F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 f150 Lariat with the 3.5L and my 4WD system has 2H, 4A, 4H and 4L. Which transfer case do I have and what fluid do I use? Sorry if this has been discussed before....just couldn't find it! DOH!

·
Premium Member
6,588 Posts
You have the really good one. :)

Are you asking for a part #?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The type of case, there are two for that vehicle and the fluid used for the case. I'll know what fluid to use when I know what transfer case I have.

·
Premium Member
6,588 Posts
The fact that you have 4A means that you have the transfer case with an internal clutch. So I guess it would make sense that the two transfer cases might not use the same fluid.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
I have a 2016 f150 Lariat with the 3.5L and my 4WD system has 2H, 4A, 4H and 4L. Which transfer case do I have and what fluid do I use? Sorry if this has been discussed before....just couldn't find it! DOH!
It will show in the owner's manual, but I believe Mercon LV specification is what is called for in your transfer case.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
The type of case, there are two for that vehicle and the fluid used for the case. I'll know what fluid to use when I know what transfer case I have.
Mercon LV is currently the recommended fluid for both T cases, since XL-12 was discontinued.
Side note... XL-12 was basically the same formulation as the old Mercon/Dexron III.
LV formulation is much better than that... noticeably less drag when switching to 4WD in the winter time.

Reactions: WooBoost

·
Registered
527 Posts
I think only Mercon V should not be used as it has been shown to break down the glue holding the clutch material. Other than that, most fluids should work. I use redline D4 in mine, but don't have 4A and no clutches. Mercon LV should be fine.

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
I think only Mercon V should not be used as it has been shown to break down the glue holding the clutch material. Other than that, most fluids should work. I use redline D4 in mine, but don't have 4A and no clutches. Mercon LV should be fine.
Mercon LV is what is in the manual.

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
As noodles said, xl12 was the old Mercon. The Mercon V was said to damage the transfer case, but yet there's probably hundred of thousands of F series on the road with the Mercon V in there bc For put it in factory. The xl12 was just a tsb/moving forward, which they have now switched to LV. The 4A had LV, now Ford says run LV in both. LV is same as transfluid in 6r80. Makes it easier.

So as I have said many times, T case(non auto) has Mercon, Mercon V and Mercon LV in them.....in the same transfer case Nothing has changed. IMO it does not matter what fluid of these is in there, if you service it. It is just a chain inside on a gear lol.

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
I did mine around 83k miles and it was a little cruddy. Not terrible. But I do use my 4A a lot and 4hi here and there.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Not having a transfer case with 4A, I can use anything, so it's not an issue for me, but why does Mercon V specifically state "do not use in transfer cases" on the bottle if "hundreds of thousands" are on the road with it? Those without 4A can get away with it..

The Borg Warner torque on demand transfer case is more than a chain and gears...it has clutches that creates the AWD system. It's those clutches that don't play well with mercon V. Rather than have people speculate and accidently use the wrong fluid, they carpet bomb everyone with the same info not to use it, I suspect. Since the OP has 4A, it might be best to avoid any possible issue.

I think this fellow has quite a bit of experience with ford's issues:

Anecdotal evidence:

·
Registered
30 Posts
If it can make the OP more confortable, I use Amsoil MERCON LV in my 2019
Lariat Transfer case without problem

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
Maybe you didnt read my post because you just agreed with me.

I specifically said "non auto" meaning not 4a. 4a is a recent thing and has only used LV fluid from the start.

My post:
"So as I have said many times, T case(non auto) has Mercon, Mercon V and Mercon LV in them "

When i researched this whole thing over a year ago, it was stated the V came from the factory in years of F series (meaning 1/2/350) transfer cases. The "exploding" transfer case was few and far between. That is why they only issued a TSB to use the XL12, which is just Mercon and not a recall. It is the same transfer case for decades and has had mercon, mercon v and mercon lv specified for it, yet nothing has changed inside...but if youre going to change it, might as well change with the latest specified fluid.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
As previously mentioned, Do NOT use Mercon V.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Roger that.
My only concern was if the OP read that Mercon V was ok to use and ended up with damage. Again, not having any skin in the game (lowly XLT here) I figured redline was a good choice.

Maybe you didnt read my post because you just agreed with me.

I specifically said "non auto" meaning not 4a. 4a is a recent thing and has only used LV fluid from the start.

My post:
"So as I have said many times, T case(non auto) has Mercon, Mercon V and Mercon LV in them "

When i researched this whole thing over a year ago, it was stated the V came from the factory in years of F series (meaning 1/2/350) transfer cases. The "exploding" transfer case was few and far between. That is why they only issued a TSB to use the XL12, which is just Mercon and not a recall. It is the same transfer case for decades and has had mercon, mercon v and mercon lv specified for it, yet nothing has changed inside...but if youre going to change it, might as well change with the latest specified fluid.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts