway after it gets warmed up, on up to 205 in the summer. I have seen 215 while towing the boat in hot weather.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
These temps just seemed high to me for normal operating coniditions. On my GMC, I would see about 180 tops in the summer not towing

·
Registered
29 Posts
199º all the time...208º in the highest temps of summer. FMCO told me there is a thermostat somewhere in the fluid track that doesn't open till ~197º. They said that the fluid cooler for the tranny will keep it right where it needs to be in safe operating temps for max fuel economy.

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
I know it's not really necessary, but for my peace of mind...there are supposedly 3 sizes of tranny coolers on these trucks. Does anyone have the part number for the next larger one up from this? ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397441713.774881.jpg

Sent from my HAL9000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
That is, I assume this is the smallest of the three... ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397443111.719848.jpg

Sent from my HAL9000 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 45 Posts